By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Wilson

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Wilson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How many people still scratch build?
09/05/2009 09:41:37
Hi Colin,
Thanks for reply.    I can agree with everything you say.    Best to leave it at that.    Rest assured, I have not been insulted by any assumptions made about me.    On my first trip to sea 48 years ago, I realised that I had to become "thick-skinned" from the very start and give as much as I got.     

I am now about to depart for North West Shipwrights.   I do hope that at least some of you will be able to come along.    We cover everything from plastic kits to scratchbuild, semi-scratchbuild, maritime paintings and full scratchbuilds.       The whole day is noticable for good humour and laughter.    One of our very firm rules is that  we are not critical of others models - they are never judged.

Best wishes
Bob    
09/05/2009 08:05:00
I am not saying that "I know for absolute - end of story!      I am stating what to me is obvious (althoguh I accept the fact that to most of you I am wrong).   But most of you are saying for absolute I am wrong as well because YOU know!

Anyway, I don't buy motors or prop shafts because I haven't made powered models for years, so that doesn't apply to me.

"If its not a kit it's scratchbuilt!"     That comes under the same category as those who state the definition that only a three masted vessel square rigged on all three masts is a ship, anything else is a boat!

So, you think I am tunnel visioned, arrogant and pompous," in life as well as shipmodelling.      

The only thing I can say to that is that today (9th May, 2009), I am going to the North West Model Shipwrights meeting at the Church Hall in the Church of Our Lady & St. Michael, Grimsargh, Lancashire.    The doors open at 1000 and the meeting commences at 1100 and carries on until about 1600, breaking for lunch 1230 to 1400.   Some members bring sandwiches, others go to the local pub.     Guests are always welcome.
Wives, partners and supervised children are also welcome.   Our ages range from middle 40s to late 80s.   (I am 65).     Please come along  and if, after meeting me, you can again repeat that I am tunnel-visioned, arrogant and pompous, I will, of course accept it.    There is plenty of free parking space as we park in the school car park adjoining the church.   

I will be taking the model of the EARL GRANVILLE along.      Members and guests are encouraged to take models.   It is a grand day out!

P.S.   I did not achieve any great position in life, so I have no qualifications to being tunnel visioned, arrogant and pompous.    Between early 1960 and late 1992, I was merely a merchant seaman.      Before that, I failed my 11+ and didn't even get a single O level.    After that, I spent the years late 1992 to the present day scratchbuilding model ships.

Please do come along.   We have over 60 members, but the average attendance is between 20 and 25.

Best wishes
Bob
Thread: Iron barque EARL GRANVILLE
08/05/2009 21:30:40
Couldn't keep away from it, I am afraid.   After a few days, my dejected spirits rallied and the tools came out again.   I am now building the SS POLITICIAN, the "Whisky Galore" ship.    32'=1".
Bob
08/05/2009 21:28:07
Maybe, but I am not dictating anything, just that if you go and buy fittings, I don't see how you can say you are scratchbuilding.      I don't think the fabrication of small parts such as bollards is beyond the capabilities of "shed" men.   It is just that they have been led to believe it is.        Scratchbuilding has indeed virtually died out, and although I lament the fact - it is a true statement!          We are not talking about real ships in any case.   In a shipyard, they will "buy in" lifeboats, engines, ropes, cables, anchors, deck fittings etc, but they are assembling ships, not models.        If you like assembling kits, fine - if you like buying bits that you "think" you can't make, again fine.    But  you are not scratchbuilding.     Call it semi-scratcbuilding if you want, but it is not true scratchbuilding.       There is no point in lengthy replies, because I can't be budged on this and haven't the inclination to wrangle about it for ever and ever anyway!   
Bob   
08/05/2009 19:15:39
The original question was "how many people still scratchbuild?"    The lack of suppliers of deck fittings has nothing to do with it as far as I can see.   If you buy deck fittings, you are not scratchbuilding!    I fear that hardly anyone scratchbuilds these days.    I don't think it is because the skills are not there, I think it is mainly because kit producers have convinced Joe Public that perect or near-perfect models can only be produced from a kit.

Lots & lots & lots of people have told me that they heven't the time to scratch build, but when I ask how long it takes to build a kit, they usually come up with either months or years.    I seldom take more than a few weeks and even so, I don't spend each and every day on them!    But then again, I scratchbuild!.
Bob
Thread: Iron barque EARL GRANVILLE
01/05/2009 18:58:38
Hi Colin,
Thanks.   At the moment, I am "becalmed!"    The EEC Distance Selling Regulations have virtually wiped me out because I cannot agree to their unrealistic rules and regulations!.   No longer able to particpiate in selling on the internet via my website, I have to rely on the twice yearly maritime auctions in London.    The last one on the 29th of April was hardly an outstanding success.    Had four models there, but only one sold.     Although it went for a good price (£720).   At the  sale before that, one out of three went for a very low price.      Fortunately, I have now reached the age of 65 and am getting OAP, so really wondering if it is even worth carrying on.    Will probably still build something, I can hardly stop after 50 or more years of model building, but they would soon fill up the house if I carried on at the rate I have built in the past (sometimes 16 or 17 a year).     My main outlets were once USA and Far East, but good old Europe has put the stoppers on that!     At sea on long voyages we used to say "more days, more dollars," now I gues it is "Less work, less tax!"    In the short term, I am turning more towards writing.   It pays well and Eurppe still haven't got vtheir claws into it (yet).
Bob

01/05/2009 16:45:57
Complted it at about 1600BST today.
Bob

30/04/2009 19:03:08
I have done quite a lot of work on the model over the past few days and have now set and rigged 8 out of the 10 square sails.    My wife painted the sea this afternoon.   Tomorrow, I hope to set and rig the two royals, and fit the model into the sea.   I made the display case a while back, so the whole thing should be complete by tomorrow afternoon.
Bob

29/04/2009 11:19:53
I have now completed all the fore-and-aft sails and the standing rigging on all three masts.    All that remains is to fit and rig the ten square sails.    I have already completed the display case, carrying case and sea, although the sea still needs to be painted and my wife does that.
Bob

23/04/2009 09:02:21
Ashley,
Thanks for reply.    Here is another one, very similar to EARL GRANVILLE.   It is the Norwegian barque SVAERDSTAD.   Same scale, 32'=1" all built from bits & pieces.    Masts & rigging all metal rod and copper wire.
Bob

22/04/2009 19:24:11
For several weeks now, I have been working on a miniature of the British barque EARL GRANVILLE, that I began on the  11th March last.    Have been working very slow on this one as I have been taking advantage of the fact that I have now reached the age 65 and feel that from now on I can do what I want, when I want.      Presently swinging from intense modelmaking activity to leisure, to bone-idleness, writing and back to modelmaking again.
Today after completing an amazing 3.4 hours work on it, the EARL GRANVILLE is now ready for the riggers.      I find it sad that most model shipbuilders display little interest in this era (iron & steel square-riggers of the late 1900s).

All built from bits & pieces, total expenditure is confined to three lots of glue (superglue, contact adhesive & white wood glue).

Shouldn't take long to rig it, few days if I get a move on, couple of weeks if I don't.
Bob

21/04/2009 14:12:02
I don't have any rules.     Hulls are usually wood, but the rest of the model contains plastic, brass, steel, copper,plywood, veneer, acrylic, plasticine etc etc.

This one, WINCHESTER CASTLE, was built from materials that were just lying around.    The most expensive material was the 3mm acrylic for the display case (that I also made myself).
Bob

18/04/2009 19:13:09
When I look at this post, it shows Kristoph as the last entry, but from my computer, I can't see it - I have the last entry!    Where has it gone?
Bob
16/04/2009 09:01:56
I suppose he should have said you need time, plus one or both of the others.    But time is a constant, we all have it.    When someone says  to me "I haven't time to build a model," I tend to think well what are you doing looking at mine, or reading this posting, how did you manage to find time for that?         If you want to do something, you can always find the time.    If you don't really want to do it, you use "no time" as an excuse!
Bob
Thread: Classic Ship Models
05/04/2009 18:05:08
I suppose this model of PREUSSEN is pretty unusual as not many ship model builders want to tackle anything with enormous amount of rigging such as this.      It is just over sixteen inches long on the waterline.    25'=1" scale.    All the masts and spars are metal rod or tube, whilst the rigging is 100% copper wire (even the ratlines).
Despite the complexity, it didn't take all that long.    117 hours total and that included building the display case and carrying case.    The work was timed on a stopwatch and so is accurate.    There are no shop-bought parts in it - all hand made.
Bob

05/04/2009 17:53:18
Hi Colin,
Thanks.   I built the NORMAN COURT a few months ago.    Maybe you were looking at my old website.   Changed it some time ago to www.miniatureships.blogspot.com 
Bob
04/04/2009 19:52:51
This is one made a while back.  Tea Clipper NORMAN COURT,      It is many years since I came across anyone else who does miniatures, but there are still a handful about.   Once upon a time, I wrote regularly for Model Boats (60s & 70s),  but interest in this sort of thing has now almost died away.
Bob

04/04/2009 19:36:56
I only scratchbuild.    Kits are too expensive and far too difficult as one is working to someone else's thoughts & instructions.   Also same old subjects CUTTY SARK, VICTORY, TITANIC, BOUNTY etc.
Bob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor