Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Introduction to model boats

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Marks 128/10/2016 15:56:32
255 forum posts
44 photos

I have been asked by a former work colleague it advise on a suitable model boat kit for his 12 year old grandson. To be built under supervision from Grandad. My idea would be one of the smaller models from the Vintage Model Boat Co. Does anyone have any better ideas?**LINK**

Kev.W28/10/2016 16:25:23
281 forum posts
36 photos

I would agree with your thoughts, the 'Fast Patrol Launch' would be my choice, it is of a reasonable size & will have enough speed to interest a 12 y.o. without needing anything too exotic in the power train.

Dodgy Geezer28/10/2016 18:02:29
818 forum posts
59 photos

If you want the grandson to be able to do much more of the work - and want the price to be lower, and the results quicker - you might like to think of starting him off the way we all started in the 1950s and 1960s - with a small balsa 'Junior' kit.

There aren't many (any?) available from the shops, but extensive plans and support can be got from the two sites below, which enable you to recreate these old kits for free:

**LINK**

**LINK**

If Grandfather is a modeller he can easily cut out the parts, and balsa is a sufficiently forgiving material for a novice to be able to work on their own rather than watching as an adult builds 'their' boat.

Here are some youtube videos:

**LINK**

**LINK**

Paul T28/10/2016 19:08:16
7188 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Landing Craft?

Easy to build and almost indestructible, they might look basic but its a quick way to get the youngster on the water and enjoying himself.

Paul

ashley needham28/10/2016 21:56:06
6920 forum posts
201 photos

AND PT has a very easy set of plans for a landing craft. It has to be the simplest most bullet proof thing you could make. As a bonus it carries the grandsons favourite cars/power rangers/minions for added interest.

​It can easily be made as a car ferry for less warlike purposes,

​Ashley

Trevor Drabble 101/11/2016 08:43:41
56 forum posts

May I suggest the Surf rider kit from Hobbies at Dereham . At around £16 it's a cheap intoduction , and easily built as radio controlled using today's smaller units .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor