Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Vane Sailing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Dickinson 123/07/2018 19:37:47
238 forum posts
131 photos

You right Gareth. I am a member of the Northwales model engineering group who have there track a further 200 yards along the beach.

I have seen lots of old postcards showing model yachts being sailed on the pool and I am glad that still happens.

There won't be many scenic locations like that one

Brian

Malcolm Frary24/07/2018 09:51:33
893 forum posts
Posted by Tony Hadley on 23/07/2018 15:37:45:

Gareth,

Some years ago, when the MM398 vane gear was made, I was considering building the MM631 Moving Carriage vane. The advice was to avoid the moving carriage unit unless it was for a larger boat, such as an 'A' Class. The Moving Carriage unit needs a large boat due to it's weight and whether this would apply to one made with modern materials, I don't know. Although I have never seen one of these, I understand it is a superb piece of engineering.

My vane unit, earlier in this thread was silver soldered (access to workshop facilities then), whether this is overkill for normal lake sailing again, I just don't know. There could be a strength issue, but at the time I had the occasional trip to Fleetwood or Fairhaven which were sea water and the advice was to use silver solder. Had a discussion with Malcolm Frary who had a model with a soft soldered rudder which he has sailed in sea water lakes for many years without any problems.

In the thread, Vic Smeeds Model Boat Designs, #23 shows two small designs for half sized Marblehead models, Sea Urchin and Waterbaby. These plans show a small vane gear which would be suitable for smaller yachts.

A disclaimer - the soft soldered rudder was on a Lindberg trawler, nothing like the forces involved on a sailboat. And there was a layer of paint between the solder and salt water. Putting a lot of force through a small contact area does need the basic strength of silver solder.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor