Brian's models are to be auctioned on 17th March 2016

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop17/02/2016 11:00:25
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Photo 8

Forum members and readers of Model Boats will be familiar with the magnificent models built by Brian King and many will also have some of the books he wrote on ship modelling topics and techniques.

Brian has long been a supporter and contributor to the magazine and his models have won many awards including regular appearances at the Model Engineer Exhibition. He is perhaps best known for his series of Victorian battleships. Examples of his work can be seen in a feature article here:

**LINK**

and:

**LINK**

At the age of 90, Brian is finally hanging up his modelling boots and needs to dispose of his model collection. It appears that museums are not interested in acquiring these superb examples of modelmaking as models are currently out of fashion in favour of 'interactive exhibits' and so Brian's collection is being offered for sale by auction at Ewbanks of Guildford on 17th March and you can view the catalogue here:

**LINK**

At the realistically pitched guide prices, any one of these models would be a unique acquisition for the serious collector.

Colin

Simon Porter17/02/2016 11:37:00
20 forum posts

Just had a look at the auction site.

They are superb indeed!

Paul T17/02/2016 13:53:13
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

I hope that they have reserves on

Bob Wilson18/02/2016 18:49:37
1738 forum posts
201 photos

Will it be possible to view the sale online as it is taking place, like at the London auction houses of Charles Miller, Christie's etc?

The models look really superb!

It is a great pity that they have described them as a collection of "model boats" rather than ships!angry

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 18/02/2016 18:49:50

Edited By Bob Wilson on 18/02/2016 18:55:22

Colin Bishop18/02/2016 20:07:28
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

No idea Bob although I think online bidding is possible so maybe.

I have seen most of these models over the years at the Model Engineer Exhibition and judged some of them!

Colin

Bob Wilson16/03/2016 19:06:11
1738 forum posts
201 photos

I see the sale is tomorrow. I have printed out the relevant pages so I can check off the results when they arrive.

I feel a big drawback of the sale is the fact that they (Ewbanks) are not prepared to arrange shipping of the models to the buyers, but require them to be collected. I have never heard of that before with a major auctioneer!

Bob

Colin Bishop17/03/2016 17:16:15
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Bob,

Have you got any information on how the sale went?

Colin

Bob Wilson17/03/2016 17:24:57
1738 forum posts
201 photos

Colin,

Not yet, the sale results will be available tomorrow, I believe. I will let you know how it went.

Bob

Bob Wilson17/03/2016 20:33:06
1738 forum posts
201 photos

Results just come in:

Results of Brian King sale.

Models sold

Cutter Speedy: £750

Field Gun: £200

USS Arizona £220

HMS Campanula: £380

HMS Tabard: £600

Algerine class minesweeper: £900

HMS Camperdown: £650

HMS Colossus £550

HMS Belfast: £4,200

HMS Glorious: £2,800

HMS Anson: £2,200

HMS Queen Elizabeth: £2,600

HMS Nile: £2,400

Cuirasse de Bouver: £750

HMS Victoria: £3,000

HMS Empress of India: £4,200

------------------------------------------

Not sold:

USS Hornet

Rother Class lifeboat

Arun Class lifeboat

Overall, very successful. The above prices are Hammer Prices. They buyers would have to pay more. 15% commission will be deducted from the sale, but still very successful!

Bob

Colin Bishop18/03/2016 12:15:48
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Bob,

Yes, just picked this up myself on the Ewbank site. I hope Brian is pleased. You can see that the buyers identified the best examples and bid accordingly.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor