Thames Tug Cullamix

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell30/04/2017 07:35:56
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

Hi Neil

At least it's nice and clean

The chuck key holes look a bit strange..........The one above the normal chuck hole?

Bob

Ray Wood 202/05/2017 09:47:46
1998 forum posts
713 photos

rhdr may 17 002.jpgHi Bob/Neil

Yes Neil is on the money, my pride & joy is the Myford Super 7 its around 20 years old but in mint condition, the newer versions are painted green. The 3 jaw chuck is the standard pattern the holes you refer too are screws attached the brhdr may 17 024.jpgody to the back plate. Dixon type quick change tool holder. Port holes/lights last night

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 209/05/2017 14:17:59
1998 forum posts
713 photos

Hi All

The chequer plate walkways on the sides of the engine room casingcull walkways 5517 001.jpg from 4D models A4 size sheet £3.00 plenty left over

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 230/05/2017 12:05:45
1998 forum posts
713 photos

Hi All

Back on Cullamix for a few days before we are off on our annual holiday in Spain, where I shall try and dream up some new projects The engine casing vents are going to be layers of ply etc, I would have liked them to open but life is too short ! also I have started fabricating the main tow hook fixing bracket in brass fixed with 8ba bolts & nuts.

Off topic, but if you need to catch a grandsons attention and get him doing some turning on the lathe, Spinners are the latest craze the kids are into, and you have a spare ballrace, turn some buttons to fit both sides of the race and mount into some ply with some weights on the outside and a totally original thing to spin is yours !! George seemed to get the idea fairly fast victoria rb may 17 009.jpgRegards Rayvictoria rb may 17 007.jpg

Ray Wood 201/06/2017 09:08:05
1998 forum posts
713 photos

Hi All

Fair progress with the main towing hook, as this is probably the must stressed part of the tug I've used 1/8" steel to take the strain with 3/32 steel sides and some soft iron rivets, 7BA bolt & nut. The actual hook is spring loaded to reduce shock loads, I have put some angled cuts to simulate the spring, how much will be seen once its sprayed satin black is doubtful ! the track for the hook is Gauge 1 nickel silver rail section, annealed and easily bent round a bit of scaffold tube. I may re-make the hook retained strap the loop round the bolt is not as good as it should be and soldered cull towing hook june17 002.jpg

Regards Ray

Bob Abell01/06/2017 09:25:57
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

That's very business like, Ray and very nicely made too

But, how about the strength of the hatch end where the nuts and bolts are, can it take the load?

What are you going to tow?

It would be useful to have something familiar alongside, like a packet of Woodbines, for a size comparison?

Keep up the good work, my mate

Bob

Ray Wood 201/06/2017 09:38:46
1998 forum posts
713 photos

Thanks Bob

I'm thinking of some M6 SS studding and threaded dummy vents to hold the superstructure onto the hull for towing,

I have plans for my Swim Head Barge and plan to make a pair at 40" long, I can't bare seeing tugs on their own charging round the lake.

I never aspired to Woodbines, I started on Senior Service

Any further progress on the Mist ??

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 219/06/2017 11:01:12
1998 forum posts
713 photos

hols june 2017 002.jpgHi All

After much thought about the tilting Funnel made in rolled and soldered brass, I decided to take the easy option and make it fixed from balsa & ply should look ok then painted. I have taken Bob's advice and included some items to lend scale to the job hols june 2017 074.jpg

Regards Ray

Bob Abell21/06/2017 13:51:04
8907 forum posts
2783 photos

I like the fold down funnel, Ray

Hope it will fold down?

Bob

Ray Wood 223/06/2017 13:07:52
1998 forum posts
713 photos

Hi Bob

Unfortunately not folding down intentionally unless we hit a low bridge !! but it is removable so it could be built in brass in the future.

Progress was going too well and managed to make a complete pigs ear of the engine room vents, tried parting off 3/8" copper tube, not a success at all, so bought some ready made rings as the lights from Hobby Store. the next stage was the 3nr protective bars over the lights for which I made a simple brass sheet jig, once the rings were fixed with super glue the jig was used to drill the holes, but due to poor setting out the bar holes were too close to the edge and looked rubbish, so I have started again and hope for better end result this time. I think having seen the quality of Mattias's work on this forum I need to try and get it right Regards Rayhms belfast visitors centre june 17 025.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor