Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Latest Project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson27/03/2015 13:56:32
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Having tired of actually building model ships a few months ago, I began a writing project to put it all in book form. The projected book will be about 140 pages, A4. To date, I have completed 105 pages, 178 images, colour photographs, plans etc. with the current total of 30,513 words. Most afternoons are spent writing, leaving the mornings for normal life. It is making a very pleasant change. I am not dependent on the whims of a publisher, because I will be publishing it myself and paying a printer to print it exactly as I want it to be. This method of publication is frowned on by publishers and referred to as "vanity publishing." It works for me though, as my last three books have done very well and the St. Helena book is on its 7th print run now. With only 35 pages to go, the end is now in sight!

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 27/03/2015 13:57:47

Colin Bishop27/03/2015 17:48:54
4529 forum posts
6069 photos
398 articles

Sign me up Bob!

Colin

Bob Wilson27/03/2015 18:55:59
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Thanks Colin,

I did a few more pages this afternoon, so I am not expecting it to take too long. Neither am I really expecting any great success, but I do feel that it will break even at the worst. I am covering both sail and steam/motor with the different rigs of sail, plus tramps, cargo ships, passenger liners, tankers, cargo liners, ferries and the odd trawler etc. I have already raised the funding for the book by building and selling the barquentine Mary Isabel.

Bob

Bob Wilson01/04/2015 11:05:56
1673 forum posts
301 photos

I am now in the final stages of writing this book. I have currently completed 117 pages and so far, it has 195 illustrations, mainly colour photographs, with a number of ship plans.

The word count to date is 34,260 words.

The demand for this type of book (miniature scratchbuilding of merchant ships), would not appear to be very great, as the majority of ship modellers prefer large and expensive kits.

By necessity, the first print run will probably be about 30 copies, but reprinting, if the demand requires it, is a simple process taking only 14 working days.

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 01/04/2015 11:06:37

Mark Jarvis 201/04/2015 11:28:23
217 forum posts

HI Bob

Sign me up for a copy

Mark

Bob Wilson04/04/2015 19:20:19
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Still beavering away.smiley

**LINK**

Now reached 129 pages 38,810 words and 214 images.

Bob

Bob Wilson10/04/2015 07:23:23
1673 forum posts
301 photos

The actual writing of the book is now complete. 158 pages, including the index, 46,408 words and 285 images. It is now down to reading, correcting, and cover design. This should not take more than a week. After that, about two weeks to publication. The response has been underwhelming to say the least, with ten showing interest. It will go ahead though, as it is something that I really wanted to do, but will probably be the last full-length book that I do on the subject of miniature shipmodelling. The first print run will be limited to 30 copies, that will probably go eventually, and maybe break even on the costs. It has been a long, hard slog!

Bob

Andy C10/04/2015 08:07:49
472 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Bob, I would also be interested in a copy. Would be nice to see a book from the current crop of boat builders. The ones I have seen, seem to be more from the early days of the hobby.

Cheers, and happy writing. Andy

Bob Wilson10/04/2015 09:02:45
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Thanks Andy. Although it is a new book, it is more in keeping with the old style of model shipbuilding that has now gone out of fashion. If you click on my Forum Photos here, you will see what sort of ship it is all about building. There is a complete chapter, plus plans for building the motorship Tuscan Star and the four-masted barque Pass of Brander, plus a number of other chapters on both construction, and other aspects of the hobby such as making it self-financing, understanding plans, and also a lot of historical notes to show that merchant ships were equally (if not more) interesting than warships.

Bob

Bob Wilson20/04/2015 15:43:47
1673 forum posts
301 photos

I e-mailed the manuscript to the printers this morning and they acknowledged its safe arrival. Proof should be out in 3 to 4 days, and publication 14 working days after that. Final statistics: 158 pages 285 images. 46,424.words. Only 36 have been ordered. 6 will be taken by the British Legal Deposit Library, leaving 29 available. (We will keep one!). 15 people have shown interest on the Internet, and 5 at the local ship model club (North West Model Shipwrights). More of a "Labour of Love" thing than anything, but I do hope to be able to break even, but am not anticipating any great rush for them!

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor