Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Destroyer!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Noel23/07/2017 20:14:09
250 forum posts
70 photos

Here is a lovely old Destroyer that I was lucky enough to pick up on ebay recently.

20170722_114320

The gentleman I purchased it from had acquired it in a poor state and re-built it from the deck upwards. He also had a handful of old box-brownie sized snapshots of it in it's original form (which was not dissimilar to its rebuilt state).

On the back on one photo it is written "HMS Thunder", so I intend that that shall be her name! Although I have not found any documented Destroyer or similar sized vessel ever named this.

The hull is from a single carved piece of timber and is quite a nice shape.

Only had about 1 minute of time on the water before the UJ came loose on the prop, but it went well. There was an action electronics Destoyer siren with it that I just need to connect up.

Whoop whoooop!

ashley needham23/07/2017 20:27:29
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Is that the mascot on the shelf???

​Can confirm, very nice boat. Hewn from a single mighty oak (possibly) and finished to a good standard. A few additions and it will look really nice.

Notr to Noel: check your nuts before sailing....

Ashley

harry smith 124/07/2017 08:20:13
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

HI Ashley

Always check you grub screws and nuts and keep them dry!!!

Harry

Noel24/07/2017 10:06:17
250 forum posts
70 photos

He he, didn't notice the dog sneaking into shot. He is very easy to look after, just requires AA batteries.

I can't work out if this is really a Destroyer or a Sloop or something, but it looks more Destroyer-ish to me.
I am going to make the turrets rotate (once the important stuff is done like a prop that actually turns), and add some signal flags.

One thing that strikes me is the depth charge rack at the stern prevents an ensign being flown... would a vessel such as this have a second mast of some kind toward the stern for such a purpose?

Noel.

ashley needham24/07/2017 10:54:50
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Probably not a mast as such, just a pole for the ensign I would have thought.

​Ashley

Kev.W24/07/2017 11:09:15
326 forum posts
38 photos

It would be flown from an ensign staff attached to the rear of the mainmast, or the second mast if fitted.

Ensign staffs were also fitted to the left of centre at the stern if they could not be mounted on the centre line.

**LINK**

Kev.W24/07/2017 11:13:30
326 forum posts
38 photos

My tug shows how an ensign staff is located on the main mast, albiet for a red ensign in this case.

dutch rebalanced 9.4.17.jpg

Noel24/07/2017 12:22:01
250 forum posts
70 photos

Thank you.

Ensign staff on the port side I think, that seems simplest.

Noel26/07/2017 11:49:35
250 forum posts
70 photos

Here's a couple of snaps that came with it of it's original configuration.

20170726_114050
It had a lot more AA armament and twin turrets all round, still its current guise suits me as there's lots of scope to add bits, and its kind of in-keeping with my modelling capabilities!
Noel26/07/2017 12:04:24
250 forum posts
70 photos

Next thing was trying to get to the bottom of the leak that caused quite a bit of water to come in during its brief trial on Sunday.

I put a plastic washer/collar on the propshaft as this should stop anything coming up the tube:

20170725_203539

I then floated it in a paddling pool for about 20 minutes, and lo and behold there was a small puddle form towards the bow/midships:
There was a bit of step here, and a couple of what looked like old screw holes, so I painted it with PVA:

20170725_203114

I still couldn't work out why so much had come in on Sunday, then I realised the anchor ports on the bow are not just cosmetic, and I recalled the bow wave being so pronounced it reached up past them. So that accounts for why it was so wet inside.

Anyway this morning I thought I'd better check if the PVA coat had solved the static leak, so I removed all electrical items and filled the vessel with water.
After 20 minutes or so there was no significant leak from the prop tube (good), or anywhere else - but there was this seepage and a small puddle on the worktop from what I thought was a cosmetic crack in the bow:
20170726_112634

So there it is. What is the best way to seal this up without major re-finishing?
Ashley you spoke of eeze-kote? Would that do the trick?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Noel.

Edited By Noel on 26/07/2017 12:09:43

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor