By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Help identifying porthole/window frame part (first post)

Requesting help from eagle eyed modellers of an old model boat accessory part

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Delamar23/05/2008 20:33:00
18 forum posts

hello there guys

Im a little ashamed to admit that I have joined this forum to ask you chaps of your vast knowledge

my names Mike 24 from Liverpool, and I am a big model making fan, particulary model railways and Gerry Anderson sci fi shows

still awake? ;D

im sorry I do appreciate great model making, but I do know very little about ships and boats.

what it is, I am constructing a replica of a weird and wacky helijet vehicle from the 1960s TV show Thunderbirds, using the original 1960s aurora, revell and hawk kit parts as the studio model did,

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/michaeldelz/vlcsnap-91880.png

problem is, stuck on the side is a rectangular porthole/window frame with rivet detail, Ive been told this may be from ripmax? as a detail accessory for wooden boats
you can see it painted silver on the side of the picture above

but Ive been searching the net for ages now trying to find this out, it is approx 20mm x 35mm and I cant find it at all, and it is holding up my build

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/michaeldelz/003b.jpg

does anyone recognise this part at all? I would be very greatfull for any help

and I dont mind any micky taking at all  ;D

thanks

Mike

Paul T23/05/2008 20:58:00
7232 forum posts
1226 photos
2 articles

Hi Mike

Why should any of us take the micky over your choice of model, in fact I think that the Thunderbird series had some very gifted model builders.

Can't help with the part but I would suggest that it would not be to hard to make your own out of plasticard.....this might be your only option given the lapse of time.

So Thunderbirds are GO

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1859/thund1.jpg

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/1859/thund2.jpg

Paul

Tony Hadley23/05/2008 21:35:00
909 forum posts
551 photos

Hi Mike,

Certainly would not wish to for any 'micky taking'. Some years ago a colleague moulded 'Stingray' in fibreglass. He regularly sailed this dynamic diving in lakes in the NW of England ( the illuminated craft sailed just under the surface) Much as I tried I couldn't persuade him to mould me a hull. Contact was lost over the years.

p.s. the theme tune to 'Fireball XL5' is superb.

Good luck, Tony

Michael Delamar23/05/2008 21:37:00
18 forum posts

thanks fat controller and Tony

a few people have made replicas, and they have scratchbuilt the window, it aint a problem, just wondered if it was a part that was still available, it seems to be a bit of a minefield of all the accessory detailing parts that are available, realise it was over 40 years ago, I think I may need to have a look at a ripmax or similar catalogue from the period?

Thunderbirds and thomas the tank in fact, are the reason why I got interested in model making from an early age, and my thunderbirds projects are a bit of light relief away from normal model railway building

cheers

Mike

Michael Delamar23/05/2008 22:07:00
18 forum posts

"Some years ago a colleague moulded 'Stingray' in fibreglass"

I would love a RC stingray or maybe Thunderbird 4 if it actually would work as a real submarine so will be sticking round to learn

with regard the window porthole thingy ( I dont know terminology that well which is probably why Im having trouble searching) the only thing Ive come close to so far is a picture of a real one

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/michaeldelz/da33_1.jpg

Mike

Paul T24/05/2008 14:03:00
7232 forum posts
1226 photos
2 articles

Mike

You are a man after my own heart, I also started model building after watching Fireball XL5, Stingray and most of all Thunderbirds.

I would dearly love to build a 6ft model of Stingray (I saw one once when I was a child and it was the most amazing model that I had ever seen) but I am not to sure regarding the dynamics of diving such a large model.

The technical term for the porthole thingy is Window.....

Good luck with the build and please let us know how you get on.

Paul

Michael Delamar24/05/2008 14:08:00
18 forum posts

hehe ok window it is

any idea what type of boat it would be from? anything to narrow the search down

id imagine the scale would be 1/24

is there any accessory manufacturers from the 1960s that are still going now?

I dont think there would have been as many as there are now

i realise its probably a crude accessory that people maybe wouldnt use nowadays?

and yeah will keep up to date if people are interested

cheers

Mike

Paul T24/05/2008 14:27:00
7232 forum posts
1226 photos
2 articles

Hi Mike

Sorry for the technical terminology but after a life time in the building game I have just got used to all the technical jargon

I don't know where to get such a window frame from as I tend to scratch build my own, all I can suggest is trawling through all the model shops and looking at all their old stock.

If people who like Star Trek are called "Trekkies" what are people who like Thunderbirds called?

Perhaps "Gerryites" or "Andersonites"

Vinnie will know.

Paul

Michael Delamar24/05/2008 19:26:00
18 forum posts

gerry atrics?

someone suggested they may be from a firm called Billings, wondering if that name rings a bell with anyone?

cheers

Mike

mick24/05/2008 20:27:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya michael delamar

i like to see something a bit different try macsmouldings@hotmail.co.uk he does windows

in different scales for model life boats he might have something to help with your model

hope this helps mick  and happy modelling

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor