Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Where to get correct color for Bluenose II

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Arnold 330/12/2016 23:42:02
141 forum posts
6 photos

I am currently building a Bluenose II schooner from a kit. The instructions are quite good but there is no mention on correct colors to paint the hull. There are heaps of images available showing the colors of the hull (one is obviously black and the other is a dark rusty red brown color) for both the models and the real boat.

If anyone has built this boat I would glad to find out what they used

Thanks

Bob Wilson31/12/2016 07:54:48
1674 forum posts
181 photos

There are hundreds of colour photographs of it on the internet here: **LINK**

Black above wataer, red oxide below with a white stripe separating the wo colours.

Bob

John Arnold 331/12/2016 11:52:02
141 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Bob

Yes I mentioned that there are heaps of images of the Bluenose II.

Thanks for the color name below the water line but the big problem I have is getting that color in a suitable paint.

I guess I could have acrylic house paint tinted to any color I want but would house paint 'work' on a timber model.

John

Colin Bishop31/12/2016 12:06:35
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

For red oxide use a automotive primer, preferable a spray can. You can then seal it with satin lacquer or alternatively give it a coat of Ronseal Mattcoat polyurethane varnish.

Halford's Matt Black spray will do very well for the upper hull.

**LINK**

Don't use house paints, they are water based these days and never really go hard so will be susceptible to scratches.

If you are not confident about painting the white stripe accurately then use Trimline vinyl tape which is very thin and will stick well (it's waterproof).

**LINK**

Colin

Bob Wilson31/12/2016 12:23:35
1674 forum posts
181 photos

I also use Halford's red oxide spray for underwater. Another excellent Halford's black is Satin Black.

Bob

John Arnold 331/12/2016 22:16:33
141 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Bob

I 'googled' Halfords paint as I have never heard of it (here in Australia) and the only 'hits' I got were about automotive paint. At Halfords web site I could only find 'red oxide' as a primer paint. I am aware of red oxide paint as a primer but as a finish on a model? I guess maybe overcoat it with a matt or satin clear?

Also most of their paint is aerosol cans?

Colin Bishop31/12/2016 23:09:27
4548 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

Yes, red oxide is a standard automotive primer colour. It is a very good match for underwater antifouling paint. As stated in my earlier post above you can seal it although it is not strictly necessary.

Spray cans are best as you will get a better finish.

Colin

John Arnold 301/01/2017 02:45:46
141 forum posts
6 photos

Sorry Colin I did not see your reply as when I clicked on the link in the email it displayed only Bob's reply (yours was off the top of the screen).

Not sure if I will bother with the white line at 'water level' but if I did I would look in an automotive shop for those rolls of stick on 'pin stripe' and hope there is a white one of a suitable width.

Have you seen and threads based on the Billings Boats kits preferably the Bluenose II. This is my very first 'build' and although I have Googled a lot and also found stuff on Youtube I am having some minor 'issues' which hopefully I work out correctly. The instructions which came with the kit are quite detailed but don't explain some things very well and it seems the author expects the reader to be more advanced than I am eg shaping the planks to allow for the bow and after to be more narrow than midships BTW I now consider I know what to do there.

One thing which stands out at this point (just about to start planking) is the pseudo planking of the deck. The plans show the lines drawn but do NOT explain how to do them other than showing a pencil on the plans to denote that the lines are hand drawn using a pencil (I actually used an Artline 220 black pen with a tip of 0.2mm which worked really well and the ink didn't bleed - there's a TIP for everyone) . I ended up using a 'plank' as a gauge to get the lines parallel to each other as I had no idea if there was an easy way to draw bent lines as shown in the plans. In some ways I would have thought that the lines could have been printed on the veneer to make it easy. I know that the deck planking should be 'bent' and shaped at the aft but no one who looks at my model will know the difference.

Bob Wilson01/01/2017 07:30:29
1674 forum posts
181 photos

I feel sure that Red Oxide is a standard colour world-wide, and is ideal for underwater covering. A spray can gives a perfect finish, and I would never even consider glossing it over. Here is a hull sprayed with red oxide. I just cut the white line from a long piece of high quality paper, and stick it on. Another way is to stick a strip of paper masking tape to a long piece of scrap acrylic and spray it with white matt primer from automobile shop. Cut out the white strip with a scalpel, and you have your own piece of home-made self-adhesive strip. It is very sticky and permanent. As you say, very few people would notice if you got incorrect deck planking! Occasionally, you may get "did you know the deck planking is wrong!" Just say "yes," and leave it at that!wink without giving any excuse!

Bob

arabia out of case (large).jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 01/01/2017 07:31:57

John Arnold 301/01/2017 10:01:32
141 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Bob for the tips.

One thing though I wondered. And that is automotive (spray) paint is obviously designed to go on metal.

Do I assume that because you and Colin have used it that it sticks ok to wood? And YES red oxide is available as a primer (but usually for metal) here in Australia. Lastly what do you use as a primer on bare timber? I know that red oxide is a primer of sorts (a metal primer) but what do you use as a primer under say other colors which aren't primers?

Gee I like the model you included in your reply. Have you built many?

Edited By John Arnold 3 on 01/01/2017 10:56:43

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor