By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy C

Here is a list of all the postings Andy C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Website wobble
07/10/2017 22:05:28

Not working on safari from iPad either. Just a blank page

Andy

Thread: New Build
03/10/2017 22:28:34

Okay, so plan transferred to tracing and layout paper. All cut out ready to apply to the wood.

dcd2bbc2-e2f6-48a4-ab10-7d850d1e72b6.jpeg

Using balsa as per Glynn’s original design.

Thread: What am I doing wrong now
03/10/2017 22:26:22

Thanks Ashley

Only need to add a couple of ounces. Old obsolete sockets from a 1/2 socket set make great weights.

Andy

Thread: New Build
02/10/2017 20:37:03

So, izzy had a turn with Tom's fire boat. Bad idea. Seems the Goblin/hibiscus is now not fast enough. although tom's boat is an Ashley LCM converted to squirt water, it actually moves goes quite fast. It probably is not designed to plane, but it almost does. It only has a Speed 400 in it but she has a good turn of speed.

So, now I have to build a speed boat. Izzy had a look through all the plans and originally thought she liked the look of a Huntsman or Swordsman. I don't have a swordsman plan, although I do have a huntsman. Cool, I though, nice choice.

Until that is she saw the Vivace from Glynn. Guess which one I am now going to try and build.

NQD jet drive of all things. Fleabay to the rescue or at least it will in 2-3 weeks when it gets delivered.

So out with the plan and build log from the magazine and now reading through it to see how it all goes together.

Will keep you posted.

andy

02/10/2017 20:24:52

A little bit of tidying up, another coat of paint and some red and yellow stripes down the sides and it is finally finished.

I am going to build a little console in the rear housing to hold a steering wheel and another PlayMobile man, yes that’s who is sitting on the rear deck hose unit.

Andy

02/10/2017 20:14:00

So, finally made it to the lake around 12.00 ish. Had Tom’s new fire boat and Izzy’s goblin/hibiscus. Nice bit of wind for the sail boat so Izzy off having fun. Now for the maiden voyage of the LCM/fire boat. Receiver on, battery on and away she motors. So far so good. Heeling over a bit despite the added ballast on the opposite side to the motor. Need an extra washer or two.

Now for the water cannons

c58038c9-28ef-424e-b7b3-7f454206e954.jpeg

One really good the other, not so good.

Will investigate the connections.

Both boats side by side.

6e85564d-a634-4440-b174-ee34fc359689.jpeg

I have a viper marine 15 and this works like we discussed earlier so will wire in properly.

Andy

01/10/2017 09:54:00

Dha, 10 o’clock, a twelve year old out of bed in time to get there for then, no chance. Will be a bit later than that. Will take some photos as evidence.

Andy

30/09/2017 23:33:45

So. Finally decided to just get it finished. Only one squirter but a T piece out to two playmobile fire monitors. We are going to take it to the lake, as long as it is not raining too hard, tomorrow. It does at least float. Will bring the goblin/hibiscus down too. May see you there Ashley

Andy

Thread: Vic Smeed's Hydro-Bat
08/09/2017 07:01:00

Okay so how the heck do you saw a slot in a rod that small?

Andy

Thread: Vintage Gentleman's Cruiser
05/09/2017 20:48:12

Stupid question from Kevin. Can you not see the rib things from inside the boat with the top off, before drilling?

Kevin

Edited By Andy C on 05/09/2017 20:48:53

Thread: Todays Boating
05/09/2017 20:43:16

Very nice, as usual Ashley

Andy.

Thread: 27 or 40 or 2.4
03/09/2017 20:04:20

Posted by Chris Fellows on 02/09/2017 23:30:38:

Andy - I bought a boat last year which came with an Acoms Techniplus AP-202 2 channel 27 Mhz transmitter and I think a Hitec receiver.

I'm going to change to 2.4 Ghz so if the Acoms is any good to you, you can have it. Though I guess 2 channels isn't enough for your needs?

Regards, Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 02/09/2017 23:34:01

Thanks for the thought Chris, but it needs 3 channels.

Cheers

Andy

01/09/2017 17:51:02

This has been an enlightening discussion. Cornwall MB do indeed have both F14 and F14 navy available. not quite £200.00 but close enough for me not to bother for a small scale one off build. I might buy a S/H £20 job if I can find one but not just yet. As DG says, submariners will have a problem eventually, they may have the transmitter but receivers will dry up eventually.

Thanks for all your thoughts though.

01/09/2017 08:33:56

This is the article from sub-driver

​​**LINK**

01/09/2017 08:31:51
Posted by Brian Dickinson 1 on 01/09/2017 08:22:42:

Hi. So why won't the sets work on sub? Is it to do with the frequency?

Bri

Hi Brian

Yes, 2.4 is a lower frequency so does not penetrate water.

Andy

01/09/2017 08:26:04
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 31/08/2017 23:24:56:

Although I did find an article about extending the aerial on a 2.4 receiver.

There be dragons, Andy. It will void any warranty and I don't see how it might work. I'd avoid such Heath Robinson modifications if it were mine.

Dave M

Hi Dave

My kit is long out of warranty now. There seems to be some backlash in the sub fraternity all over the world to the move to 2.4. They are trying to find ways to get around the problem.

Thanks d g. I will keep looking for the right kit.

31/08/2017 21:46:27

Hmm tricky conundrum. Will keep looking into it.

Although I did find an article about extending the aerial  on a 2.4 receiver.

Might investigate that angle more.

Andy

Edited By Andy C on 31/08/2017 22:06:25

31/08/2017 19:46:29

hi all

Just got the new mag in the post. Glynn builds a great submarine. Problem is I don't own a 27 or 40 transmitter set. I know 2.4 won't work so the question is, can you still get good value transmitters? I have checked and fleabay comes up a lot but not sure that is the route to take. At 200 quid plus for some new sets it seems a lot to me. I have looked into openlrs too but again would have to buy a new radio to convert. Any thoughts?

Andy

Thread: waterproofing
09/08/2017 14:47:18

Hi Eric

Take a look at the Features page, under tips tricks etc. Look for Finishing and Sealing a Wooden Hull

Oops, copy paste gone mad. Anyway, I found this really helpful and full of good tips. Including the rubbing down and painting process too.

Here is the link - Colin

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/finishing-and-sealing-of-wooden-hulls/18771

Cheers

Andy

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 09/08/2017 15:08:55

04/08/2017 20:56:49

Now where is the fun in that. It has only taken about a year to get this far. I have been building other stuff, not maritime related. I have a mtronic viper 15 that will do. Might even get this thing finished and down to the pond.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor