Forum sponsored by Dremel

Help with old Pond Yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom B06/09/2016 02:06:46
2 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Folks >>

New here and new to model yachts. I am sure I will ask a stack of dumb questions as I don't even know what questions to ask so searching it a but difficult.>>

Anyway - I have this old pond yacht I think it is a 36R and from the 1930"s (been in the family for years). 36" Long, 8.5" beam, 10" from bottom of keel to top of deck

I don't have a rig for it and would like to build / buy one so that I can put it on display rather that have it hidden in a cupboard.

Any help with id and how/ what to rig it with would be great.>>

Thanks>>

img_20160901_065557.jpg

img_20160901_065205.jpg

Paul T06/09/2016 11:06:34
7140 forum posts
1204 photos
2 articles

Hello Tom

Welcome to our quiet little backwater.

Firstly I should say that my knowledge of model sailing yachts is limited and that there are far better qualified members who might be better guides.

Having said that I have sailed a few and from my limited experience I would use a variation of the following rig

Image result for toy sailing yacht rigs

Banjoman06/09/2016 11:39:18
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Although I haven't actually seen the work in question, and thus have no personal opinion as to its usefulness (nor any experience of vintage yacht restoration for that matter), the booklet B09 Restoring older timber yachts, writtem by Chris Hayward and sold by Nylet might perhaps be a useful investment and source of basic information?!

The Nylet website is at **LINK** while the details about the booklet can be found in their catalog/price list, at **LINK**.

Mattias

Tony Hadley06/09/2016 14:30:39
897 forum posts
536 photos

Looking further into the Nylet site (which Mattias) mentions above, they make sails in cotton for vintage yachts and also offer a restoration service. The material most model yacht sails from the past were made from was Union Silk, this hasn't been available for many years. An excellent item on painting and finishing is in the Members Contributions section of this site, written by Paul -

**LINK**

The rules for the 36R class state the model should fit in a box 37" x 9" wide x 11" deep -

**LINK**

The Vintage Model Yacht Group may provide further help -

**LINK**

Your model is fitted with a Braine Quadrant which was an early type of steering mechanism

boat modelling book.jpeg

Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted.

Tom B07/09/2016 01:14:08
2 forum posts
3 photos

Folks,

Thanks for the great information. I now have a somewhere to start.

That posting on painting and finishing is great.

I don't think this is going to be fast process but I will post updates.

One of the things I am looking for is a supplier of the fittings ie boom gooseneck, sail attachments, boom ends etc. I have not been able to find a source of these things that are period so I think I will need to make them. Hs anyone have any close up photos of period fittings.

I will post nf the vintage model yacht club and see what they come up with.

Cheers.

Tony Hadley07/09/2016 08:51:39
897 forum posts
536 photos

A limited range of fittings for vintage yachts are available from Sails etc.

**LINK**

Model Boats magazine sell a plan with details of making the fittings. I think this (MM1105) is the plan but not 100% sure, unfortunately I lent someone my copy some time ago and never returned. The vintage model yacht group have the plan listed MM1105 as fittings for a 36R yacht. It might be worth checking with someone at myhobbystore before parting with "hard earned cash".

**LINK**

Kip Woods07/09/2016 10:51:43
265 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Tom B on 07/09/2016 01:14:08:

"One of the things I am looking for is a supplier of the fittings ie boom gooseneck"

Modelling Timbers do a very nice gooseneck in brass, but depends on diameter of your mast as to whether it will fit. **LINK**

Edited By Kip Woods on 07/09/2016 10:52:40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor