By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pierre

Here is a list of all the postings Pierre has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: servo traval
08/12/2009 18:52:28
Hi Robert
EGRET is a plan published by Model Boats about 10 years ago, plus or minus a couple of years - I'm not sure of the exact date. I'm sure a search of the archives would bring up something.
It was a plan of a  Rhine river pusher tug with an adjustable wheelhouse - designed to cope with low bridges I guess.  If I recall correctly the plan was fairly simple, designed to be built in styrene, basically a floating box, though the wheelhouse mechanism was quite ingenious.   I know I have the plan and the article somewhere in my impeccable (?) filing cabinet, so if you're really desperate, I could dig out the exact year or even send you the plan.
Hope this helps
Pierre
Thread: Burnout
21/11/2009 09:00:09
Thanks to all who answered this thread  - I found a lot to ponder about
.Bob, Ian, Tony, Paul and Colin, you all had some points which I need to think carefully about  - I think my life at the moment is a little chaotic, I need to simplify!
Thanks again
Pierre
20/11/2009 08:05:00
I have 2 half finished models staring accusingly at me in my workshop - I haven't been near them for weeks. My soul quails when I think how much work needs to be done to complete them!  
i enter my workshop full of good intentions,  then something more urgent crops up and I wander out again, nothing having been achieved.  I'm sure many of the members here have suffered from the same thing at one time or another.  How did you recover from burnout?  What tricks, if any, or is it just a matter of letting time run it's course?
Despondent Pierre
Thread: Model Boats Magazine
09/11/2009 19:57:45
I subscribe to both magazines - they're both excellent, with  articles of interest in both publications.  A point mentioned by Mr. Milbourn regarding MB  -  they seem to concentrate on scale electric models.  Fine, but that's not all I'm interested in -  MMI has a greater range of interests for me - sailing, international, power, ic, tech, etc.  Not living in GB I'm also not terribly interested in club meetings and reviews which are of limited interest to overseas readers.
The OMRA section seems to consist of a series of fairly similar photos of fairly similar boats and must appeal to a limited readership.
I do love Keith Juliers articles plus the incomparable Glynn Guest!
This is a personal opinion - as I said I subscribe to both magazines and will continue to do so.  I am just a bit more excited when MMI lands in my postbox!

Please no flames - I really am not interested in defending my preferences - they're mine and mine only!
 Pierre
Thread: Slo mo Shun
15/10/2009 14:52:49
ffice:smarttags" name="City">ffice:smarttags" name="place">

Hi Bob

Congratulations on an outstanding build  -  I look forward to seeing the completed model and  a report on how it runs!

I haven't checked in to this forum for a while so the points I'm about to mention might have been raised already  - if so excuse the repetition.

My Slo Mo Shun is much smaller, length overall 800mm. I found an old plan on the  internet and also used the Model Boat article as inspiration for the build.  I use a Graupner  Speed 700 motor with two 9.6 V Nicad packs in parallel. Propeller is a 45mm two blade Graupner. ESC is a 45A forward only, designed for model aircraft - very small and light.

Initial trials weren't very encouraging. Using the Model Boat article I had positioned the propeller about 5 mm behind the transom. This produced a huge amount of cavitation and no forward motion (much to the amusement of my fellow club members!)  Back to the drawing board and a new longer propshaft, with the propeller projecting about 2  inches behind the transom. This produced a dramatic improvement and the boat came onto the plane almost instantly.

The boat of course is designed to go fast in a straight line and it shows in the model!  You're going to need a large lake  - turning circle is to put it mildly, generous.  I later improved this with a larger, deeper spade rudder .  I also wondered if having the rudder in a central position, instead of offset, might not improve matters.  Also a vague thought, not acted upon yet about linking the "air rudder" with the rudder servo. Full rudder turns weren’t possible unless using reduced throttle, which resulted in the boat falling off the plane and behaving in a more stable manner.

Ballast was critical, both fore and aft and athwartships.  Too much weight aft and it didn’t rise onto the plane, too much forward and it was too sensitive to every little ripple on the water. The rotational torque of the prop produced a list running at full throttle, corrected with ballast in the higher sponson.  A better method, I think would be a small, vertical trim tab on the lower sponson.

Anyway, I had fun setting it up and the roostertail it produced when running at full bore made it all worth while!  Am now thinking of brushless motors and LiPo batteries, exchequer willing!

Hope this was constructive.

lace w:st="on">Pierrelace>

Thread: Old windlass
05/08/2009 11:18:47
I agree with Ashley - that is a windsock - you can see it is rigged exactly in line with the apparent wind over the deck, as shown by the smoke.
As a matter of interest, as an apprentice in the 70s carrying a cargo of copra from Lourenco Marques to Bremen, we still used these to reduce temperatures in the holds - the cargo was prone to spontaneous combustion above a certain temperature.
Pierre
Thread: Dhow Construction Blog
23/04/2009 18:31:27
Hi Keith
Dhow is starting to take shape and looking good!
Keep up the good work!

I've lost interest in this site (too many old Mother Grundies) but found this reference to a zebec which you might find interesting :
http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/gallery/album280

I'll pop in occasionally to see the progress of the dhow!
Best regards
Pierre
Thread: Warships
17/03/2009 11:28:45
To all those I've offended (unintentionally) - I apologise, unreservedly. It was never my intention to insult or embarass anyone!
Regards to all on this list
Pierre
Elvis has left this building!!
Thread: Rudders
16/03/2009 16:06:56
Very interesting topic - I tend to agree with Hal - full size rules don't necessarily apply to models.  
 Just as a matter of interest, for Glynn, years ago I worked on two twin screw conventional tugs. The one had twin rudders, each  one directly behind the props, the second one had a single rudder, situated between the props. The difference in handling was quite marked - the second one was far less manoeuverable, turning circle was far larger and it was almost impossible to "crab" the tug sideways by using opposing propellers and opposing rudder.
I'll watch this space with interest!
Cheers - Pierre
16/03/2009 11:17:08
Good God, lighten up please, this originally started as a humorous post - I originally asked why people found warships interesting - still haven't had an intelligent reply!
Because I don't find them interesting doesn't mean I don't admire the people who build them!
Personally, I don't give a c**p what you build, I'm only interested in what build!
ARH - get a sense of humour (and a spell checker)
Pierre
Thread: Selling my collection of model boats
15/03/2009 21:15:26
Paul - if I was living in the UK I would be first in line - your models are fabulous!
Hope everything goes well with you.
Cheers - Pierre
15/03/2009 13:02:09
Hi ARH
Had a look at your albums - very impressive!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your models, North Carolina, Moffet Build and Bryony, all warships, all grey, pointy  and similar!
As for building a Slo-Mo-Shun, why not try? - get out of your comfort zone of warships!
Cheers - Pierre
Thread: The Rise & Fall of A Young RTR
14/03/2009 09:22:26
David
A very entertaining and informative post - I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned something as well!
I'm not as brave as you and am not going to share my various disasters!!
Cheers - Pierre
Thread: Dhow Design and Scratch Construction
14/03/2009 09:13:57
Hello Keith
I've just remembered I have an old plan from Model Maker Plans Service for a Barbary Pirate Xebec called Sea Hawk. It comes with an eight page booklet by the builder (R.J. Collins).  Although he built it as a static model  the booklet is full of useful info about colour schemes, rigging details etc. Although a xebec is not exactly a dhow there are many similarities - its a fast, armoured dhow  basically.
If you like I could post you the plan if you supply me wwith your postal address. As I've had this plan since the seventies, I know I'm not going to use it, and it would be nice to think it went to a good home!
Cheers - Pierre
12/03/2009 18:36:24
Keith
I can only echo david and paul - great subject for a model. I'm always looking for something unusual and a dhow certainly qualifies!  Have tentatively started researching outrigger canoes and proas. I've always been fascinated by the fact that when these tack. the stern becomes the bow!
Would love to see any pictures or photos of your build!
Pierre

Thread: message box
11/03/2009 18:04:15
Maybe the use of too many emoticons ?
Pierre
Thread: How many people still scratch build?
10/03/2009 21:11:26
Have to agree with Colin about Bob's "necessary" list.  That's not an essential list , rather a nice-to-have list.  You can make beautiful models with the minimum of tools, as I did when I was still at sea. The only thing I agree with is the last item, - an understanding spouse/partner!
Pierre
Thread: Running in new electric motor
10/03/2009 09:16:02
Hi Ashley
OK, your answers a to d make perfect sense 

Thanks to HS93 - I vaguely remember reading this somewhere, but couldn't remeber the details - hence the post. As even bog standard motors cost a fortune here in SA its worth getting every bit of use out of them!
 Cheers - Pierre
09/03/2009 21:02:18
Thanks Ashley
I've always wondered why people who don't know the answer bother answering?
Pierre
Thread: How many people still scratch build?
09/03/2009 18:12:25
I asked roughly the same question in a thread titled "Quo Vadis" a while ago - got about the same answers too!

quoting Rick  "In fact, I derive far more satisfaction from the research and problem-solving that goes into a model, rather than seeing it perform on the water." That, and actually bujilding it are what does it for me. After it's afloat and the problems solved, it's almost an anticlimax.
Pierre
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor