Forum sponsored by Dremel

Twin Brushless Set Up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T30/03/2017 19:16:52
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Has anyone got a simple wiring diagram for a twin brushless set up.

I am looking for a system having twin motors, twin ESCs but using a single stick on the tx.

Paul

Malcolm Frary30/03/2017 20:42:37
1043 forum posts

If both motors are run together, a three wire Y lead to connect the ESC to the RX and a big knobbly Y lead to hook the battery to the ESCs. (Black to black, red to red)

Kev.W30/03/2017 23:12:45
341 forum posts
38 photos

For brushless, it is 3 wires from esc to motor instead of 2.

Edited By Kip Woods on 30/03/2017 23:20:55

Dodgy Geezer31/03/2017 10:42:50
818 forum posts
59 photos

In theory you should not be able to run two brushless from a single ESC, since the ESC depends on feedback from the motor to adjust its switching rate, and two motors ought to confuse it.

In practice there are reports that it can be done. See **LINK** for instance.

Don't get me onto the more esoteric problems of running two motors in series from the same battery! But the link I gave does touch on the interesting issue of running two brushless motors from a single ESC on the same shaft... nerd

Paul T31/03/2017 11:27:03
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Dear All

Thank you for your answers, If I use Kips very helpful drawing to explain my lack of understanding you might better understand my query.

Does the straightforward connection (shown in red) provide a constant and equal 50/50 split of the signal from the Y lead or do I need some kind of mixer?

this juct.jpg

Dave Milbourn31/03/2017 11:38:27
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Paul
Not that it's in any way in my nature to disagree [well, not often] but in my opinion trying to double up two motors onto one ESC and/or battery is just asking for trouble, especially with brushless motors. My advice is always to treat a twin-motor installation as two single motor ones i.e. fit two of everything. That way a) it puts less load on the batteries and ESCs; b) if there is a fault it's easier to find and fix, and c) you're still left with one functioning motor if the other fails while sailing.
The second point is that twin motors with two ESCs allows you to use tank-steering - far superior to a mixer for low-speed manoeuvring.
I've just seen your post above as I hit the Send key on mine. The answers are respectively Yes and No, but see my comments earlier.

DG
If you need extra power on one shaft then why not just fit a more powerful motor - unless you're the type that also likes standing up in a hammock?

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 31/03/2017 11:40:55

Dodgy Geezer31/03/2017 12:35:55
818 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 31/03/2017 11:38:27:

DG

If you need extra power on one shaft then why not just fit a more powerful motor - unless you're the type that also likes standing up in a hammock?

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 31/03/2017 11:40:55

I've never wanted twin brushless on one shaft - this is Amos of RC Groups talking! Since he's a flyer, perhaps he wanted lots of power with a low frontal cross-section?

In any case, he is able to quantify the disadvantages from practice, which is always useful...

Dodgy Geezer31/03/2017 13:27:10
818 forum posts
59 photos

Incidentally, we haven't mentioned the BEC issue.

ESCs often provide a BEC service to power the receiver. If you have two ESCs you have two BECs trying to power the receiver, and this may cause problems. I would take the RED wire out of one of the ESC sockets and tape it back on the wire so it can be used again if necessary. This means that only one of the ESC BECs is providing power to the receiver.

If you are using a separate receiver battery (a better solution) I would remove the red wires from both ESCs if they include BECs. This link may help... **LINK**

Dave Milbourn31/03/2017 14:10:16
4025 forum posts
282 photos

DG

Nothing personal, old thing. I used the word "you" where, more correctly, I could have used "one" i.e. "if one were to require additional power on one shaft then why would one not fit a more powerful motor - unless one was also of the type inclined towards standing up in a hammock". However not many folk respond favourably to such arcane grammar, hence the more colloquial "you". I doubt that Oxford English is the first language of Amos of RC Groups anyway.

BEC is a subject which is understood by relatively few. Amazing really, because it's so straightforward. I totally agree about using a separate battery pack for the receiver but sometimes either weight or space precludes this.

DM

Paul T31/03/2017 15:20:19
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Why is it that whenever I ask a simple question the answer has to include Amos in a hammock trying to steer a tank through Oxford with a side order of BECs marinated in red wires.

So before we descend into the depths of arcane grammar and discussions about the validity of using quantum theory to prove that never ending gobstoppers actually travel backwards in time can we just establish that Kips very helpful drawing is the answer to my query.

Can I assume that if I have 2 batteries, 2 ESCs 2 brushless motors with a single receiver and that I get the sellotape tight enough on the Y lead Y connection then everything is ok?

Paul wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor