By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Glasgow boat clubs
29/01/2018 21:33:45

I am afraid Queens Park is not really a club any more... it is only 1 person....

there are clubs at Richmond Park, elder Park and Knightswood park sailing most sundays

Roukenglen is still on the go but it sails on a saturday.

If you wish more information let me know.. I am a member of Glasgow Richmond.....

Thread: Hannants
07/01/2017 22:22:48

Hannants are a big well known plastic model company. I have used them several times without any issues

Thread: NEO for Iwata Airbrush
10/12/2016 00:13:28

Hi all,

Firstly my apologies I won this airbrush and needed to go and remember how to use them.....

I had promised to let people know how I get on with it.

I am building (SLOWLY) a Mountfleet Sir Lancelot and decided that it needed to get some "abuse" after some research I found that they were not just painted basic grey (yawn) but in western approaches schemes. I also decided to weather it as well, this was it time to get the airbrush out and try it.

Here are some of the pictures of the process so far:img_0277.jpgimg_0282.jpg

img_0319.jpgimg_0325.jpgimg_0457.jpgimg_0460.jpg

img_0462.jpg

after I primed the hull I put shading in place around the plates on the hull and also the deck, next I painted the white base coat, afterwards some of the black shading was repainted and then the blue camouflage and under hull red applied. using the shading method I applied it to the deck and used either green or grey for the decks.

the Airbrush done really well and was easy to use, the only thing was this is a big model so preparation before hand of a good size jar of paint thinned and ready to top up the cup as you go is a must but its not a problem if you think ahead.

So thanks to Model Boats and the Airbrush Company for the competition and the Airbrush!

Colin

Thread: tirpitz
11/10/2015 20:24:33

Here is a link to a great site on the tirpitz

It details all the paint schemes...

**LINK**

Thread: Auction of Model Boats
27/11/2014 00:05:00

The ships will probably be brass not copper, they build all the ships in brass and then run tests on them for radar signatures, magnetic interference all those kind of things.

They still make them to this day if you look here

http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1361375923

You can see some of the brass ships being built for testing

Thread: Bob and Pauls BIG Haydock event
20/08/2014 15:18:29

If it's your first time at this show you will enjoy it.

we ( Scottish model warship assoc) are attending again and looking forward to it

were upstairs so if you passing say hello

Thread: NEO for Iwata Airbrush
23/06/2014 22:26:36
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 23/06/2014 18:40:18:

You've got to learn how to use it now, big fellah. wink

DM

Now to go from painting with a bog brush to and airbrush....

scary thought surprise

23/06/2014 17:22:39
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 22/06/2014 22:42:37:

Not Colin M? Gingyer?? There's no justice in the world!

Well done, you swine!

Dave M

The one and only! Davesmiley

I was shocked when I got a message from Mr bishop informing me I had won!

thanks to model boats for the competition

Thread: R/C for Submarines
03/05/2014 07:59:08

40MHz is what the frequency of your radio needs to be

or 27mhz but most people use 40mhz

2.4Ghz will just bounce back off the water I am afraid

As for sound control I have never heard of it but that's not to say

it can't be done

colin

Thread: newbie from scotland
26/03/2014 21:00:47

Hi stevie,

a where in Scotland are you?

some of the members of Glasgow Richmond have built these models

Thread: German coastal craft
01/10/2013 00:36:00

This guy is pretty good

**LINK**

Thread: Removing surplus undried epoxy
15/09/2013 12:12:34

I have NOT tried this yet,

but read that white vinegar will wipe off excess epoxy.

it was in an article of someone epoxying brass photo etch deck to a GRP moulding

i have to do the same build and was going to give it a go but I still have a while before I am at that stage

Thread: Stabilisers on Model Boats
18/04/2011 23:11:25
David,
Have you put your Clyde in the water yet I have got one also and it weighs a ton and I don't think it will need to have working stabilzers to keep it up right.

The stabilzers were only fitted to the real one for working with helicopters in the south atlantic. The other river class don't have any fitted and are very stable

Thread: San Demetrio
15/01/2011 00:05:55
Hi Norm
The Boat was built by Blythswood Shipbuilders,
they ended up being Yarrows Shipbuilders and a part of UCS
when UCS was broken up Yarrows became a seperate shipbuilder again.

most of the companies that went into UCS drawings ended up in 1 of 3 places
here is a web link to guide you http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/shipbuilding.asp
of where to look

As you can see Blythswood and Yarrows are not listed but Yarrows are now a part of Bae Systems and you would be very lucky if they still had the drawings as they were binning a LOT of old drawings when I worked there I got some but no ships like what you are looking for

Colin
14/01/2011 23:50:37
you say THE archive in glasgow where did you look?
Thread: 1/76 scale calmac MV Glen Sannox
19/11/2010 23:04:25
interesting build founs this picture online
hope it helps

Thread: Decals for ship flight decks
14/07/2010 00:14:12
I went and got trimline tape and carefuly put this down
or you can get the sheets of the stuff the trim line tape
is made of for aircraft then cut out  circle
Thread: Glasgow Model Warship and Lifeboat Display Team Annual Scottish Navy Days / Start of Season Show
12/07/2010 16:50:00
Higgie still has the hull neil
I tripped over it last night
Thread: National Warship Weekend 2010
11/07/2010 21:31:51
Hi All
I am glad you enjoyed yourselfs and are coming back again

the model in the picture is the mountfleet models Osprey kit
and a superb model
18/06/2010 17:16:36
only a few weeks more until the show Confused
I fear there will be some new warships on the water coming out of the workshops for the first time and more people entering the formation sailing comp.

the comp is for 3 boats but remember if you dont have a team we always manage to make new teams on the day and there is plenty of space to practice Wink
hope to see you there

Colin

Edited By Colin Miller on 18/06/2010 17:17:22

Edited By Colin Miller on 18/06/2010 17:17:35

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
PremierJuly 2019
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor