Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vic Smeed's Silver Mist

Enlarged version by Bob Abell

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell27/03/2016 21:03:40
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

After several months of wanton idleness, I've finally decided to build the very attractive Vic Smeed model.......Silver Mist

Scaling up, 2 to 1 gives a model length of 42 inches

Here we go boys........At a leisurely pace

Bob

Tony Hadley27/03/2016 21:52:41
897 forum posts
536 photos

What a lovely design to choose Bob,

The original magazine item was over four months, back in 1958. The September, October, November and December Model Maker magazines with a colour illustration on the front cover of the September edition.

A photograph of Vic's original from the 1966 edition of Vic's book, Power Model Boats.

silver mist.jpg

Bob Abell28/03/2016 07:10:57
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Thank you, Tony, Ian, Colin and others, for your enthusiastic support

It will be nice to get back in my building harness again

The picture is the front cover of the 1958 September issue of the Model Maker magazine, showing Silver Mist herself

1958 was a dramatic year for the writer

Mum had just passed away, Dad had gone into long term hospital, and brother Geoff started his National Service

So I was left on my own........In a dark old haunted house!

Cheer up chaps!.......All is not lost, about this time, I met my future lovely wife, Joyce, at the local Dancing School

So that sets the scene for the birth of the Silver Mist model!

Very nice and moving start, Bob, says Kevin with his hanky out

Bob

image.jpeg

Bob Abell28/03/2016 08:01:03
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Quickly moving on, we have a nice view of the actual plan, showing the original model of 21 inches in length

Note the original price!...........3/6d............That's 17 and a half new pence to the young readers........Today, it's about £12,50

Such is life, eh?

I intend to enlarge the plan for a model about 42" in length and powered by a complex belt driven motor drive, which should be interesting

The model looks a very nice bulbous shape, which gives it, it's old world charm?

A very nice plan indeed.........Vic Smeed certainly put his heart and soul into his designs

Bob

image.jpeg

Bob Abell28/03/2016 08:11:25
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

We also have the " Words and music" for the build, which is nice to have and makes interesting reading

I think the original model was made of Balsa Wood and cellulose cement.........Which had a lovely heady smell!

Bob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bob Abell28/03/2016 08:46:53
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Colin.......I've had a brilliant idea!............And it's a chance magazine to really shine!

The Silver Mist plan is quite small........

How about My Hobby Store offering an enlargement service?

Any chance?

Bob wth fingers crossed

Colin Bishop28/03/2016 09:57:22
4511 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

While it would be possible Bob it simply wouldn't be worth their while. Also I believe that the plans are actually produced and despatched by an outside firm. Much cheaper and simpler for you to just get the plan 'as it comes' and take it down to your local copy shop in your own time where you can oversee the process and ensure that you get exactly what you want.

Of course it would be nice if you could just order the computer file and take that along instead but that encourages pirating so the company isn't keen on the idea although I rather doubt if the plans service really makes very much money. Individual plans like Silver Mist might only sell one or two a year.

There could be further complications too. Obviously you know what you are doing but other people might decide to downsize a plan and build a model that doesn't work properly and then complain to MHS. At least you know that in most cases a successful model has been constructed from the plan as it stands. Once you start changing the dimensions then all sorts of potential issues arise which need a bit of experience to assess and deal with.

Like a lot of things, just because something is possible doesn't mean that it is commercially attractive.

Looking at your photo of the article it is interesting to see that it is headed 'Boating for Beginners'. I don't think it would quite come into that category these days when many people are not ken to tackle hull construction, or even work in wood.

You will make a lovely model of Silver Mist and we all look forward to following the build.

Colin

Bob Abell28/03/2016 09:58:56
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Ian Gardner

I notice you possess the October edition of the magazine

Would you be so kind as to post the next instalment of the build please?

As long as this does not cause a problem with MyHobbyShop of course?

Many thanks

Bob

Tony Hadley28/03/2016 10:17:19
897 forum posts
536 photos

Bob,

For having the plans enlarged, Hobs Reprographic, at the top end of Deansgate, Manchester opposite the Great Northern.

For the other parts of the magazine item, try Larry (the Long Build) who could have them.

Edited By Tony Hadley on 28/03/2016 10:31:38

Bob Abell28/03/2016 10:56:25
8904 forum posts
2783 photos

Thank you, Colin

I didn't really think that MHS would be interested in the enlargement idea

I'll stick with the old system and will probably do my own enlargements.......The hard way

Thanks also to my pal from Bury Metro.......Tony Hadley

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor