Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Tug Cullamix

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell21/08/2017 14:06:42
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Very nice detail work, Ray

Although, I can't make out a pivoting mast anywhere?

I've not seen a self centering four jaw chuck for quite a few years.......I prefer an independent four jaw chuck for the occasional odd shape

What's all this about a light blue roof on my model?

Bob

Ray Wood 221/08/2017 14:19:46
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Bob

The timber mast is fitted, square base also turned round in the 4 jaw, photo tomorrow, I thought you needed some colour on the roofs to break up all that white ? and red oxide anti fouling below the waterline ?

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 222/08/2017 08:37:20
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi All

Here is the mast above the counter weight, the brass rollers should be toothed pinions, but I couldn't find anything suitable in the scrap box so I'll cheat and file some grooves to create the effect. This mast is purely to mount the navigation lights, and to allow them to be lowered for going under bridges.

Slight diversion for a couple nights building a Romany caravan for my granddaughter as she fancy's painting one

Regards Raycullamix mast aug 17 001.jpg

Banjoman22/08/2017 08:45:37
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Hello Ray,

Your Cullamix is really coming along a treat, now, and the detail work is looking truly superb! Very crisp paintwork, too, and all in all lovely to behold ... 

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 22/08/2017 08:45:56

Bob Abell22/08/2017 08:46:32
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Ray

Very clever.........I can see how the counterbalance mechanism works now

Really ingenious........Not seen that before

Not seeing a caravan?

Bob

Ray Wood 222/08/2017 09:04:07
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Mattias & Bob

Thanks for your kind comments it's been 14 months since I started her ! but I do build 2-3 projects together, I'm enjoying the build and hoping for a launch early next year with luck

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 230/08/2017 08:46:59
1989 forum posts
709 photos

bh weekend aug 17 013.jpgHi All

Latest progress update 4nr Life Rings required, cut from 1/8" ply 1" diameter sanded to oval profile, sealed and painted white, line bound on with cotton and painted red ! Only another 3 to go bh weekend aug 17 015.jpg

Ray Wood 208/09/2017 16:24:41
1989 forum posts
709 photos

cullamix sept 17 002.jpgcullamix sept 17 001.jpgHi All

Latest progress update, Anchor davit fitted which is brass rod turned to a slight taper on the trusty lathe leaving a circular end cross drilled for a wire hoop to hang the blocks and tackle from, cheated with the fairleads which are devils to file from the solid, so visited our local boat shop The Dockyard Model Shop at Chatham and bought a pair for £2.50 money well spent. The rear sliding hatch's in place, approaching the point where the hull needs glass clothing on the outside and spraying, I'm on the AMBO stand tomorrow at the Southern Model Show at Headcorn come and say Hello

Regards Raycullamix sept 17 003.jpg

Ray Wood 215/09/2017 10:54:53
1989 forum posts
709 photos

wagon cullamix bridge sept 17 004.jpgwagon cullamix bridge sept 17 002.jpgHi All

Progress with the bridge area with compass binnacle, engine room telegraphs rather unusual with horizon indicators and handles on the side, and the bridge awning frame for a canvass roof if required, later in her life she had a closed in bridge with a solid roof, I may make that as an option it's nice to be able to see the details on view. The Epoxy resin and glass cloth has arrived from Graham at Bucks-Composites for the hull, this is cheaper than using West Epoxy and plenty of cloth left over for the next project

Regards Raywagon cullamix bridge sept 17 005.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 15/09/2017 11:14:25

Ray Wood 225/09/2017 11:26:43
1989 forum posts
709 photos

union cresent sept 17 010.jpgunion cresent sept 17 006.jpgHi All

As Cullamix's hull is only planked with 3/16" balsa I thought a tough layer of lightweight glass cloth and epoxy resin will supplement the internal glass cloth and polyester resin and make her ding proof. The cloth is manipulated to the hull shape and working from the keel down to the topsides brushing the first coat sparingly left overnight to cure the excess cloth trimmed off and the second coat achieves a fairly good surface ready to be lightly rubbed down and ready for priming. The hull now weighs 5 1/2 lbs . Trade mark photo's in wrong order

Regards Rayunion cresent sept 17 008.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor