By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

There's another Fairey at the bottom of my garden....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T18/09/2015 18:19:46
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hi Dave

Going back to your original comments .........is this going to be a kit?

Paul

Dave Milbourn18/09/2015 20:45:51
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Not unless someone crosses my palm with plenty of silver, Doc. 'Himself' has said that he will accommodate a plan and article in MB at some time, so that's good enough for me. Meanwhile I have to sail it; de-bug anything wrong with the design; build another "proving" model and then prepare the plans etc. All pretty familiar territory.

Kits are a genuine PITA - trust me!

Dave M

harry smith 119/09/2015 08:28:34
1038 forum posts
1215 photos

Hi Dave

Would a Swordsman plan work as a basic hull with a modified stern?

Looks similar 30 degree hull design?

Dave Milbourn19/09/2015 09:12:43
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Harry

Superficially the two are similar but there are a number of significant differences once you get down to detail. The Swordsman has quite a rounded deck at the bow while Huntress has a pointed one. Swordsman also tapers in beam from midships towards the stern, while Huntress remains the same width. In fact Huntress is little more than a shortened Huntsman 28 (not the 31) so you could base a Huntress on that plan. **LINK**

Dave

Paul T19/09/2015 11:03:07
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hi Dave

I appreciate your comments about needing huge chunks of cash to launch a kit but for the less intellectual amongst us could you explain the PITA acronym.

Paul

Colin Bishop19/09/2015 11:43:34
4549 forum posts
6070 photos
399 articles

He means pain in the posterior region Paul....

And he's right!

Colin

Dave Milbourn19/09/2015 11:44:01
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Paul

Pain In The Backside (as you well know).

It's not so much the cash aspect of kitting that I'm wary of. In fact to have say a hundred ply kits cut by CNC milling or laser is relatively cheap. That said, I would never set out to produce and manufacture a kit on my own. The problem is that when you present a set of parts to a customer - as opposed to a set of plans - then he somehow assumes that you have an ongoing responsibility to ensure that those parts end up looking like the picture on the box top and flying/floating/whatever just as well as anything he's ever likely to see elsewhere. I don't know why this is but it does happen - and surprisingly often. The other point is that a customer's lack of skills is frequently misrepresented as a fault with the kit, and you can get an awful lot of bad press from just one clumsy loudmouth who can't be bothered to RTFM.

Present someone with a set of plans, however, and you have a customer who has probably already weighed up his skills and expectations against the likelihood of him finishing up with a satisfactory end product. Naturally there's always the bloke who wants to build a 1/4 scale Spitfire or fully-rigged 17th century Man of War as his first model, but he's more likely to be put off by the complexity of a set of drawings than he is by a huge box with a beautifully-made glossy model on the front.

I've worked in just about every area of the model trade - design, manufacture, wholesale, retail and most recently writing articles - and I know which order of preference I'd put them in!

Dave M

Paul T19/09/2015 15:23:27
7161 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Dave

I don't know why this is but it does happen - and surprisingly often. The other point is that a customer's lack of skills is frequently misrepresented as a fault with the kit, and you can get an awful lot of bad press from just one clumsy loudmouth who can't be bothered to RTFM.

Roughly what percentage of customers qualify for entry into this dark pit of stupidity?

Paul

Dave Milbourn19/09/2015 16:15:15
4011 forum posts
282 photos

Fortunately time has dulled my memory, but incidents of numpties loudly complaining about something which was demonstrably down to them were frequent - maybe two or three a week when I was in a retail model shop and in kit manufacturing.

I'm on record as having quantified the percentage of "faulty" electronics sent back for repair or replacement - and which were either not faulty or had been obviously connected without reference to the instructions - as at least 80%. I still get them.

The next favourite down the list was kit parts which "didn't fit" - generally because it wasn't the part which was intended for that purpose, or the builder had jumped the gun and fitted something else prematurely which was now in the way.

Lawrie White (Model Slipway) tells the story of a customer who telephoned to ask if it would be 'all right' to paint his Maggie M a different colour to the one on the box lid.

Ron Dean was made to regret writing "cement the ballast weight into the bottom of the hull" in an instruction manual when a customer took him exactly at his word and used some of Blue Circle's finest. He was apparently puzzled as to why the model refused to float.

My own particular favourite was the bloke who came into Pegasus toy and model shop in Nottingham on the day after Boxing Day and slammed a 4.5v dry battery down on the counter. He said that he'd brought it back to complain that it had gone flat. It turned out that his kids had spent most of Christmas Day and Boxing Day playing a game which flashed about a dozen bulbs when a correct answer was given. Nevertheless "what was I going to do about it?" I think I just stared dumbstruck at him until he left................

One tries one's very best to make allowances but there are still those folk who would best serve humanity by not breeding.

DM

The Long Build19/09/2015 17:27:38
689 forum posts
270 photos

This is priceless..

Ron Dean was made to regret writing "cement the ballast weight into the bottom of the hull" in an instruction manual when a customer took him exactly at his word and used some of Blue Circle's finest. He was apparently puzzled as

to why the model refused to float. smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor