Wavemaster

Les Rowell Wavemaster

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Noel11/06/2017 22:01:54
250 forum posts
70 photos

Hello,

I've joined this forum as I have been getting into a bit more model boat stuff recently after I finished off an old Wavemaster kit that was started in the late 1960s.

Anyway here it is:

20170611_150430

It's powered by a MFA Torpedo 850, direct driving a 45mm two bladed prop.

Speed controller is a Graupner Navy 40 amp.

I run it at 12v from a 3700mAh NiMH pack that is mounted just aft the cockpit.

It planes nicely with a 12v pack and you get a good hours action with 3.7Ah, as long as you aren't flat out all the time. The motor doesn't get too warm, but then again it is exposed above the cockpit floor.

Radio gear is an e-flite DSM setup with a cheapo DSM2 receiver. All seems to work very well.

Thought I would list these specs here as when I was building it I was struggling to find info on exact motor / prop / battery size - but I think I have been lucky as it's all worked out well. Hopefully any other newbies like me building one will find this useful.

The nav lights are all working and steaming lights too.

Next bits to finish off are a steering wheel, instrument panel and a seat for the driving position. I need to glaze the windscreens too.

20170606_100729

Anyone know what scale these are supposed to be? I was thinking of a 5-6" tall driver, but am guessing the boat is around 1:15 scale yes?

Noel.

ashley needham12/06/2017 10:06:20
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Noel. Nice centre deck section, matches very well. Cocktail table to hide the motor??

​Wouldn't worry about the exact scale. As any driver that looks about right will do, in fact, finding any figure to suit will be your problem. Try, as a suggestion, some card figures in various sizes, to see which looks best as a w3ay of finding the right size.

SOME people of course do not like ruining their carefully crafted boats with dolls...

Ashley

fantome crew#2

Noel12/06/2017 11:07:45
250 forum posts
70 photos

Cocktail table good idea!

Not averse to having Barbie and Ken as crew, I mean it's a pleasure cruiser not an MTB!

Forgot to add for info, the handrail and nav light mouldings are from DJ Designs. Very good value products.

BTW the mast has a 3mm LED at the top as a steaming light. I made this by carving the basic mast shape from balsa, then split it in half and hollowed out space for the LED and wiring, before PVAing it all back together. I thought this was easier than attempting to drill it's entire length and making a mess of it.

ashley needham13/06/2017 13:59:57
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Yes the old "two partswithslotinandgluedbacktogether" trick works fine.

​Dolls in my case are "Pippa" dolls, at least, there is a Pippa, her BF (Peter I think it was) and a Britney!! They are 6 inches, and took some finding at various toy fairs.

​They are most appropriate as they were used as crew for the original box-photo as stuck on the Fantome box when it was first made. Pete even has the same jumper on as per illustration!

Will try to remember to pack a Pippa and a 5 inch figure in the car to try in your boat if we were to meet at some time.

Ashley

ashley needham18/06/2017 14:29:57
7394 forum posts
159 photos

A 135mm figure was perceived to be a good fit. Good luck with finding something suitable!! Ashley

Noel19/06/2017 10:09:06
250 forum posts
70 photos

Thank you for the figure try-out. It was a good size. Will be on the lookout.

Noel03/08/2017 10:52:03
250 forum posts
70 photos

I never updated on here with the figure I eventually got to helm the boat!

image.jpg

He is a 5" Doctor Who character called Rory. I chose him because he is sensibly attired and his arms and legs are quite mobile.

I have added a moustache, which I think gives him the kind of gravitas required to helm a substantially sized and powered motor craft!

harry smith 104/08/2017 07:49:06
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi Noel

Beautiful boat with a handsome pilot.

He waits for a fair maid to travel with him !!!!

As for the windows try the fold down car anti-glare night/day visors, these are cheap.

Two panels light orange(night) and light greyish/black(day).

I only paid $1 for a set.

Harry Smith

ashley needham04/08/2017 09:40:39
7394 forum posts
159 photos

By the looks of things he is sitting next to a 5,000 hp electric motor judging by the size of it !!!

Can you remind me what the squiggly red wire is please??

Ashley

Noel04/08/2017 11:12:08
250 forum posts
70 photos

It is the antenna from the DSM2 receiver that is mounted in the ceiling of the forward cabin. Was the highest place I could mount it, and also convenient because the antenna could poke through into the open air.

I like the idea of tinted windscreen using sun visor. Will look out for one.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor