TEV Wahine 1/35 Build

Setting this up to share this build and also to get help when I need it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard H Dunn02/09/2015 08:09:10
153 forum posts
303 photos

Hi Everybody

I recently started a build of an RC model on a rather large scale of 1/35.
This is because ...well I have the room and also because I am only 2 minutes from the model boat lake in Waterford Brisbane where I live.
I would also like to put in a disclaimer here that i have my wife's full support and I have just built a new house with a large workshop and adjoining machinery shop that is sound rated, I build guitars to so not being greedy...

I have to admit I had my ship model making interest re awakened by the Shemarah 2 build of Gareth Jones's (nice work mate, very nice work)
This ship was one of the most beautiful vessels built on the Clyde in the 60's.

I have many links to this ship in my past and have a massive collection of plans of this ship 200 original plans and hundreds of photos...I guess I have no excuse.....

Anyway many months ago I started a cad model of this ship to the plans of the ship, I used to do this for a job,that is cad modelling of ships.

The exercise was not too difficult as the hull is so familiar to me.From this I started to plan out the structure of the hull,how is the best way to build this hull economically.

I have to admit I am old school and wanted to build this plank on frame as much as possible.

I have attached some images of the cad model.it's rough and seems incomplete but that is only because it needs to describe the main surfaces.

After that I started cutting parts,I have to date framed the lower half of the hull up to what would be the vehicle deck for about 65% of the length .

The topsides will be ply sheet as they are developable surfaces.

Some pics coming soon

Edited By Richard Dunn 3 on 02/09/2015 08:16:42

Colin Bishop02/09/2015 08:54:48
4178 forum posts
5989 photos
399 articles

Welcome to the Forum Richard, very much looking forward to following your build.

Colin

Richard H Dunn02/09/2015 09:17:57
153 forum posts
303 photos

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Pz7dIoM.jpg[/img]

Richard H Dunn02/09/2015 09:19:04
153 forum posts
303 photos

[img]http://i.imgur.com/zw3Wkgy.jpg[/img]

Edited By Richard Dunn 3 on 02/09/2015 09:20:42

Dave Milbourn02/09/2015 09:30:09
3648 forum posts
229 photos

Richard

You'll need to create an album to post your pictures. Click on the Camera icon marked 'Albums' in the pale grey menu bar right at the top of this page, and then follow the instructions.

Dave M

Richard H Dunn02/09/2015 09:37:08
153 forum posts
303 photos

wahine post header.jpg

So here she is in her prime just weeks before she was wrecked

plans.jpg

This is the list of ship yard plans I have of her, some of these folders have 4-5 plans in them .

No shortage of information

model for parts.jpg

model for parts1.jpg

frames.jpg

Here are some of the frames ready to be printed onto adhesive paper for transfer to ply.

bevels.jpg

A big plus is the ability to pre bevel every part, out with the spoke-shave.....as can be seen here in yellow.

Now for the model as it is now, its all just dry fitted so far so not all joints are tight and fitted properly.

bulkheads.jpg

p9026319.jpg

p9026320.jpg

p9026321.jpg

I have to date framed the lower half of the hull up to what would be the vehicle deck for about 65% of the length .

The topsides will be ply sheet as they are developable surfaces.

I hope some of you find this interesting and I look forward to input from other builders on things I could do in other ways I may not have thought of.

More pics soon

Bye for now

Edited By Richard Dunn 3 on 02/09/2015 09:40:34

Richard H Dunn02/09/2015 09:37:48
153 forum posts
303 photos

Thanks Dave yeah figured that out......

Bob Abell02/09/2015 10:06:05
8274 forum posts
2530 photos

Welcome to the Forum, Richard

We are all very impressed with your ......Workshop........Model build.......CAD drawings.........Confidence.......etc

Looking forward to the build

What will be the drive system?

Bob

Richard H Dunn02/09/2015 10:27:35
153 forum posts
303 photos

Ah yes
Now that is something I need help with, I have only built one other working model, mostly display models.

The working model I have done before was a lot smaller.
I was going to use radiator fan motors but I am open to suggestion.
I have allowed for cooling and have a clear 100 mm diameter space around shaft in motor compartment.

The shafting will be custom made and is to scale, as is the prop.

I will put up some specs such as speed, weight etc soon.

One of the reasons I am building the lower half first is to make installation of the running gear easier.

Bob Abell02/09/2015 10:38:38
8274 forum posts
2530 photos

Hello again, Richard

As a matter of interest........What are the dimensions of the scale motor shaft and prop?

Never seen this done before

What is the model length and width etc

If you welcome suggestions, we need to know this

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Pendle Boilers
PremierJuly 2019
Shrek
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor