Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Going brushless?

Going brushless?

JOHN PARKER with some practical advice

Alan Hazel09/01/2015 20:37:55
3 forum posts
3 photos

can any one suggest which brushless outer runner and speed controller would work well in a Precedent perkasa mtb (49inch large wooden) .

Bob Abell10/01/2015 08:40:14
8331 forum posts
2553 photos

Hello Alan

This would be a good starting point......

**LINK**

For a lively performance, I would fit two sets

I`ll dig out my installation and post it shortly

Bob

Bob Abell10/01/2015 09:01:37
8331 forum posts
2553 photos

Hello Alan

If Brushless motors are a bit of a mystery, then I would only fit a single drive

Here are my twin drive models for interest

Any questions, just ask

Bob

ellie close up.jpg

brushless motors for ellie.jpg

electron deck.jpg

banking over.jpg

swinging round.jpg

on the bench.jpg

planing.jpg

harry smith 118/03/2015 04:05:39
930 forum posts
1198 photos

Hi All

Brushless are very powerful, I put a Trackstar 17.0T 2400kv 550watts on 3s(11.1volts) Tamiya Falcon buggy as a replacement for the hot brush motor.

It wheel spin for 60 feet on take-off!!

I have found boats require a bit more grunt, but, getting the balance and speed for each boat is a test.

The more experience the better or use forums to help.

The more specs. on the boat the better the answers,also, you speed requirement and run time.

Jeremy16/06/2015 15:03:03
181 forum posts
255 photos

Hi

Very helpful article and discussion thread. However, I would still appreciate expert advice on a motor/speed controller/prop combination for my twin proped Amati Riva Acquarama model, still in it's early stages of contruction.

I used a Turnigy D3536-6 1250kv brushless outrunner with a 100amp HobbyKing reversible car speed controller on my 34" Vosper fire tender (maybe a bit of overkill with the ESC but I had started with a 45 amp unit and this was prone to cutting out - overheat protection?). With a 40mm twin bladed Graupner prop, this boat goes well.

I am temped to go for a similar set up for the Riva which is about the same length but maybe quite a bit heavier. It would look much like the kit in Bob's Slo-mo-2. I want the boat to plane well but not to leap out of the water. I have some concern over cooling as the engine room space will be more confined than in the Vosper - maybe a bit more like Slo-mo-2. The is no opportunity to introduce air ducts into the enclosed space.

I am aware that outrunners have a lower kv, eliminating the need for a gearbox. On the other hand, water cooling would be more difficult and the car ESC can not be water cooled.

I think I will have to use Lipo batteries as there would be no room for the 12v 10 cell 5000mah brick which I have in the Vosper. Finally, I would opt for M4 drive shafts.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Jeremy

Mark Jarvis 219/06/2015 22:45:33
217 forum posts

Hi Jeremy

Have looked at brushless myself, look on ebay etc for a watercooled motor mount, tihs may help, also there are watercolled mounting plates for the ESC, also helping keep things under control!!!!

Have you thought about inrunners with smaller props running faster???

Bob's Slo-Mo is quick when he is brave enough to open the power up. Proble is our lake is quite small for very fast boats, dodging ducks is a major problem as well.

Hope this helps

Mark

harry smith 121/06/2015 08:43:34
930 forum posts
1198 photos

I remember clipping one years ago with a 24" tunnel hull (OS40FSR motor).

He was not a happy little duck!!

The next time I came around at half throttle the whole flock was gone!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Pendle Boilers
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Cadma new
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor