Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

New Royal Yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley11/10/2016 12:15:07
897 forum posts
536 photos

Noticed this in the Daily Telegraph. Looks like a replacement Royal Yacht "Britannia" could be built.

**LINK**

Dave Milbourn11/10/2016 13:50:37
4002 forum posts
282 photos

Sitting in a house with a poorly valve in the CH system, waiting for the engineer to call, I'm a little reluctant to contemplate giving up my winter fuel payment to assist a lady whose seven* "houses" are all probably much warmer than mine.

DM

*According to Wiki.

Paul T11/10/2016 14:39:28
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Dont worry Dave as the project will be self funding.

As HM recieves payments from the state I presume that she will have to pay 'bedroom tax' on all of those empty rooms, these payments will go a long way to funding a new ship.

Paul smiley

Dodgy Geezer11/10/2016 22:29:00
818 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 11/10/2016 13:50:37:

Sitting in a house with a poorly valve in the CH system, waiting for the engineer to call, I'm a little reluctant to contemplate giving up my winter fuel payment to assist a lady whose seven* "houses" are all probably much warmer than mine.

DM

*According to Wiki.

Ah, now, DM, we have discussed this before! Surely you can drain the system down a bit and replace the valve yourself? I actually had to do that last month for the thermostatic valve on my cylinder. It's cheaper and it's quicker....

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 11/10/2016 22:29:20

Dave Milbourn11/10/2016 23:39:38
4002 forum posts
282 photos

DG

If you mean it should be possible to drain down the system etc then you're certainly right. Where you are dead wrong is in the use of the word "you". I don't do central heating systems.

DM

Kip Woods12/10/2016 12:02:47
265 forum posts
35 photos

If I lived nearer to you Dave, I'd come round and sort it for you, it's a doddle, done them on our heating, but alas, I'm too far away for the old pushbike to get me there. sad

Edited By Kip Woods on 12/10/2016 12:03:13

Tony Hadley12/10/2016 14:43:45
897 forum posts
536 photos

DG,

Noticed that you still have a cylinder. Over 20 years ago, we considered moving the cylinder and water tanks into the loft to give more space in the bathroom. The cylinder (& heating) was from a conventional cast iron boiler. Instead we opted for one of the first generation "combi" boilers mounted on the kitchen wall, which seemed to solve a lot of problems. Fourteen years later the boiler needed to be replaced with a second generation "combi" (condensing type). This latest boiler was installed in 2009 by a contractor whereas the first was DIY (which is no longer allowed). The new boiler is also serviced regular.

I was thinking the other night, has this been a cost effective upgrade, the original cast iron boiler, which supplied the cylinder and central heating would probably still be working, albeit in an inefficient manner regarding fuel usage, but I have been faced with two boiler changes, so any savings in gas must be set against every 12 to 15 years having to upgrade the boiler and pay servicing costs. It would appear when the decision is made to upgrade, there is no going back.

Nowadays I do the same as DM - 'get a man in' and just sign the cheque.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor