Forum sponsored by Dremel

Seen on my afternoon walk

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Wooley10/10/2014 15:19:33
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Taking my usual afternoon walk along the beach I couldn't help noticing the unusual ship moored just off shore and as they say I had my trusty camera handy . The vessel is the Atalanti laying cables for the new off shore wind farm in Liverpool bay /North Wales coast .

img_0483.jpgDave Wooley

Paul T10/10/2014 15:56:22
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Dave

You do have an exciting stretch of coastline whenever I get the chance to walk along a beach all I get to see is the sea, even when I was building an office block behind the Sea Terminal on the Isle of Man all I got to see were the manx ferries.

Paul

David Wooley10/10/2014 16:51:32
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Hi Paul yes the Wirral coast line and the Mersey is a busy place, and you really have to go camera in hand even on a casual walk or you'll miss some ship or other. I live only minutes from the shore so it's reasonably handy and a fresh westerly does you the power of good .Mind you working in view of the Manx Ferries would be ship heaven to some.

Dave Wooley

Paul T10/10/2014 17:49:38
7148 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Hi Dave

You might think that working so close to the sea terminal would be great but it tends to loose its fascination when the wind and rain are coming in sideways and you are being blown off the scaffold.

douglas.jpg

Douglas on a typical summers day

Of course there were fun times.

isle of man fun.jpg

Happy days crook

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 10/10/2014 18:11:25

David Wooley10/10/2014 21:21:13
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Hi Paul yes the IOM was a fun place to be in the 1950s and as a youngster , crossing from Liverpool to Douglas it was seen as an adventure on a par to crossing the Atlantic, in a great liner and on a rough passage it could be quite unpleasant especially when half of Liverpool seemed to be on the IOM boat and the other half very much clinging to the rails hoping to die until they reached the delights of Douglas and all was well again. As you say happy dayswink

Dave Wooley

David Wooley10/10/2014 21:25:07
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Here's another shot from my afternoon beach walk .

img_0806.jpg

mike farrell10/10/2014 21:58:35
378 forum posts
6 photos

Nice action picture Dave .As the ships sail up the North Sea they are so far out we just see a profilesadMichael

ashley needham11/10/2014 08:46:03
6608 forum posts
153 photos

I do envy someone who can walk along the beach and see all this action.

If I walk along the Thames here I might see a few nice cabin cruisers if I am lucky.Generally I cycle to the station and see a few skips and idly wonder if they would float.

Ashley

David Wooley11/10/2014 10:37:07
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Hi Mike yes there is a lot of sea borne activity in the Irish sea , just looking at AIS and you see the volume of ship movements entering and leaving the Mersey . I love going out into the North sea especially the ship activity into Hull

Ashley I can vouch not all ships these days are pleasing to the eye I look out to sea and there in front of me is a skip opps I mean ship so when your thoughts idly wonder regarding skips they aren't that far from reality .

Dave Wooley

David Wooley11/10/2014 15:18:07
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Some what quiet in both weather and traffic but there was this large dredger working the buoy channel into the Mersey . They are preparing the channel for the larger container vessels expected when the new part of the container port at Seaforth becomes operational towards the end of 015 .

img_0006.jpg

Dave Wooley

Edited By David Wooley on 11/10/2014 15:24:08

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor