RMS TITANIC 1912

Anything related

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T16/09/2016 14:46:59
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

A few days ago I watched what I thought would be a mundane TV programme about a ship called The Mackay-Bennett how wrong I was as it turned out to be one of the most thought provoking and emotional things that I have ever seen on TV.

Paul

Moved from Silver Mist topic to Bob's new Titanic one.

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:11:40

Colin Bishop16/09/2016 18:39:47
4511 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

I didn't see the programme but my Wife and I did visit the Titanic cemetery in Halifax back in July. In recent years detective work and DNA sampling has enabled many of the previously unknown bodies to be identified. The graves are all in a curved alignment to match the shape of Titanic's bow.

A bit off topic though!

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:12:33

Paul T17/09/2016 10:36:41
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Yes it is a little off topic but Bob is a fan of cable laying ships of that era, coupled with the Titanic connection it makes a fascinating subject.

I have been reading up on the crew that did so much for that poor little boy, it is strangely humbling to read about such overriding compassion especially when coming from such rough tough sailors.

Paul

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:18:07

Bob Abell17/09/2016 10:58:14
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Paul to the rescue again...........Well done, my mate

Only this morning, I was looking at Stradivari violins on YouTube and one was played on the Titanic......As it went down!

Of course, we all want to know how it got saved from a watery grave?

Answers on a postcard please

Bob

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:13:11

Colin Bishop17/09/2016 12:51:00
4511 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

The violin was apparently strapped to Wallace Hartley's body Bob, see here:

**LINK**

A couple of pics I took in Halifax in July below.

Colin

titanic cemetery.jpg

titanic child.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:13:33

Dave Milbourn17/09/2016 12:51:41
3999 forum posts
282 photos

bobbable postcard.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:13:52

Bob Abell17/09/2016 13:12:57
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Thank you, Colin.......Very interesting, but also very sad

Thank you, Dave.......Very amusing

Bob

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:15:32

Tony Hadley17/09/2016 19:13:18
897 forum posts
536 photos

After watching the first programme in the series about the Cutty Sark, I cancelled the series record thinking "just another mediocre programme". Following Paul's post earlier in the thread, just had to watch the programme on iplayer and what a superb programme it was. Regretted cancelling the series.

Bob, (I guess you know) Wallace Hartley was born in nearby Colne, and the town has a memorial to him and the nearby garden also has a model of the Titanic. The town also has a pub named after him. Worth a visit, but the last time I went was last winter and the garden was in need of a little tlc, may not be case now as the gardeners may have tidied things up in the summer.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Noted you interest in cable laying ships, only recently noticed in the March 1964 edition of Model Maker magazine an item about a model of the cable layer Mercury. Built at Cammell Laird in 1962, perhaps too new for your research, but if you would like a copy of the item, I could scan and email it. Plans are still available MM782 in the shop.

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:14:09

Bob Abell18/09/2016 07:15:01
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Thank you, Tony

All very sad, but still very interesting

It's probably a good idea to create a dedicated Titanic thread, to give the subject more deserving respect?

Many thanks for the cable ship scan, but no thanks at the moment

Keep up your good archive work

Bob

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:15:51

Bob Abell18/09/2016 08:43:41
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

As hinted at earlier, we ought to have a special thread for Titanic based postings

The thread is open to all members

Post your model pictures, snippets, questions and relics etc

Bob

Note: I have moved the posts from the Silver Mist topic to this one.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 18/09/2016 11:16:52

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor