By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Help with wiring?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Atkinson09/03/2008 17:48:00
28 forum posts
can anyone tell if you need a seperate power supply to the receiver when you use a esc with bec  as i have wired my boat and dont get any power to it i have wired it up as the plan for a single motor from westbourn models info plan any help would be appreciated thanks david
Telstar10/03/2008 15:44:00
323 forum posts
32 photos

David    The short answer is when fitted with an Electronic Speed Control  with Battery Eliminator Circuit.    You should not need a receiver battery.

However if your MAIN battery is less than 5v  most BEC can not work properly

Try looking at this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783582

it gives a simplified diagram of how things should be

cheers Tom

David Atkinson10/03/2008 16:56:00
28 forum posts
THANKS TOM
Manxman10/03/2008 23:19:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

I know this is stating the obvious - but is the switch on the ESC in the ON position ! - easy to overlook.  Small switch, 3 connections, 2 wires - switch position should be over the 2 wires

Ken

David Atkinson11/03/2008 10:08:00
28 forum posts

hi ken there is no switch there are two  wires for motor two for battery and three for reciever

david

David Atkinson11/03/2008 10:26:00
28 forum posts

hi again is there anyway to test esc to see if it is okay

dave

Telstar11/03/2008 11:14:00
323 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Dave     Again the short answer is yes, BUT .  For someone like myself a retired Electrical Engineer its no problem, I still have some electrical test equipment.   For others perhaps not so easy.

In your case, I am concerned that there is no switch on the ESC (you don't say what make it is) I wonder if the ESC has a BEC fitted. Try your radio system with a Rx battery and servo only (no ESC) if that works connect the ESC, motor etc. and the Rx battery, see if that works. If it doesn't work then I think you could have a duff ESC.  

Cheers Tom

Manxman11/03/2008 18:17:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Dave,

Something does not seem right here - Lets do the obvious No.2 ...

You are not plugging the ESC into the battery connection of the receiver by mistake are you ?

Ken

Paul T11/03/2008 20:44:00
7183 forum posts
1214 photos
2 articles

Hi Dave

If you try all the above excellent advice with no luck then it does sound like a duff controller,

Was it new when you bought it? (I bought a "new" one off ebay but it was blown when I tried it out)

Is there any chance that you connected the battery wires the wrong way around?

Paul

Adrian Jones21/03/2008 18:25:00
12 forum posts
What make of ESC is it? Mtroniks, Electronize or something else?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor