Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Tug Cullamix

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 219/12/2016 11:10:51
1989 forum posts
709 photos

cull dec 16 006.jpgcull dec 16 003.jpgHi All

Cut some woven glass cloth to fit the spaces between the bulkheads, polyester resin applied in the shed because of the fumes, warmed it up with a convector heater to aid the curing, a really messy business wetting out the cloth, the excess runs into the bilges and adds strength to the base of the hull and motor mounting blocks. Thought I'd give the inside a couple of coats of red enamel before I start on the deck and bulwarks as it's Christmas (Still in the wrong order but wot the heck)

Regards Raycull dec 16 001.jpg

Ray Wood 221/12/2016 08:25:20
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi All

My last post before the big building session called the Christmas break, well with the bulkheads trimmed the hull access hatch sides are installed departed from the method on the plans to form an upstand to prevent water on the deck entering the hull, this also strengthens the opening and gives a line for the camber to the main fore deck and side decks. The next stage will be what I'd call in building terminology the Firring pieces to produce the deck camber. I have trial fitted the geared Decaperm for motive power. Lets see how far I get by New Year. Best regards for Christmas Ray W

cull 211216 001.jpg

Bob Abell21/12/2016 09:36:31
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Nice build Ray

Can`t understand why your pictures are out of sync though?

In case you are wondering.......I`m back in action on the Silver Mist again

Christmas greetings to you and yours

Bob

Ray Wood 203/01/2017 09:43:12
1989 forum posts
709 photos

christmas 16 040.jpgchristmas 16 039.jpgchristmas 16 026.jpgHi All

Good holiday break, deck on and the basic superstructure built insitu all good, bracing my self the hardest part which is the woodwork to form the bulwarks, did drift onto my other ongoing project MTB 71 which I'm getting ready for the 2017 season. Happy New Year My now trade mark pics in the wrong order !christmas 16 024.jpg

Regards Ray

ashley needham03/01/2017 16:26:24
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Ray. Like the MTB. It strikes me that you could always see the diagonal planking in these boats...are you leaving "just a hint of" or sanding for England?

Like the Red paint on `T other. What a difference it makes, a coat of paint hiding all the untidiness.

Ashley

Ray Wood 203/01/2017 16:42:20
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Ashley

The MTB will be blown over with some grey & black below the waterline leaving the planks on show, the double diagonal planking is in 1/64 miralite ply I did the outer layer the wrong direction Oops ! well you live and learn. I'm tempted to build the next one twice the size 1" to the foot at 71" I've really enjoyed this 30" version. The torpedo tubes and depth charges are 3/4" diameter aluminium tube salvaged from a folding deck chair.

Regards Ray

ashley needham03/01/2017 16:51:28
6592 forum posts
145 photos

NEVER throw away tubular furniture without checking for tube usefulness!!!

I would not have noticed the planking error I must say.

​Yes build a big `un and we can all give conflicting advice alternative views on what combination of brushless motor/battery to use!!

​Ashley

Ray Wood 223/01/2017 10:50:49
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi All

Back onto the bulwarks of Cullamix which will be a combination of the heights & raking angle taken from the drawing and cutting a tacking 1/16" ply rail and supports before the 1/32" ply sheeting. Once this is complete I have decided to use the lightweight glass cloth and West epoxy to finish of the hull. Followed by the 1/2 round rubbing strip form obechi strip.

Regards Ray230117 003.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 23/01/2017 10:52:30

Ray Wood 227/01/2017 09:32:38
1989 forum posts
709 photos

cullamix 270117 001.jpgHi All

Progress slow this week as it's been rather brass monkey's in the workshop AKA the garage. No reference on the plans for bulwark supports so I've used small angled supports of 1/16" ply to support the rail super glued in position and eyed through for alignment and tacking the top rail in place. The sheeting is 1/32" ply with the grain running vertical glued & pinned with Gorilla glue. Looking forward to doing the rail round the stern the most attractive part of the tug in my view

Regards Raycullamix 270117 002.jpg

Ray Wood 230/01/2017 10:39:39
1989 forum posts
709 photos

plovers 2 300117 009.jpgHi All

The basic bulwarks complete this weekend which is a big milestone for me, plain sailing with the build from now on, I'm trying to leave room for the steering quadrant under the rear timber grillage with cable steering from a servo under the bridge via the scale deck rollers I have just realised 1 month to the lake at Bluewater re-opening, so I should start preparing this seasons new boats for the water Where did January go ??

Regards Rayplovers 2 300117 010.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor