Forum sponsored by Dremel

Motor Mount Alignment Tool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
harry smith 106/05/2016 05:33:11
1007 forum posts
1280 photos

motor mount tool 3.jpgmotor mount tool  2.jpgHi Fellow Modellers

motor mount tool 1.jpgAfter the last motor install in a boat I sat down over a few pints!!!
I finally worked out a little tool for the perfect alignment of motor to the drive line.
Using a piece of aluminium (33 x 20mm) turned down a 4mm area for the motor holes which you can add a number to your requirements.
The common sizes 16, 19 and 28mm for 28 and 35mm brushless motor.
On a lathe drill a 4mm centre hole for the shaft and added a grub screw thread.
The size of these tools can vary to your requirements (3/16" shaft, larger size area for larger motors and different engine hole spacing for your motors.
These will work on rear mounted engines like the D3648/4 1100kv 910watt 3-5S.

Also I would like to thank Roger from The Marine Modellers Club Hobart Tasmania Australia for the beautiful lathe work again.

Harry

Andy C06/05/2016 18:11:13
470 forum posts
116 photos

That's a very well machined tool. Now all I need is a lathe.

Andy

Dodgy Geezer08/05/2016 10:30:20
818 forum posts
59 photos

A great idea - and one I will adopt!

Since the shafts on brushless motors are easy to take out, I've been using prop-shafts of the same diameter, and passing a prop- shaft directly through the motor to align the mount and tube (adding a joint afterwards, of course!). But this offers a much more flexible solution...

harry smith 109/05/2016 06:48:41
1007 forum posts
1280 photos

Hi Dodgy

I also used a short bit of 4mm rod in a 4mm flex shaft setup it was a bit floppie, but, with a bit of heat shrink.

I managed to get the mount better setup and with flex shaft easily going into the adapter.

I also put a short bit of IC fuel tube on the flex shaft so if the adapter comes loss I do not drop the flex drive and prop into the depths!!!!

Harry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor