Forum sponsored by Dremel

Winter is just around the corner

Garage storage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell17/09/2015 14:54:24
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

I would like to store my bulky heavy models in the garage this winter....For obvious reasons

I`ve never done this before and would like members comments on the snags and pitfalls I may encounter

The models will be covered with sheets for starters

Having a wood lined room is a good thing

I have a couple of CCTV cameras installed, just in case

Bob

Paul T17/09/2015 15:19:16
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Bob

Is the garage damp?

Bob Abell17/09/2015 15:36:10
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Only when it rains!

I thought all garages were damp?

Bob

Paul T17/09/2015 16:01:07
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Not all garages are damp......otherwise the Rolls would rust.

A damp atmosphere will damage your superb models so wrap them in strong plastic (strong bin liners) and keep them off the floor.

Do you suffer from mice or other rodents that might nibble at your boats?

Paul

Bob Abell17/09/2015 16:07:18
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

I would have thought that plastic bags would sweat?

We do have the odd mouse........What part of the boat, do they like?

I think the Fablon covered cabin can go back upstairs

Bob

ashley needham17/09/2015 16:12:40
6608 forum posts
153 photos

Boxes Bob. Its the only way to go. As basic as you like, just use dare I say it MDF or Hardboard (probably need a thicker ply base for the big ones) and stiffish crumb-foam to support inside. You could put casters on them, you can stack them up, and with a coat of best boat-blue polyurethane paint they would be moderately waterproof.

As below, but the fronts are open (soon to be completely boxed in)

Ashley

dscf1137.jpg

shipwright17/09/2015 16:16:13
250 forum posts
54 photos

Bob,

I store my boats in a brick built detached garage and haven't encountered problems other than dust. They are stored on wall mounted shelves except for the scale destroyer which is on a moveable platform - I can still get my car into the garage but it is a bit of a squeeze lengthwise because I have a set of floor mounted cupboards (ex kitchen after kitchen refit) at the far end and the destroyer is broadsides across the front of those cupboards.

Ian

Bob Abell17/09/2015 16:46:56
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Boxes are a nice idea, Ashley, especially with a bag of those damp soaking crystals in too

Ian.....Nice to know your models can live happily in the garage......My garage is pre cast concrete, but the wood lined roof is a nice feature

Bob

peter ward 617/09/2015 18:57:41
7 forum posts

i agree with ashley some of my models due to size or weight live in the garage all year round

as with his in custom made hardwood / ply boxes and to date have not experienced any problems

i too sometimes put a silaca gel moisture absorder in to counter and anticipated dampness associated

problems in the heart of winter

David Marks 117/09/2015 21:49:52
243 forum posts
44 photos

Dampness - I had the pleasure of working with a gentleman who was a very keen and skilled model engineer. With them any dampness results in rust!!!!. The method of prevention used was a wooden box/case fitted with a very low wattage electric bulb. The bulb produced sufficient heat to repel dampness and prevent rust forming.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor