Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

SPARROW

wht radio

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Martin 318/03/2016 18:04:41
13 forum posts

I need help in buying a suitable radio and servos for the Sparrow 750 I am building RICHARD

Dodgy Geezer18/03/2016 18:16:06
818 forum posts
59 photos

Without more data about what your problem is, it will be difficult to help you....

Richard Martin 318/03/2016 18:23:26
13 forum posts

it is a smallish boat 750mm long with a jib and a mainsail, do you need the area surface of the sails, I cannot get the right information from shops online and there are none round here

Paul T18/03/2016 18:24:49
7188 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hello Richard

There is quite a lot of information available on the internet, for example **LINK** and **LINK**

Personally I would use a basic 2 channel 27meg radio system with a heavy duty servo.

Good luck

Paul

Richard Martin 318/03/2016 18:25:49
13 forum posts

what are the cheapest radio setups for a rc yacht which wil need a strong servo fro the sails.

Dodgy Geezer18/03/2016 19:30:05
818 forum posts
59 photos
The cheapest radios will be Chinese 2.4ghz ones from somewhere like hobby king. The 2 channel ones start at about ?15. However,they will be rather cheaply made, and famously have little quality control...

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 18/03/2016 19:31:31

Richard Martin 318/03/2016 19:38:14
13 forum posts

I also hear the number 2.4 ghz whatever that is and the Chinees are making them can you suggest a shop for one?

I have treid to sing up to modl boat mayem thanks alot

Dodgy Geezer18/03/2016 20:24:54
818 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Richard Martin 3 on 18/03/2016 19:38:14:

I also hear the number 2.4 ghz whatever that is and the Chinees are making them can you suggest a shop for one?

I have treid to sing up to modl boat mayem thanks alot

Radios work on a number of different frequencies, allocated for different purposes. 27Mhz used to be the only frequency allowed for models - then 35Mhz was allocated for aircraft only in the UK - and surface vehicles (which includes boats) were allocated 40Mhz.

A new frequency, 2.4Ghz, was also allocated a little time ago, which can be used by cars, boats or aircraft. 2.4Ghz is the same frequency that mass-market computer wi-fi uses, so the components are very cheap, and it has other advantages for a beginner - so most people would recommend a 2.4Ghz set (especially if you are looking for a low price!). The main advantage with 2.4Ghz is that you don't have to worry about interference with other users of the pond. With the other frequencies, you have to pick a particular 'spot' to transmit on and display a flag showing that you are using that spot - then no one else can use it. 2.4Ghz sets do the equivalent of picking a spot for you so you don't need to worry about it...

Reputable model shops will stock a range of 2.4Ghz radios by well-known makers, such as Futaba or Spektrum. These will be very well built and highly reliable, and the cheapest will be over £50. They will often stock cheaper brands where the prices may be £30-£40. Buying from a reputable shop usually means that you will get help choosing a radio, and aftercare service if anything goes wrong. Here are the radios from a well-known reputable shop: **LINK** You don't tell us where you are, so we can't give you directions to a shop in your neighbourhood.

There are other outlets which sell very cheap items - one well-known one is Hobby King - **LINK**

Here you can find radios at less than £20, and sail servos less than £6 **LINK**

But these will be cheaply made, and the aftercare support is likely to be poor. But a number of people use these happily - I do so myself...

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 18/03/2016 20:25:26

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 18/03/2016 20:31:44

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 18/03/2016 20:36:33

Richard Martin 318/03/2016 20:43:00
13 forum posts

thank you so much for ll your help I will digest it slowly I keep trying to speak to someone in Cornwall but can get no one who knows about adios

David Marks 118/03/2016 22:12:34
255 forum posts
44 photos

Speak to Jerome at SHG Model Supplies 01785 840308. He is very knowledgeable and helpful on all aspects of model boats. They will most probably be closed now until Monday 10AM.....pretty sure they do not operate on a Saturday! You can view their catalogue on-line, but you have to order over the phone. A very good company to deal with.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor