Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Oil Tanker

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson03/05/2017 18:49:33
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Been drawing again - Oil tanker Algol, completed by Cammell Laird's, Birkenhead in 1977.

Bob

algol.jpg

Peter Fitness05/05/2017 23:48:07
508 forum posts
215 photos

I have more than a passing interest in oil tankers. My late father worked for the Shell Company here in Australia for his entire working life, over 45 years, and I was able to visit a couple of the ships as a young lad. Are you going to build a model of her Bob?

Peter.

Bob Wilson06/05/2017 06:33:31
1673 forum posts
301 photos

I doubt it. I built one of her about 40 years ago just after the ship came out. There is even less interest in tankers than other types of merchant ship. The older ones with split accommodation were very attractive, and even the Algol looks better than the modern monstrositiessurprise The only reason I drew this plan was as an ilustration for my next book: "From Good Hope to St Helena." It is nothing to do with model shipbuilding, but is part of my autobiography from 1974 onwards. The last part from 1979 to late 1992 has already been published in printed form, and sold outof hundreds of copies. This one looks set to be a bit of a "damp squib" as I put the first chapter online yesterday for a nominal sum of £1.49 - about the price of a cup of coffee, in order to estimate the interest. In 24 hours, the synopsis has been viewed 199 times, but no interest whatsoever shown! Neverthless, it will still be printed, but I will probably only go for a very limited print run. Maybe 30 copies. In 1976, I became part of the building team for the Algol at Cammell Laird's shipyard, Birkenhead, England. I stood by the final stages of the building for three months, did both sets of sea trials in the ship, and then sailed in her for six months - and that was six months too long! Hated being in a tanker, and couldn't wait to get back to passenger ships. I managed it eventually, but not until 1979. After than, I will only have my early career from 1961 to 1965 to write up.

Bob

John W E06/05/2017 19:12:43
263 forum posts
257 photos

Hi ya Bob

Are you not going to tell the readers - and those who have had nothing to do with oil tankers - one of the main downsides with them - the smell of the crude oil - there is no way to describe this smell - but, it gets into your skin and on your clothes and it stays with you for days (even when you have left the ship) you can smell it on ya body.

One of the jobs an apprentice in the shipyard has (as I know) what we used to call extended spindles on the oil tankers and basically on the deck of a tanker ship you have many handwheels which control valves down in the bowels of the tanks; one of the jobs of the apprentice was to remove the long spindles and repair them. You were working in the tanks for days on end (obviously going home and back ) everyone in the street knew there was a tanker in -they  could smell it -on you

then the valves had to be stripped down and overhauled - oh happy days

john

Edited By bluebird on 06/05/2017 19:15:05

Edited By bluebird on 06/05/2017 19:15:43

Bob Wilson06/05/2017 20:27:48
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Hi John,

You were working inside them though! We could smell the oil right enough when pumping, especially in calm, hot weather, but it was OK inside with the air conditioning on. But the A/C kept losing the gas through pipes that kept cracking, and we couldn't open the windows, so it was often like a furnace inside. I remember looking at the extended spindles during the building, but the tanks were all clean at that time, of course. I think anyone who sailed in tankers during the war were possessed of a very high degree of courage that was seldom recognised. But we got used to non-recognition in the MNfrown Still, would do it all again, if I had the chance (MN 1960 - 1992 Colliers to some of the finest passenger liners in the world), plus the Algol!face 24

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor