By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris E

Here is a list of all the postings Chris E has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mixing paint
20/03/2021 10:58:34

Beware oil based house paints - particularly white. The solvent that they use has changed and whites now turn a horrible yellowy colour very quickly (or at least all the ones that I have heard of/tried do). Acrylics do not have this problem.

I guess all colours have the same problem but it is very obvious with white.

Colour change makes matching for repairs etc very difficult.

20/03/2021 09:18:50

Mixing paint colours is a real skill.

It is easier to make a light colour darker than it is to make a dark colour lighter.

Remember those pots of water on schoolkids desks where it always ends up a muddy brown.

Thread: Todays Boating
20/03/2021 08:47:19

Ashley.

Just a word of praise. I always enjoy your articles as they are both well presented and are something that is both attainable and out of the ordinary. I have absolutely no problem with non flying aircraft and DUKW (& variants) that only work on water etc. They are stimulating ideas.

Your articles, & Glynn Guests, are somehow attainable models that will generate interest in both the magazine and at the pond. Interest hopefully equals both continuing interest of existing modellers and new future modellers.

Well done & don't be put off. Your modelling is fun & I am all for it.

Thread: Model Boats April 2021
19/03/2021 08:27:01
"..................................IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT DO NOT BUY IT."

Isn't that exactly the situation that we want to avoid? I want a successful magazine that lots of people want to buy and read rather than one that many decide not to buy which makes it unviable to continue publication .

Don't get me wrong I think that Lindsey is doing a good job and I hope that she has a clear direction for the magazine and is actively pursuing it.

Edited By Chris E on 19/03/2021 08:28:43

18/03/2021 12:12:55

Colin

Thank you. That is what I would have hoped for.

No criticism of Lindsey. I can imagine that picking up a magazine with current Covid issues and limited resources isn't easy. I have enjoyed that recent issues at a time when getting anything is cause for celebration.

Edited By Chris E on 18/03/2021 12:18:08

18/03/2021 08:20:02
Posted by Colin Bishop on 17/03/2021 22:39:31:

Well Chris, could I refer you to page 64 in the December/January issue where our Editor devotes two pages to doing just that - or don't you actually read the magazine?

Colin

Yes Colin I do read the magazine and I saw the article but that is only part of the point (although I am very pleased to see them trying to encourage new writers). I can see that getting new writers is a matter of attracting them but with experienced writers, such as yourself, I would have thought that the magazine might ask you if you could write an article on ????? (within your area of expertise) as they would like to feature one in the magazine.

Who had the idea for your motor/models article?

Isn't finding and commissioning material what editors do?

Edited By Chris E on 18/03/2021 08:26:54

17/03/2021 21:47:53

Without commenting on Empire Parkstones observations I find it surprising ghat the magazine is entirely passive and simply takes what it is offered.

Surely the magazine wants some say in what it gets and encourages writers to provide it?

Thread: Beginner's kit - simple, not too dear
14/03/2021 11:16:47

Forgot these. Nice kits which come complete with items such as rudders which are extras with other kits. Made with German efficiency.

Aeronaut

14/03/2021 10:26:52

These two?

Hughes

Amera

When comparing costs remember to include delivery. If you order small cheap items the delivery can be as much as the item ordered and if you order bits one at a time there can be a lot of delivery charges to pay.

Edited By Chris E on 14/03/2021 10:50:22

Thread: outlet pipe?
07/03/2021 11:57:36

Posted by Richard Simpson on 28/02/2021 11:23:54:.

........................................ As usual you cannot beat experimentation and buying yourself an infra-red temperature sensor is a worthwhile investment for such a trial. Hammer it around the pond a few times under deferring conditions and immediately take a reading of the motor casing. Let it cool back to ambient and then try a different set up. You may even surprise yourself!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 28/02/2021 11:25:03

unless it is a brushless outrunner. in which case measure the temp of the bit of the motor that doesn't move. The heat is in the coils & not the case

Edited By Chris E on 07/03/2021 11:58:25

Thread: pushrods
07/03/2021 10:09:57

A couple of members flew the Dave Boddington Tinker biplane (OS15) which was a truly lovely little model and about the only 3 channel that I ever enjoyed apart from a Red Zephyr that appeared occasionally.

All the Boddington designed planes that I flew were much better than the average. I always fancied a Barnstormer 63 but never built one.

Never tried a Mini Super. Were Mini Supers all 3 channel like the Ben Buckle kit?

07/03/2021 09:48:06

Yes. Shortened Bicycle spokes for the metal parts bound with heavy duty thread and white glue to a 1/4 balsa pushrod. We used to put a hook on the end of the spoke and a matching hole in the wood to make sure that it didn't move.

My models were rather less relaxed than a KK Super 60.

I started with a fibreglass 3 channel fibreglass 60" something (which I never liked as it was heavy and with an Enya 32 underpowered) then a Yamamoto (Irvine 40) then a WOT4 Mk1 48" ( which started with the Irvine 40 and as I had learned my lesson Irvine 61 + Pipe!) then a Vertigo and a Panic biplane. Irvine motors were great except the carbs. They were glass filled nylon and gradually grabbed the throttle barrel ever tighter. I think they gave me a new carb about once a month. Eventually I replaced it with the card off an OS61FSR which someone had destroyed leaving the carb undamaged.

I remember one old guy (probably younger than I am now) who had a super 60. He came down to the field and spent the afternoon telling us off for flying like hoodlums ( which was anything more than a gentle bentley around the field) before finally plucking up the courage for a single flight, This was a few laps of the field always in the same direction before a landing which was, to be fair, always within sane walking distance of where he was stood. Hhappy days.

Now small bits of foam and brushless motors but much more acrobatic than any of the larger planes.

Edited By Chris E on 07/03/2021 10:01:27

28/02/2021 14:59:55

I wish that we could convert. The problem that we have with converting is wall lights that use either candle or golf ball bulbs. We have always used 60w (42W halogen) bulbs which are around 625 lumens.

We need 7W+ LED candle/ golf balls which don't have the bottom half of the bulb as white plastic. We tried one with the bottom half plastic and the shadows were awful.

If anyone has come across any 7w+ clear LED candle/golf ball bulbs please tell me.

Thread: Digital Archive Not Accessible
25/02/2021 10:39:11

Great News.

As far as I can see the conversion is now complete except for December 2018 to February 2019. I suspect that this was forgotten so I will be emailing them.

18/02/2021 09:28:45

Thank you. Reminds me of what it used to be like here!

The stabilised camera makes an enormous difference. Is that just the standard GoPro feature?

13/02/2021 12:41:52

Bollard Pull + Amps sounds great.

like everything else it will have to wait.

Chris

13/02/2021 11:11:43

Ashley

If Richards motor is also 1000kv on 7.2v you will have results for X30, X40 and X50 which is a nice progression and useful for future model planning..

Lots of whoosh is always reassuring!

Chris

13/02/2021 10:16:11

Ashley

Did you conduct the test on the 40X on the 1000kv motor at 7.2v?

Thread: How to access Model Boats archived mags
09/02/2021 11:00:21

I find ScreenHunter a much better snipping tool than the one in Windows 10..

Yes you can print pages from issues in your Pocketmage subscription but I can only do so 2 pages at a time which mean articles are often 3 or 4 files long..

Edited By Chris E on 09/02/2021 11:03:45

08/02/2021 13:47:37

oops!

Thank you Colin

Now to try & find an email address!

Edited By Chris E on 08/02/2021 13:51:54

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor