Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Nature

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell31/08/2015 22:30:06
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

We've been feeding the Foxes for a few years now, but for the last four months or so, they failed to appear

About two weeks ago, a Hedgehog turned up?

We've not had a Hedgehog in the garden for about 40 years!

It called every night for it's tinned Hotdogs

Tonight, we had the predicted Gunfight at the OK Corral!

Guess what?.....They just ignored each other!

That was a nice surprise!

Bob

image.jpg

Andy C31/08/2015 22:50:29
472 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Bob

And there is me trying desperately to get rid of the three foxes from my garden. They s@&£ everywhere and are really noisy. Not good for the kids playing on the grass.

Andy

Bob Abell31/08/2015 22:59:07
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Sorry Andy....We don't have any problems?

We love the wildlife......They are precious, but slowly fading away

Bob

Paul T04/09/2015 19:06:00
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Typical Cheshire wildlife

Image result for badger in garden

But imagine waking up to this pair on the lawn

Image result for hippo in garden

Bob Abell04/09/2015 20:11:42
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Nice to see you are getting your humour back

Bob

ChrisB04/09/2015 20:25:17
59 forum posts
5 photos

Good for the roses Paul? 🌹🌹🌹

Peter Fitness05/09/2015 06:52:28
508 forum posts
215 photos

Bob, here's some Aussie wild life. The kangaroos, a mother and her joey, were just outside our daughter's back fence in Blackwater, central Queensland. The koalas were in a tree only 20 metres from our own house.

Peter.

roos at blackwater.jpg

Koala and baby at home.jpg

Bob Abell05/09/2015 07:36:20
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Thank you, Peter

A nice response

Are the Roos and Koala's seen as harmless wildlife....Or are they a pest at times?

The Foxes in the UK are a real pest at times, but the Hedgehogs are rare peaceful creatures and are welcome in the garden

Bob

Peter Fitness07/09/2015 06:41:56
508 forum posts
215 photos

Bob, roos can be a real pest, especially to graziers and farmers growing crops. Since white settlement in Australia roos have flourished due to land clearance, pasture improvement, improved water supply etc., and in places they can appear in almost plague proportions. Controlled shooting has taken place in some areas to prevent total destruction of the land, much to the horror of the animal liberationists, but it is necessary, and legal. There is no danger of them becoming a threatened species however, as they can be seen all over rural Australia in large numbers.

Koalas, on the other hand, are an inoffensive, peaceful animal much loved by all Australians, and tourists. Unfortunately, they are suffering the effects of habitat destruction as well as an insidious disease called chlamydia, which doesn't seem to affect animals which are not under any stress. However, animals who are suffering stress caused by the encroachment of humans on their habitat are susceptible.

Foxes, which were introduced to Australia by early settlers, are a real pest here too, as they are deadly on domestic chickens. I know, because we have lost numerous chickens to them over the years.

Peter.

Bob Abell07/09/2015 07:40:01
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Very interesting, Peter

We have a TV series here sometimes, and a chap in Oz has devoted his life to saving orphaned Roos!

He'd better not find out, that they exist in epidemic numbers!

We have a creature here in the UK called the Badger. ....Although they are plentiful, I've never seen one!

In some parts of England, they are being culled.,.......Much to the displeasure of the general public

They are being blamed for spreading a Bovine infection

What a tipsy turvy world, hey?

Hedgehogs are quite rare these days

Eventually, the wildlife will only exist in controlled areas?

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor