By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris E

Here is a list of all the postings Chris E has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is Model Boats Magazine Going to 12 Issues per Year?
19/10/2020 20:48:16

Model Boats Magazine has always been 13 issues per year which means a 4 week gap between magazines.

I note that the November issue (30th October) is scheduled to be 5 weeks after the October issue (25th September) and if they then go back to the 4 week interval we will be getting an issue on Christmas Day 25th December surprise.

Subscriptions are still 13 issues but the occasional 5 week interval is used by 12 issue magazines to fill the year.

I wonder what, if anything, is going on.

Thread: Guidance
19/10/2020 07:54:37

If you own these machines what is stopping you trying to do what you want to do?

When using any saw good setup, sharp blades of the correct type and practice are the key to success.

What do you mean by "sheets" of 1mm or less? What depth of cut is involved? You will need a good fence. A well clamped piece of wood/metal is often better than the fence supplied with saws.

Edited By Chris E on 19/10/2020 08:03:50

Thread: Todays Boating
18/10/2020 15:12:22

That is brilliant & I still think most unlikely in 60ft water. smiley thumbs up

Now he has got 2.

Edited By Chris E on 18/10/2020 15:14:14

Thread: What Happens to Model Boats Magazine Unsold Copies?
15/10/2020 09:53:39

Interesting but sad.

I hope that at some point in the dim and distant future I might get back into a clubhouse.

Edited By Chris E on 15/10/2020 09:56:36

14/10/2020 18:08:07

Colin

Thanks for that. It is what I suspected.

Out of interest pulping might be standard but I know a number of publications that attend shows with back issues which are often at a special 3 for £5 type price.

Traplet used to do this.

14/10/2020 15:33:39

I have been looking for access to print back issues of Model Boats magazine but I cannot find anyone selling the new unsold physical copies with free plans included. This leads me to ask what happens to them?

I note that all the covers & contents are included in "features" above but no indication of how to buy them.

I also note that not all plans included as Free Plans become available from Sarik

I understand that newsagents return them to their wholesalers but then what?

Are they simply pulped? If so what a waste.

If not where can they be obtained?

Edited By Chris E on 14/10/2020 15:51:13

Thread: wood breaking
09/10/2020 18:19:04

I wouldn't just assume to buy another part as if you broke one you might well do the same with a second piece. If all else fails buy some thinner ply and laminate a part.

Punctuation & sentences make text much easier to read.

Thread: Todays Boating
09/10/2020 12:56:34

I wish you all possible luck with this.

Be prepared for things on the bottom other than the yacht to grab you grapple.

I have never tried to do this but if I did I would think of using a disposable grapple and a double line through a hoop on the grapple so that i could always recover the line if the grapple got jammed.

Edited By Chris E on 09/10/2020 13:15:01

Thread: Disarmodel Vanguard tug as RC
01/10/2020 11:22:38

Edited By Chris E on 01/10/2020 11:42:18

Thread: Balsa Shortage
30/09/2020 11:35:53
Posted by Charles Oates on 30/09/2020 10:55:40:

Chris, my comment, re breathing, was out of order, I'm sorry. The point was that if you waterproof the inside of a model, it will help prevent de lamination with lite ply, and as balsa is prone to swelling when wet, it will help the model be stable for a long time. I'm certain that there are un sealed models out there that are also decades old, that's probably due to good maintainence, storage and infrequent use.

Chas

Agreed. I think that Cascamite & real wood bread & butter construction helped as well.

30/09/2020 10:20:55

Dave

This discussion has somehow gone wrong.

Yes I am a modeller but I have not used knowingly used LitPly. I have read some very dismissive reports on Litply and I was just trying to full understand its characteristics and how you use it with success whereas as others fail miserably.

I realise that no wood is waterproof but some are more resilient to water damage than others. I am now seeing Liteply as more like balsa than birch ply (in need of a high level of protection).

I have read what you have written about fibreglass covering & that is the way to go as well as what I do. I am, however also aware of various finishing methods suggested by others and I have known of modellers who don't do anything to the inside of their hulls to let the wood "breath". They seem to get away with this but they would not do so with LitePly. They seemed to manage to breath without great difficulty.

Edited By Chris E on 30/09/2020 10:38:58

30/09/2020 08:53:20

Dave M

That is a useful summary.

The thing that I note most strongly is the need to have a very durable and totally waterproof finish inside & out as the liteply isn't waterproof and compared to birch ply is impact damage prone.

Thread: MFA385 - A Story of Confusion
29/09/2020 14:41:41

Yes knowledge & testing are a great help.

29/09/2020 11:56:40
Posted by Richard Simpson on 28/09/2020 10:38:23:

........................... My choice of motor, to date, has simply been based on size......................

Um.................. You have been very lucky if you have been successful using this method of selection.

I have also read the thread from the gent with the barge. It is the sort of thing that an experienced modeller would sort out very easily (probably by avoiding the problem in the first place) but I guess that there is nobody to help. Unfortunately forums are not ideal for sorting it out.

29/09/2020 11:48:01

Charles

Thanks for that. When you said "a bit of practice" I thought that there might be something specific.

Thread: MFA385 - A Story of Confusion
28/09/2020 11:19:55

Richard Simpson

I don't think that the MFA motors were designed for specific model boat use at all. They are general small dc motors that can be used for pretty well anything that requires a small dc motor. I agree that you could put a larger prop on the LN motor.

If we look at the next range up – the 540 – the situation becomes even more confused. These are just 5 examples but there are many more out there with wildly varying specifications.

Mtronics 500 which gives at maximum efficiency 12v /4700rpm /2.7A

MFA list the 540.1 and the 540LN. The 540LN is a 5 pole motor which gives 12v /5258rpm/1.42A. The 540.1 is a 3 pole motor giving 12v/ 6180rpm/2.1A.

Component Shop used to list a 540 giving 12v /13360rpm / 2.85A

Hobby King list the Mabushi 540 – 6527 which gives 9.6v/ 20040rpm(!!!) /6.8A

Add to this the tendency of beginners to look for the “free” motor that came out of a power tool and about which they know nothing.

Edited By Chris E on 28/09/2020 11:36:06

27/09/2020 09:32:15

I will repeat something that I said some time ago. A tutorial on successfully using Lite Ply would be very welcome. There seem to be lots of misapprehensions and simple ignorance around (including mine).

Charles Oates

What did you learn ?

26/09/2020 18:59:40

Balsa has been used as a core material for a very long time. When I was involved with expensive full size yachts in the 1970's Balsa was often used as a core material between the skins of decks to make them light & rigid. I guess that foam is used now. It was available a balsa plywood.

I had also heard (apparently wrongly) that Lite Ply contained Balsa.

I agree that growing balsa is preferable to clearing the traditional forest for crops but I suspect that if demand increases greatly it will be "as well" as rather than "instead of". I doubt that modelling use makes much difference but I can imagine that the quantities that you could use in Wind Turbines would be enormous.

26/09/2020 09:34:04

I seem to remember that Solarbo have their own plantation (in Indonesia?????) so there is likely to be some availability but at what price I don't know..

Tragically this all sounds like another reason to cut down some tropical forest.

A lot of model aircraft are now now made of foam and even that has problems as the favourite foam for amateurs was Depron & you cannot get it any more.

25/09/2020 18:06:48

The first time that I saw this reported was about 6 months ago. The potential problem is that I can't see it being resolved in a hurry. I wonder how long new Balsa forests take to grow?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor