By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

There's another Fairey at the bottom of my garden....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T19/09/2015 17:52:39
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

'The customer is always right'....?

Peter Fitness19/09/2015 23:12:45
508 forum posts
215 photos

Except when he's obviously wrongcheeky

Peter.

Dave Milbourn20/09/2015 18:04:13
4011 forum posts
282 photos

It was a bright, clear and calm morning at Papplewick today so I got there early and threw caution to the wind and H23 into the water. She sails as well as she looks, although I didn't take my camera this time.
The next job is to firm up the parts shapes and build a second "proving" model. That's always a pleasure because I know it will all come together well at the end.

Oh - of course the customer is always right, and you should look him straight in the eye, smile and tell him so as you take his money.

Dave M

harry smith 124/09/2015 10:02:18
1038 forum posts
1215 photos

Hi Dave

Love to see the plan in the model boats mag in the future.

A bit of a change from the Swordsman and others would be great.

Harry

Dave Milbourn24/09/2015 11:34:47
4011 forum posts
282 photos

I'm working on it, Harry.

Dave M

CookieOld13/10/2015 10:10:22
297 forum posts
70 photos

(but that wheel was a real swine!).

Dave , I need to make one 16mm Dia what was your method .I have looked all over but can,t find any for sale.

wink Dave

CookieOld13/10/2015 10:10:26
297 forum posts
70 photos

(but that wheel was a real swine!).

Dave , I need to make one 16mm Dia what was your method .I have looked all over but can,t find any for sale.

wink Dave

Dave Milbourn13/10/2015 12:14:35
4011 forum posts
282 photos

wheel 02a.jpgDave

This probably won't be much use to you because of the very small size wheel you need, but it might help someone else and maybe give you an idea for another different method.

The one on Huntress is 25mm OD. I first bent some ali tubing around a former and joined the two ends with a wire insert and epoxy. I cut and soldered together six pieces of brass wire as the spokes. I then made a 2-part silicon-rubber mould, using the wheel rim and spokes as patterns. I cut some new spokes, lay them into one half of the mould and closed it up with the other half. Casting resin was introduced with a syringe via the small channels I'd made and the completed rim and spokes removed when set. The hub was made from styrene circles epoxied each side of the spokes. Like I said, a perfect swine and I wish I'd made it a little larger now. Maybe the next one?

wheel 01a.jpg

CookieOld13/10/2015 19:27:08
297 forum posts
70 photos

Thanks Dave , Thats a great help , You have confirmed there no easy way around this so i will use your method , I could not help clocking your dials , they look great i could not find smaller than 7mm , what size are yours and were can i get them .

Speak to you soon if i am still ALIVE.

Thanks Davewink

Dave Milbourn13/10/2015 23:07:58
4011 forum posts
282 photos

The dials were copied, pasted and scaled from a manufacturer's catalogue using Photoshop and CorelDraw, then printed onto inkjet decal paper and fixed to the dashboard. The bezels are slices of plastic tubing - walls are too thick, but it'll do until I find something better. I can't remember the sizes but the wheel is 25mm across, so you can get a pretty good idea from that.

DM

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor