By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Marks 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Marks 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machine Tools
12/09/2020 11:56:27

Dave - Regarding the "play" that you have found. Please note that all devices that rely upon a screw and nut system to provide movement will have a degree of play otherwise movement would be impossible i.e. like a fully tighten nut and bolt. The free-black experienced when changing direction just needs to be taken into account.

Thread: Dolphin Yard Sailing Barge Museum
28/08/2020 19:57:08

Ray - Well done, that was quick work. From the discussion that I had yesterday with the Chairman of the museum, there is also a proposal to have a boating pond facility for the younger generation to get some "hands on" rather than just viewing items in a showcase. I am not sure but it may allow the formation of another model boat club or at least generate some enthusiasm from the younger generation to build and sail a model boat.

Thread: Machine Tools
28/08/2020 19:50:52

My background is in the mechanical engineering workshop field. Consequently (apart from model boats) I involve myself in mechanical items and spent a considerable time supporting my son who scratch built as Lotus 7 lookalike. So machinery wise I have a pedestal drill (Axminster) combined lathe/milling machine (Chester) and a mini milling machine (Arc Eurotrade). Regarding accuracy, reliability etc, I am very pleased with all of them especially for the price paid. There was an earlier comment about Arc Eurotrade which I fully support. A very good supplier to deal with and the way the mini mill was presented was absolutely superb. If you have a Lidl supermarket near to you have a look at their Parkside range of larger tools. A friend of mine purchased one of their bench drills which I tried out and I found it very good value. Their Powerfix range of smaller hand tools are also superb value …£10 for a 6 inch - 150 mm digital caliper……very good indeed.

Thread: Dolphin Yard Sailing Barge Museum
27/08/2020 16:54:41

I am the chairman of my local model boat club based in Orpington, Kent. The club has been approached by the Chairman of Dolphin Yard Sailing Barge Museum located at Sittingbourne, Kent. The museum has been donated a number of model sailing barges to use as exhibits but these require a degree of refurbishment. If anyone residing in that area is interested in volunteering then please send me a p.m. and I will provide contact details.

Thread: Adhesive
04/08/2020 07:12:07

Colin - Yes you are correct about Shop4glue now being based in Bulgaria however their website which was dormant for a long time is now up and running and you can now purchase products for shipment to the UK. Never purchased from them by this method, only from their stand at the Warwick show.

03/08/2020 22:28:01

I normally scratch build - wooden hull and Plasticard superstructure. I use an Aliphatic type glue for the wood and solvent weld the Plasticard. I find the glues available from Shop4Glue to be very good. They sell Aliphatic and their brand name for the solvent is Polyweld. The latter is the best solvent glue that I have ever used.

Thread: Alignment tools
03/08/2020 16:49:42

Neil - If you do not get any joy from Dave Milbourn's suggestion try your local model boat club or model engineering club/society. I have made bits (including alignment tools) for club members and just get them to put a donation in the Rescue Boat which is my clubs collection box, with donations going to off-set the cost of pond hire and insurance.

Thread: Engine mounting
16/07/2020 13:08:20

The red plastic coupling (trade name Huco) should be set up so that both halves are on a common axis. To do this I replace the plastic piece with a dummy body (made from aluminium bar) of the same length and bore size so that it accepts the two brass inserts. Once alignment is achieved the dummy body is replaced by the red plastic section.

Thread: One ESC, or two
04/07/2020 16:01:00

Dave - Sorry to be a pain in the whatsit especially on Super Saturday. I am having no joy at all regarding setting up the Action P94 Dual ESC/Mixer. I am trying to set up Mode 3 using a Planet 7 Tx and corresponding Rx. Mode switch is set correctly at 1 OFF and 2 ON. Connection to Steering Servo is on H1, with the lead marked T connected to THR on the Rx. I have tried the lead marked S on AIL, ELV and RUD in turn all without success. By moving the R/H stick side to side there is small intermittent movement of the twin rudders. I cannot achieve any movement of the props. The nearest that I achieve is a mild glow on the LEDs fitted to the P95 Indicator Boards. Any clues please? My only thought is that the Planet 7 may not be compatible with the P94. Thank you in advance - Regards David Marks

01/07/2020 20:27:36

Many thanks - Dave

01/07/2020 12:11:57

Dave - I am trying to incorporate a Micro Diesel Sound Simulator (P63) with the P94 previously mentioned in the earlier posts. Am I correct in saying that I connect the ESC terminal on the P63 to the terminal marked H2 on the P94 and therefore require a lead with a male connection on each end? This item being available from Component Shop.

Many Thanks - David Marks

20/05/2020 06:40:20

Dave - Many thanks for that. I carefully preserved the paste on the removed units so will add that on reassembly.

19/05/2020 19:34:53

Dave - I have made a a pair of "gull wings" from extruded aluminium as advised. On dismantling the unit, there were no Heat Transfer Pads i.a.w the Assy Drg but there was a small quantity of white paste at each interface point which I assume is now used in lieu of the HTPs. Is there a household equivalent to this paste or is it a question of scrounging some from Kyje at CS. Many thanks.

Thread: Help please! Inherited some boats!
19/05/2020 13:41:23

Darren - Make contact with your local model boat club. I am a committee member of Dolphin, based in Orpington, Kent and get about four or five calls per year regarding `loft finds` etc. If the models are worth anything, the money is usually donated to either club funds or a nominated charity e.g. RNLI.

Thread: One ESC, or two
30/04/2020 15:10:03

Yes, thanks for that I will give it a try. I think the total void depth is 32 mm and I always have a good stock of extruded ali angle as I often use it as an assembly aid or for such things as making my own motor mounts.

30/04/2020 13:58:34

Dave - Many thanks for you prompt response. I had purposely made the void below the deck between the two hulls a bit deeper to allow for the depth of the enclosure used for the majority of the Action units but unfortunately the P94 has the two heat sinks. As I cannot use an alternative location it will be neat hole in the deck to allow the heat sink to protrude and then a suitable cover such as a dummy crate. That is why I enjoy scratch building....problem solving.

All the best - Keep safe

30/04/2020 08:14:45

I am currently scratch building a catamaran workboat in 1:16 scale, based on the drawings for a James Pottinger design called Searcher. The vessel has twin 540/1 motors, 35mm props and twin rudders. I will be using two 6V batteries connected in parallel. I will control the two rudders via `Y’ lead. Please could someone advise the best way to control the two motors i.e. one ESC or two. I normally now use Action products. Many thanks.

Thread: HMS Prince of Wales to visit Liverpool
19/02/2020 19:34:22

You blokes are bit out of date. Since Liverpool was made a City of Culture in (I think) 2008, when you return to your car and find the wheels have been nicked, you find that it is sitting on a pile of books as opposed to bricks. This means that you have something to read whilst awaiting the AA, RAC etc to arrive with a replacement set.

Thread: S.E. London & North West Kent
17/12/2019 08:44:04

Dolphin Model Boat Club is based in Orpington, Kent. Our 2020 programme commences in January with the first of our Winter Workshops where members can display their latest part built creations, also discuss build problems and techniques etc. Then from April to October there will be twelve pond meetings, mainly on a Sunday morning, but including two Saturday afternoon/evening events which allow members to display models which are fitted with lights. Two of our pond meetings are Charity Days with one supporting the RNLI and the other supporting AAKSS which is the local air ambulance. Due to popular demand we will finish the year with two additional Winter Workshops, one incorporating the AGM. Our membership numbers remain stable and we have gained some new members following a big push to promote our pond meetings which we advertise free of charge in two magazines distributed in the local area. This increase in spectators has resulted in us adding a document to our website entitled “Model Boats – Getting Started”. Many parents and/or grand-parents are looking to encourage the younger generation away from the TV and the Xbox, so hopefully the world of Model Boats will fulfil that requirement.

**LINK**

Thread: HMS Prince of Wales
17/11/2019 16:54:56

Before I retired I used for visit a company where one of the Project Engineers was ex Royal Navy. He had served on Ark Royal and showed me a photo of when the Ark visited the States include one of Ark Royal moored with some US carriers. Which one is Ark Royal, I asked? He pointed to the vessel which I had assumed was just used for ferrying the crew back and forth to the shore.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor