All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Model Engineer Exhibition 2016

Model Engineer Exhibition 2016

Colin Bishop Reports

Chris Sprecckley25/02/2017 17:58:12
1 forum posts

Hi: I don't know whether any of you guys can help but my search has proved fruitless for a RC ., model yacht club in the Northwest of England that caters for the Fairwind 900 which surely falls into the meter or 36" class but is seemingly outlawed from any racing class that I can source on the Internet.. Is it a] too old, b] too slow, or c] a deprecated class for some reason or other? I read of it as a racing boat and of a class in North America but not England. Help!

Chris Spreckley

Malcolm Frary26/02/2017 09:21:11
831 forum posts

If it was to be raced, it would be as part of a "one design" class. A club running an open or a handicap event or would be able to let you sail in a race. Anyway, more than one sailboat on the water at the same time is, effectively, a race. No prizes apart from bragging rights, but a race will be in progress.

The Fairwind, whatever the makers might say, is not a racer. It is a cruising boat with good performance on the right day. Any "real" racer of similar size will only have problems when lapping it some time between the first and second marks.

Edited By Malcolm Frary on 26/02/2017 09:22:11

Harvey Spreckley 226/02/2017 11:27:09
10 forum posts

Malcolm,

Thanks for your cheery reply which I respect and in fact follow the line, (regretfully at times in my but few short years...................) that competition is always just around the corner. I agree that the Fairwind is indeed a plodder looking for force 4 or more to move off the mark. She does of course point extremely well at least with my full boat rig which could be quite useful when rounding the windward mark against competition all given force 5+.

I have now found the seemingly junk yard racing rules of the 36R register, that is still missing from most of the local clubs class's that I have researched, however they state that as long as it floats and fits into a box 36" long and 9" wide and all given that the height from bottom of keel to top of topsides is no greater than 11" it can race even if the superstructure and sails reach the skyline or gunnels of the QE2. So; Now, is there a club within 35 miles of Ringway airport that supports 36R, before I step into building my Kevlar IOM., having remortgaged the house and dripped up the car.

Chris S.

Bob Abell26/02/2017 11:56:58
8577 forum posts
2648 photos

Chris R

There is a very nice club within your range of 35 miles of Ringway.........Etherow

We don't do your Fairwind or R class but do mainly Fiesta and another class, which escapes me at the moment

Have a look at our Club blog.........Etherow Model Boat Club in Compstall, Stockport/ Marple area

Bob

Gareth Jones26/02/2017 18:52:36
785 forum posts
1067 photos

Chris,

The very generous Bob Abell mentioned your post when we were having a cup of tea in his lounge earlier today. The MYA handbook dropped through my letterbox yesterday and I checked the clubs listing to see if there were any near you that race 36R class yachts. The nearest is apparently the Alexandra MYC based at Sykes Reservoir, Edgeley, Stockport, SK3 9RQ who also list IOM. The contact is given as Dave Hadfield 0161 4856371

Llandudno MYC and Fleetwood MYC also list 36R yachts but that would be a bit more than 35 miles I guess Llandudno is mainly, if not completely, vane 36 racing

Alas, none of the clubs in the north of England list Fairwinds in their racing fleets.

Gareth

P.S. Bob, Pocahontas and Britannia arrived safely in their new home a couple of hours ago - thanks very much.

Edited By Gareth Jones on 26/02/2017 18:53:20

Bob Abell26/02/2017 19:30:06
8577 forum posts
2648 photos

Many thanks, Gareth and Elizabeth.......We know they have gone to a good home

Chris

The other racing class we use, are the J Class

Very popular on Tuesdays and Thursdays.........In any weather too!

The poor things!

Bob

Bob Abell27/02/2017 07:33:31
8577 forum posts
2648 photos

Typical J class race with a couple of Fiesta's

In the background are the Toilets, Cafe and Wardens office

Bob

image.jpeg

Harvey Spreckley 227/02/2017 14:36:43
10 forum posts
Posted by Gareth Jones on 26/02/2017 18:52:36:

Chris,

The very generous Bob Abell mentioned your post when we were having a cup of tea in his lounge earlier today. The MYA handbook dropped through my letterbox yesterday and I checked the clubs listing to see if there were any near you that race 36R class yachts. The nearest is apparently the Alexandra MYC based at Sykes Reservoir, Edgeley, Stockport, SK3 9RQ who also list IOM. The contact is given as Dave Hadfield 0161 4856371

Llandudno MYC and Fleetwood MYC also list 36R yachts but that would be a bit more than 35 miles I guess Llandudno is mainly, if not completely, vane 36 racing

Alas, none of the clubs in the north of England list Fairwinds in their racing fleets.

Gareth

P.S. Bob, Pocahontas and Britannia arrived safely in their new home a couple of hours ago - thanks very much.

Edited By Gareth Jones on 26/02/2017 18:53:20

Gareth,

Very many thanks for your post and the very sound advice given by Mr., Bob Able, I have looked at the Etherow and met a few of their members including the the founder. All were very helpful but I felt that Fairwind would be running in shallow waters as it seems almost everywhere that I look. Fleetwood and Birkenhead have indicated that they do not cater for the Fairwind but they do very heavily I believe support IOM. My last yacht racing was carried out under the RORC.'s IOR., measurement formula so I am biased now in that direction. I somehow have missed the Alexander and as my thinking is now changing to building an IOM., boat that may be the local opening that I have been looking for; attempting to contact Mr., David Hadfield for other venues has proved for some reason or other fruitless. I have also contacted the newly formed Trafford MBC., who trend in very powerful petrol engine boats but who have welcomed me with very open arms as their first and only sailing member; this does of course obviate any competition so leaving me as the winner without even a start. So: Immediately upon signing off here I will pursue the Alexander,

Many thanks for now,

Chris Spreckley.

Harvey Spreckley 227/02/2017 14:40:11
10 forum posts
Posted by Bob Abell on 27/02/2017 07:33:31:

Typical J class race with a couple of Fiesta's

In the background are the Toilets, Cafe and Wardens office

Bob

Looks like a very nice day for it; I d not understand J & Fiesta classes but it looks good close fun.

Cheers hope to meet up one day.#

Chris S.

image.jpeg

Harvey Spreckley 227/02/2017 14:52:47
10 forum posts

Dear Gareth,

Immediately attempted to contact the Alexander, found Mr., David Hadfield as the contact and phoned him but received 'no reply'. I used to know a David Hadfield of Hadfield's Carpets Stockport and many years ago we were good friends; is this the same or a different David Hadfield would you know?

Chris S.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor