By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Meier

Here is a list of all the postings David Meier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How many people still scratch build?
17/03/2009 19:07:59
Colins suggestion of first buying a RTR boat is what I did and it got me into the hobby. I am now at the painting stage in making an IC powered cracker box boat. The under coats and the top coat inside the hull are left over house paint, a bought spray can will do the outside of the hull.  The expensive bit was the new weed eater I bought for it's motor $128.00 NZ (I could have looked for something 2nd hand). The hull frame was made from  ply, glue and timber left over from working on the house, the 1.5mm ply was a damaged sheet and was given to me and I made the ruder assembly and prop shaft myself from bits of metal that were around the place. The tube from an old TV aerial, a bit of 6mm steel rod, sheet metal etc. I dont have much spare cash to put into the hobby but where there is a will there is a way. 
David.

Edited By David Meier on 17/03/2009 19:08:41

Thread: SD Card slot
17/03/2009 08:22:28
I love your riveted plates Bob and is that a bit of rust I see streaking down the hull?
David.
Thread: Warships
17/03/2009 08:15:13
I think the problem comes about when a posting is completely humour and doesn't address the topic of the thread at all. I cant for the life of me see the problem with a posting with technical content and humour. How ever some threads have had a series of postings that were what could only be described as banter and had no relevance to the intention of the thread, I can understand how it comes about and can also see that it could piss off the more serious members of the forum.
Cheers.
David.
Thread: Motor mount
15/03/2009 18:59:02
Hi JC. I have found that cling film (glad wrap) works well for a protective layer and the glue doesn't stick to it.

David.
Thread: The Rise & Fall of A Young RTR
14/03/2009 19:56:37

Hi Pierre. I think I am safe, all seems quiet on the ArnieS front lately.http://www.modelboats.co.uk/CuteEditor_Files/Images/emthup.gif

I recently met some people who have built 900mm long cracker box boats with petrol weed eater motors in them. They meet at a local lake and informally race them each Sunday. The boats are robust and cheap to make so it doesn't matter if they get knocked about a bit. I bought a Chinese made Australian brand weed eater for $128.00 NZ last week and have completed about 80% of the hull, Hope to have it ready for next Sunday. Am really looking forward to joining in the fun. I think this one will last a bit longer.

Cheers.

David.

13/03/2009 19:38:11
Ashley, you no a like a  my shaft couplings eh. They were the positive bit of the exercise, they worked a treat! in fact I bought a couple of proprietary couplings and they were so large and clunky looking compared to the size of the shafts that I couldn't bring myself to use them. Inner tube rubber under the motor and clamp is a good idea though and I agree it would have been better to have a separate clamping bar for each motor with a post screw each side. The way I had it the motors could have been clamped with different forces. One screw in the middle of my single bar might have worked as the bar would have deflected and acted like a leaf spring and still clamped if one motor settled a bit.
Lets face it the main problem was the nut loose on the TX.

David.
13/03/2009 05:35:58

The Fall.

The following week, it was back to Henley Lake with the boat for another run. The lake was about 300mm lower than the previous week and the weed correspondingly closer to the surface. Things were going well, the boat was fair hiking along and people were commenting on how fast it went, when it did a violent leap sideways and then seemed to go a bit slower. It was also very unresponsive when turning to starboard. Now someone less of a novice or with more active brain cells might have concluded Gee I must have hit a bit of weed but I managed to convince my self that it was the off-shore breeze that was hindering the turning. With some persistent effort and steering an erratic course, I finally got the boat back to shore. Surprise, surprise there was weed wrapped around one of the propellers; there was also a burning smell about the boat and upon taking off the cover I discovered a haze of smoke inside. The motor driving the fouled prop had revolved in its mount and twisted the wires tightly together, the wires forced through the heat softened insulation causing a short circuit; end of motor and speed controller.

I have learnt a few things from this mishap. The obvious one of dont be so thick next time, also I will positively key my motors in future so they cant rotate and will buy the more expensive speed controllers that have current limiting built in.

Some mothers do ave em.

David. 

13/03/2009 05:34:27
The boat performed very pleasingly when given its maiden run on Henley Lake. It is hard to say how much faster it went than the standard boat but it was certainly noticeable and having the full power when turning made the boat much zippier.

13/03/2009 05:31:23

I fashioned a rudder and mounting assembly from some odds and ends of sheet metal and brass stock that was lying around.

13/03/2009 05:30:20

The shaft to motor couplings were made from 1/8 stainless steel tube. One end was drilled 2.8mm dia to fit the prop shaft and the other end was drilled 2.3mm dia to fit the motor shaft. These were first used to align the motors in their housings, then when the motor bedding glue had set, the motors were withdrawn and flats filed on the motors and prop shafts. The tubes were slid over their respective shaft ends and deformed onto the shaft flats using a toolmakers clamp (or smooth face pliers). This process changed the tube to shaft fit from a snug fit to a small clearance fit therefore providing both a drive connection and a small amount of universal joint effect.

The tubes are working very well as a shaft coupler and their small diameter and mass mean that any out of balance will be minimal.

13/03/2009 05:28:30

The Rise.

When I was approaching early retirement I thought that I might take up Model boats as a hobby. To test the water I bought a cheap vacuum formed twin motored RTR speed boat through the Internet.

While it performed reasonably well I was disappointed with it primarily because there was only full speed or stop and it was steered by the means of one or other of the motors switching off.

As you know, it takes an increase in energy to change the direction of a body that is travelling at a steady rate and here was the boat dropping to half power to make a turn.

Never-the-less I was bitten by the bug and I bought two books, one called Radio control Model Boats by Phillip Connolly and Vic Smeed and the other was The Complete Marine Radio Control Manual by Hugh Bright. I also consumed every back issue of Model Boats magazine that I could lay my hands on in the local library.

I decided to exercise my new found knowledge and fit the boat with rudder steering and an electronic speed controller. Fortunately for me a colleague at work took an interest and persuaded me to re-power the boat with brushless motors.

We measured the current under load and the free running speed of the existing 360 type motors. My colleague then selected a pair of brushless motors that would give twice the power and would rev higher using a three cell 11.1 volt Lithium Polymer battery. The great thing is I would get a slightly longer run time as well.

I gutted the boat and using basic tools such as battery drill, hacksaw and file, I made a wooden mount for the two new AeroDrive B2040-2080 brushless motors and fitted the two HexTronik HXT36 brushless ESCs inside a plastic container to protect them from moisture.

Thread: Dhow Design and Scratch Construction
11/03/2009 06:26:06
Hi Keith. Would you post some progress pictures with a bit of commentary as you go along? I would be very interested, dhows fascinate me.

Cheers.
David.
10/03/2009 09:05:08
Paul. If you are not a member of any club why does a clubs decision to ban IC engines affect you? do they gave governance of the lake?
David.
Thread: Running in new electric motor
10/03/2009 06:02:58
Hey Ashley. The above sounds like a good reason for changing to brushless motors.
David.
08/03/2009 22:44:12
I am all for scratch building. For me a huge part of the enjoyment is in the building of the model, especially the hull. It is also fun trying ideas out when building a fast boat, to see what really works well.

David.
Thread: Bob's boards?
06/03/2009 20:01:14
Hi Pierre. Have a look at this site. www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.esc
They have a 20 amp brushed ESC for $8.33 US and everything they sell is postage free. It can take a couple of weeks to arrive but they are reliable. I have bought a lot of things from them. You pay online through PayPal which gives you security with the credit card transaction.

cheers.
David.

Thread: RIGHT TO REPLY
03/03/2009 18:53:46
Hi Paul. I too don't think you need to worry about a "club within a club". In the past it was you chaps that kept the forum going when it was struggling and are to be thanked for that. It is a fact of life in any group of people or club that it is only a small percentage of people that put in most of the effort and without those sort of people the group would founder.
Personally I think that the forum has become much more alive.  We have a wider range of personalities, more people posting, some very helpful ideas and technical info coming through and a bit of banter which helps me to get a bit of a feel for the personalities of the people posting.
I agree we must support Colin, he is doing a difficult job very well.

David.

Thread: Dust Extraction
03/03/2009 09:02:39
Paul. well done, That description you have given is a picture of your workshop. Gotcha.

David.
Thread: RIGHT TO REPLY
02/03/2009 19:27:54
Yes if you were to discourage the humour in this forum it would be a sad thing. To my way of thinking, a thread without humour in it is like a machine without oil. It wont go for long.

David.
Thread: Warships
02/03/2009 19:18:37
Pierre.
I have just realised why Ashley isn't worried about his prop shafts leaking. He likes boats that sink! Ha ha ha ha ha . OOh I enjoyed that. Why is it that your own jokes seem so good? 
Hey, how come we are talking about submarines under the topic category all things floating anyway?

David.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor