By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris E

Here is a list of all the postings Chris E has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: depron hull and 'tights'
16/01/2021 13:12:49
Posted by Colin Bishop on 16/01/2021 11:47:57:

Support tights then Chris?

Colin

.............and a corset

16/01/2021 11:41:22

I fly models made of Depron (or similar) and cover the high damage areas in packing tape or laminating film. It certainly helps but I would not describe either as very damage resistant.

If I were to make a Depron hull I would in essence want to build a hull around it using the depron as a buck. How far you need to go with this would depend on the type and weight of the model, The ambition would be that whatever I covered the hull with was substantial enough to resist the damage that I inevitably subject my models to.

I don't think that, for me, one layer of tights would be anywhere near enough.

14/01/2021 19:29:49

I seem to remember that one one of his models Ron pinned the tights into the space that they would otherwise bridge.

It didn't sound very easy to me which is why I remember it. You would need to be sure that there was absolutely no gap anywhere.

I would be interested to know the penetration resistance of this construction method which I suspect isn't very much

Thread: Digital Archive Not Accessible
12/01/2021 18:02:06

Um...................

Your reply suggests that it will take a lot longer than my reply did! A tleast it is underway.

12 or 13 issues per year since 2008 = around 150 issues per title x 7? titles - around 1000 issues. Gulp.

I hope that Beth is well underway and that Model Boats is near the top of the list.

Edited By Chris E on 12/01/2021 18:05:29

11/01/2021 19:02:05

Some good news to report to the few of us that are interested. It sounds like the archive is saved and soon to be available again.

I have had an email from Beth:

" It’ll be online as soon as I can get it up, in the same format that the current issues are."

I read this as the work has been done and it is now a question of getting it onto the website. Given the present situation "as soon as I can get it up" might take a little time. Hopefully it isn't too big a problem and can be resolved quickly.

Thread: Cheaper power pack/vac
10/01/2021 16:35:18

Ray

It so much depends on what you want to use them for.

I am guessing that they are a couple of this series of batteries at £4.09 each so 7.4v 2500mah for £8.18. rated for 8C (20A)

18650 cells

I have one of these & the batteries are fine for low current use & they are a great torch! 2 x 18650. I suspect that the 6400mah is fictional and I have no idea on the discharge rating but it sure does work. I give this as an example rather than a specific recommendation. There are lots of similar worklights around. They are also very good for lighting the bits that are always in shadow although for modelling you will only want half power or strong sunglasses.

Amazon Work Light

Thread: Todays Boating
10/01/2021 14:17:11

I still think that your 20" landing craft would make a good free plan and could easily be shown as the different variants that you have built inc ferry etc..

Thread: Cheaper power pack/vac
10/01/2021 14:11:25

I am not sure why this is such a good deal.

The charger will have a dedicated socket for the vacuum & is probably sealed. Most of us own a charger anyway.

The motor is unknown spec . Who knows what rpm it achieves nor what size it is but if the spec is right it runs around 5A - 6.5A in the vacuum .

So for me £14.99 buys a 2200mah 7.2v battery and a difficult to use charger.

Am I missing something?

Edited By Chris E on 10/01/2021 14:12:42

07/01/2021 16:24:28

Well it is now 7th January and the archive February 2019 and prior is still on Adobe Flash Player which is a threat to computer security for anybody that uses it.

I am guessing that Colin Bishop's message to Beth of the 23rd December has gone unanswered.

You would think that this was the ideal project for working from home.

Thread: Todays Boating
04/01/2021 14:17:35
Posted by Colin Bishop on 04/01/2021 10:22:27:

I'm not sure if the water quality was cleaner back then but, as Richard says, it certainly isn't now with all the natural and man made pollution being poured into it. and from run off. There are plenty of instances of people becoming very sick from ingesting river or pond water. Plus of course today's kids have not been brought up like us older people who spent their childhoods messing about in streams and outdoors which helped build up immunity.

It's amazing just how many younger people have allergies of one sort or another these days.

Colin

So that would make it unsafe for kids to bring their model boat to the park pond as they would inevitably get some water on their hands.

If ponds are seen as dangerous I can see the demands that they be filled in.

There are surely times in life when you just have to accept that life has dangers even if the no win no fee lawyers would not agree.

Edited By Chris E on 04/01/2021 14:18:53

03/01/2021 08:52:00
Posted by Rich Griff 1 on 02/01/2021 22:26:11:

When I lived by the seaside I often though of r/c ING a plastic decoy duck, with a car windscreen washer system inside.........to spray the many holiday makers with.....oh to be young again😁

We had a member who fitted a squirter to his model and the kids loved until running into the very small jet until one mother went spare demanding to know if the model carried pure water as the pond could contain all sorts of nasties. That was the end of that.

This was despite the fact that her child had moved into the water jet rather than the water jet had been aimed at the child.

01/01/2021 10:58:27

OK - promised might be a little strong.

Flash is going to be removed from Windows computers 13 Jan but it is unsupported now and it has been recommended that you remove it from your computer for a long time (12 months?)

If you can see the October 2019 and previous issues from the digital archive you are still running Adobe Flash which it is strongly recommended that you should not be doing.

Adobe Flash End of Life

Thread: flexible propeller shafts
01/01/2021 09:59:33
Posted by Malcolm Frary on 01/01/2021 09:40:13:

Tugs do need reverse, flex shafts tend to unwind themselves in reverse, so they don't get used on tugs.

Agreed. Never use flexible shafts if you need reverse which you most certainly do with a tug.

I am not familiar with MMJ, and thus clearly not your model, but with a tug hull it is normally possible to mount the motors quite low. Yours must be the exception.

Edited By Chris E on 01/01/2021 10:03:42

01/01/2021 08:34:29

They have missed the Jan 1 promised changeover to something other than Flash Player. As this is now unsupported and is not on my computer at all I am hoping that something happens soon. Hopefully as Monday is the beginning of a normal week something might happen then.

Thread: Lesro575
30/12/2020 18:39:58

I used to have a 575 & thoroughly enjoyed sailing it.

It was actually the second sailing model that I had but it had a much shallower keel than the first which had a deep fin and bulb keel. Great except that it was very prone to getting stuck in weed which the 575 didn't. Something to think about.

Have you considered a footy? Lots of designs around includes many free ones.

Footy UK

Footy

Edited By Chris E on 30/12/2020 19:00:59

Thread: Model Boat Mayhem Trojan 15:15 2020.12.28????
29/12/2020 10:20:06

Colin

Thank you. Your search is much appreciated.

I was debating whether to ignore a warning from something that I pay for so that it gives me just such warnings!

28/12/2020 21:55:28

At 21:54 it is still blocking me.

Would someone please tell me if it is just me or is there a problem with the Mayhem forum.

28/12/2020 15:37:27

On the basis that many Mayhemers also frequent this forum I thought that I would mention that this afternoon Malwarebytes Premium is blocking my access to the Model Boat Mayhem forum due to a Trojan.

Real or false alarm I have no idea.

23/12/2020 11:33:13

Colin

Did you pursue this and find out anything?

Thread: Sarik Styrene Hulls
23/12/2020 09:58:10

Sarik tell me that Plaudit is moulded from 2mm.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor