My Portsmouth Trip

Ships in Port Today

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy C14/06/2015 21:10:44
472 forum posts
116 photos

Hi All

As stated in a previous post, somewhere, we had a long weekend down in Portsmouth. Below are a few of the sips in port. More in my Album, if you are interested. Not as good as Dave Wooley's, no action shots, I am afraid. But interesting enough for me and my boy.

There was three Frigates in D33, D35 & D36

hms dauntless (d33) 2.jpg

hms dragon (d35) 1.jpg

hms defender (d36) 3.jpg

A visitor form down under in the shape of HMAS Anzac

hmas anzac (ffh 150) 2.jpg

Mine Sweeper HMS Hurworth (M39)

hms hurworth (m39) 1 .jpg

We had a drive, float, by of MoD "Sir Humphrey Gale". Twice and the fast ferry "Normandie Express" came into port too.

mod sir humphrey gale 2.jpg

hsc normandie express 2.jpg

sd bountiful.jpg

A couple of other cargo ships were in port and quite cool to see, they are in the album. A good day on the water.

Andy

Colin Bishop14/06/2015 21:32:45
4514 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Glad you enjoyed your trip Andy, there is always lots to see in Portsmouth. I visit quite frequently as it is only just over an hour's drive away.

Colin

David Marks 114/06/2015 22:09:41
243 forum posts
44 photos

What happened regarding the closure of Portsmouth Dockyard? I know that it is contractor operated, but not sure if it is BAE Systems or Babcocks

Peter Fitness14/06/2015 23:44:15
508 forum posts
215 photos

It's good to see an Aussie ship showing our flag in Portsmouth, in the shape of HMAS Anzac. She left Australia on 15th March and was at Gallipoli supporting the 100th Anniversary of the ANZAC landing on 25th April 1915. Her CO is Commander Belinda Wood.

Peter.

Andy C15/06/2015 18:35:47
472 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Peter

She is a good looking ship. Love the little Roo on the funnel. Sets it off nicely.

Andy

Colin Bishop15/06/2015 18:40:16
4514 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Shipbuilding at Portsmouth is now finished I think but maintenance continues, probably via BAE but you should be able to confirm this with a bit of googling.

Colin

Peter Fitness15/06/2015 23:19:41
508 forum posts
215 photos

All RAN major fleet units have the red kangaroo, either on the exhausts or superstructure. Apparently the roo was originally added to differentiate between Australian and British vessels and, as it happens, the first such emblem was applied to the first HMAS Anzac, a British Battle Class design. She was commissioned in 1951 and decommissioned in October 1974. The current HMAS Anzac was commissioned in 1996.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor