By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Meier

Here is a list of all the postings David Meier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: hull strengthening membrane?
20/12/2008 09:40:00

Thanks for the help Bob.

David.

Thread: AM verses FM Transmitters?
20/12/2008 09:03:00

Thanks Paul. I can get hold of a reasonably priced 35Mhz Transmitter from an e-sky helicopter. Could I fit 40Mhz crystals into that and use it for my boat?

Cheers.

David.

Thread: hull strengthening membrane?
20/12/2008 08:55:00

Hi. I am building my first scratch built boat, a tenth scale of a 7 meter Italian fishing trawler. It is balsa planks on ply frames. I have had to use a fair bit of filler over the planks in places to get the hull form right (this is my first attempt remember). The filler I chose for its ease of sanding and similar hardness to balsa is PAL contract filler, interior & exterior.

I would like to coat the hull with a strengthening membrane but am put off at the price of fibreglass cloth and resin. I have heard of people using tissue and dope (I assume it is paper tissue). Can anyone tell me of a low cost method that will put a bit more strength and durability into my hull? I would apreciate any helpful tips on how to apply the coating as well.

Regards.

David. 

Thread: AM verses FM Transmitters?
20/12/2008 08:22:00

Could some kind person please advise me the pros and cons of AM and FM transmitters for use on fast electric and scale model electric boats? I was given some old 27Mhz AM recievers and a transmitter to put in a fast electric boat I am fitting out and I have just discovered that the transmitter is dead. I need to at least buy an AM transmitter but am wondering if I would be better to buy an FM transmitter and reciever instead.

Regards.

David.

Thread: Transmitter crystals?
20/12/2008 08:06:00
Hi I am looking for a 2nd hand transmitter on a New Zealand 'Trade Me' site for use on a model boat and I have noticed a few 4 and 6 chanel transmitters from e-sky helicopters at a resonable price. They are 35Mhz can I simply put a 27Mhz crystal in them and use them for my model boat?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor