By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Davo1

Here is a list of all the postings Davo1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lead Ballast
13/06/2010 13:43:32
Thanks everyone for your input ,appreciate advice concerning safety.

The problem I have is the limited  size of the keel cavity. 2kilos of lead is a lot of lead. If I use shot  and resin combined it could need twice the space of that  of solid lead ..I am finding it difficult to track down a local supplier of lead shot anyway and I will be making more than 1 boat.

I like the fluid lead product but 2 kilos freighted to Australia would be too costly.

I think that properly dried  out a plaster mould could be the best answer allowing me to cast the lead in one piece.

David

Edited By David Walters 1 on 13/06/2010 13:44:06

11/06/2010 10:42:47
Oop's I will really have to re -think this. Advice about lead and water taken on board. Thank you.

David.
11/06/2010 10:01:15
Thank you Colin, I have to place about 2.5 kilos of lead as far low as possible in the yacht. I think melting is the only way to achieve this. Hopefully  adding small amounts of lead at a time .

Would it be best by floating the boat in water  while adding the molten lead or is it best done in the original mould?

Cheers
david
11/06/2010 08:32:08
Hi All,

Looking for advice on how to pour molten lead into the keel/bilge of a fibreglass yacht under construction. First not to destroy the fibreglass from the heat and and to make sure the waterline is correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
David.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor