The Forth road bridge

Engineering problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell04/12/2015 19:25:17
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Paul

Any comments regarding the crack in a major load bearing girder and how it can be repaired?

It looks more than a 3 week repair job to me!

It`s strange, how it appears to be a tie?

Bob

_87041837_tower.jpg

_87041835_fracture.jpg

Colin Bishop04/12/2015 19:48:29
4529 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

Bit ironic (sic) isn't it. The relatively modern suspension bridge is suffering structural failure yet the much older railway bridge which has had big heavy trains thundering across it since 1890 just soldiers on.

Colin

Dodgy Geezer04/12/2015 19:53:12
818 forum posts
59 photos

Oh, a couple of dabs of superglue and Bob's your uncle. I'd do the job myself, only I'm working on the containment vessel for Hinkley C...

Paul T04/12/2015 20:15:54
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

I would do exactly what the engineers are doing, having located this problem I would look for further damaged parts throughout the entire structure then investigate the cause.

The bridge has frequently exceeded its maximum load capacity, don't forget that it was designed in the late 50s and opened in 1964 and since then its carrying capacity has been far exceeded.

There is also a steady degradation of the main cables that have lost 10% of their strength due to corrosion and proposals were already in place to limit the traffic to reduce weight.

Far from its original design lifespan of 120 years it is now expected that, without extensive repairs and rebuilding the bridge would close in 2020.

Basically the bridge is knackered.

Bob Abell04/12/2015 20:26:33
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Paul.....Why do you say, the bridge was overloaded?

Since the bridge was designed 50 years ago, it won't be on computer either

Unless early problems forced a design study?

Every time we cross the Menai Bridge, I can't help wondering about those wrought iron chains, disappearing into the concrete......Mmmmmmm?

Bob

Paul T04/12/2015 20:29:45
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

When they designed the bridge they never envisaged the increase in traffic numbers that we now have.

Peter Fitness04/12/2015 21:42:16
508 forum posts
215 photos

Paul, you say the bridge's carrying capacity has been far exceeded, do you mean the load on the bridge at any given time, or the volume of traffic now using the bridge? I am no engineer, but I would have thought that, when a bridge was being designed, the theoretical load would be calculated assuming that the bridge deck would be covered in vehicles, plus a percentage, perhaps as much as 100% for safety - or am I being naive, or simply ignorant?smiley (Probably both) To me, 50 years is not a long time, especially in terms of such structures as the Forth road bridge. I've been married for over 55 years, and the time has flown bylaugh

Peter.

Colin Bishop04/12/2015 21:58:36
4529 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

I would suspect that it isn't a matter so much of the static load on the bridge deck but more to do with higher than expected traffic volumes causing greater than anticipated vibration and flexing of the bridge components which has led to early metal fatigue.

The bridge is also in a very exposed location with frequent high winds although that should have been designed for.

Colin

shipwright04/12/2015 22:24:00
250 forum posts
54 photos

I wonder whether they have a distributed sensor system (strain gauges, accelerometers) on the key parts of the structure of the Forth (and for that matter similar modern suspension bridges) ? As I'm sure you are all well aware Rolls Royce use real time monitoring on all of their engines on aircraft. Knowing the "normal" signature set, any deviation outside specified limits will cause alarms to be set at the monitoring centre and the engine will be investigated when the aircraft has landed.

Ian

Bob Abell05/12/2015 09:41:06
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Ian

There is monitoring equipment installed......They have just detected a large number of wires breaking, in the last 3 months!.........Scary or what?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor