By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Motorised plastic duck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Broome03/05/2017 18:39:19
1 forum posts

I need help, I would like to build a Motorised plastic duck & am looking for a local club to help me, I live in Rossendale Postcode BB44DW, why would anybody wish to build a Motorised plastic duck? Simple I am a member of the Ramsbottom Rotary club & we hold a duck race each year & would like to have a Motorised plastic duck as a attraction - it takes all sorts, so can any one help me. Thanks & regards Keith

Kip Woods03/05/2017 23:16:59
265 forum posts
35 photos

If there is still a model shop in Blackburn, they would know of any clubs in the area.

Or you could try this one :- http://bmmmsuk.yolasite.com/

Edited By Kip Woods on 03/05/2017 23:44:17

Malcolm Frary05/05/2017 21:08:07
893 forum posts
Posted by Kip Woods on 03/05/2017 23:16:59:

If there is still a model shop in Blackburn, they would know of any clubs in the area.

Or you could try this one :- **LINK**

Edited By Kip Woods on 03/05/2017 23:44:17

.or even Bury or Heywood. I recall seeing a model shop near the Bury interchange A LOT of years ago. I was waiting for an East Lancs line train at the time.

A thing to find in the early stages is a gun sport shop to find a decoy duck, the usual starting point.  Or maybe a Mothercare branch to see if they have a large "rubber ducky", if yellow is OK.

Edited By Malcolm Frary on 05/05/2017 21:13:01

Tony Hadley05/05/2017 21:29:55
897 forum posts
536 photos

The model shop disappeared some years ago and the shop has seen a change of use more than once. I knew the owner, he directed the shop more towards model car racing. He was more of a businessman than a dedicated modeller, his previous business before the shop was a petrol station and car repair garage.

Other than the Bury Club, as Malcolm suggests, the Heywood Club is not too far away. Another thought is the Bolton (North West Scale Club) at Horwich.

**LINK**

**LINK**

ashley needham06/05/2017 09:00:24
6599 forum posts
150 photos

Keith.

​Just had a quick squint on `T internet and decoy ducks can be had to a tenner, so not dear (no they are Ducks!!!!)
​There would be two ways to motorise this. Possibly the easiest would be to make a "sub" out of commercial plastic pipe, screw-on ends, and ballast this so that it forms a simple submersible unit underneath the Duck (so the duck does not have to be altered) OR cut up the Duck and put conventional boating gear inside it. The ease of this depends on the decoy construction.

​Although this is an attractive idea, it will not be particularly cheap for a one off outing.

​Using the cheapest components and having a simple forwards only setup..you may be looking at
​motor..£5, propshaft/prop 3, coupling 2, aircraft ESC 10, servo for rudder 5, rudder assemply 10, battery box for AA rechargeable batts 3, radio set 40, and of course the Duck 10 and finally epoxy glue 5.

​It all adds up. For those of us who have been doing this for ages , we will have most of this laying around, and radio sets to use, etc etc.and it would not cost too much.

I just thought I would point this out. Unfortunately I am miles away however perhaps approaching the nearest MB club or indeed any r/c club may provide some assistance, someone near enough to help.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 06/05/2017 09:01:53

Mark Jarvis 213/05/2017 10:44:19
217 forum posts

Hi Keith, my club mates have several ducks and swans we use to amuse the visitor to the park, contact EMBC on the web that might give you a starting point, we are based in the Stockport area so not that far from you

Mark

Dave Milbourn13/05/2017 12:25:09
4002 forum posts
282 photos

But it had better not be a high-speed racing duck, m' duck!
DM

Dave Milbourn18/05/2017 14:12:56
4002 forum posts
282 photos

I just spotted this on "the other" forum **LINK**

Not a million miles from you either.

DM

Paul T18/05/2017 19:03:28
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

A plastic duck and a jetex motor would make a fun combination

Dave Milbourn18/05/2017 19:11:32
4002 forum posts
282 photos

Pffffst...? How much fun do you need?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor