Forum sponsored by Dremel

4 or 5 motors

new boat idea

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Queequeg Quint26/11/2014 19:04:33
90 forum posts
84 photos

I'm fixing to build a new boat. A big one with 4 or 5 motors and props. Has anyone ever done something like that, and do you have any advice?

Bob Abell26/11/2014 19:40:13
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Queeq

I am building a boat with four motors

Take a look at our thread called......."Vintage Gentleman`s Cruiser"

It`s just down the page from this thread

Tell me about your idea, please

Bob

Queequeg Quint26/11/2014 20:30:43
90 forum posts
84 photos

Hi Bob,

I'm thinking of maybe a tug or a big fishing boat. I'll go with 4 motors for the sake of balance

But I need advice on these things:

1. 4 rudders behind each prop, or 2 rudders in between each set of 2 props?

2. How should the hull bottom be setup? I have 3 lobster boats and they all have center keels, with the propshaft running through the keel. But with 4 prop shafts, should the hull be identical to the lobster boats, and just route the propshafts on either side of the keel?

Some pics of twin-motor tugboats seem to show two keels, with propshafts running through them. So... I'm not sure of the best design. If someone has a pic of multiple-motor boats, that would be helpful.

3. As for the motor-setup... I'm thinking of the MFA 800 at 12v.... or maybe a gear reduced 540-size motor. If I use 4 big motors.... that means lots of power consumption to worry about. 540-size would give me plenty of space to work worth, and reduce the current. But I do want some huge props on this boat....

One of my lobster boats has a 65mm 5-blade prop with the MFA 850 belt drive reduction setup. And I kinda want to spin some props around that size... although... I'm not sure.

OK.... any advice you have would be helpful.

Bob Abell26/11/2014 21:02:34
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Queeq

I think you may not have found my proposed motor drives.....As the thread is quite large

Here are my motor drives in their early stages....

Just keep popping in

Bob

abell.jpg

motors.jpg

lady jane motor.jpg

Queequeg Quint26/11/2014 22:31:34
90 forum posts
84 photos

I saw the thread, but did not see your motor setups.

Wow!! That is amazing.

Bob Abell27/11/2014 08:01:37
8906 forum posts
2783 photos

Hello Queek

Each pair of MFA 850 motors will drive a single LH 60mm or 70mm dia prop and each prop will have a rudder

We have a single keel

Bob

Paul T27/11/2014 14:50:52
7147 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Are you looking for speed or brute power?

Queequeg Quint27/11/2014 15:38:44
90 forum posts
84 photos

I'm looking for brute power. I'm a fan of MFA Como motors.

Haven't designed the hull yet, but that might depend on the motor setup. If I go with the belt driven 800 or 850, I reckon I'll need lots of space.

Also, I want 4 motors turning 4 props.

Paul T27/11/2014 15:56:31
7147 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

For brute power read this thread **LINK** wink it gets more interesting as the project develops and ends up with 4 huge motors and 4 heavy duty pumps.

Edited By Paul T on 27/11/2014 15:58:45

Queequeg Quint27/11/2014 16:28:13
90 forum posts
84 photos

Wow Paul!! The Mighty Thor is truly powerful. My heaviest, and most powerful boat is the Ambassador. It's just about 3 feet long. MFA 850 with belt drive reduction turning a 65mm 5-blade prop. It was a veritable miracle how I mounted the motor!

My big boat will have to compete with the Ambassador.

Right now, I'm thinking of 4 MFA 800s, direct-driving 4 55mm props. I use the 800/55mm setup for my lobster boat Illusion and it's perfect.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor