The Big Stick

USS Theodore Roosevelt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop26/03/2015 19:59:24
4756 forum posts
6078 photos
403 articles

Some photos taken today from the Isle of Wight ferry of the US Carrier Theodore Roosevelt and some other vessels.

This ship is huge, you could build an enormous amount of affordable housing on the flight deck which is presently cluttered up by probably more aircraft than the RAF possesses!

See my album: **LINK**

The 'Big Stick' nickname was previously applied to the Battleship USS Iowa which visited Portsmouth in the 1980s when I went aboard her with then Model Boats Editor John Cundell.

ColinRoosevelt 2

Roosevelt 3

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 26/03/2015 20:01:15

Bob Abell26/03/2015 22:42:35
8956 forum posts
2824 photos

I'm glad it's on our side, Colin!

Magnificent......The Big Stick has a true meaning in this case

Bob

David Wooley27/03/2015 10:30:02
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

SUPER pictures Colin I would have loved to have been there . I think it's hard to judge the enormous size of the carrier with out being on the spot. Thanks for posting such great pictures.

Dave Wooley

Colin Bishop27/03/2015 12:24:36
4756 forum posts
6078 photos
403 articles

Glad you liked the photos Dave, we were still quite a way from her so the image stabiliser on my 18-270 zoom came in very handy, especially as the ferry was vibrating like mad as well so I had to take the shots between vibrations!

It's not the first time I've seen a Nimitz class parked in Stokes Bay though.

It was a bit of a contrast with poor old Illustrious lying stripped and derelict in the back of Portsmouth Dockyard which we saw from the road. We didn't have time to visit the dockyard this time as we spent the day on the Isle of Wight soaking up the sunshine! I did get a glimpse of what was presumably the USS Winston Churchill moored opposite HMS Victory.

The Roosevelt was due to sail at 5:30 this morning which I think was at high tide.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor