By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Ferries
24/07/2021 08:38:23

I hope they get to sea quicker than the 2 new LNG Calmac ferries

which are turning into an utter disaster.

One thing that’s been highlighted for these ferries due to be used on the Clyde

the LNG gas is having to be shipped from Scandinavia or Spain using vessels/vehicles powered by diesel

so how much greener are they really?

Thread: First Models
18/07/2021 10:04:55

My first model boat was the Caldercraft Vigilant police launch, which my grandfather helped me build.

Thread: Plans
08/06/2021 15:50:42

Which landing craft are you thinking of I may have some I can send you.

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
01/06/2021 21:05:48
Posted by ashley needham on 01/06/2021 18:42:11:

Nice pictures everyone. Colin, whats the upside down bulbous bow and three thrusters thing ????

Ashley

it I was a test tank bow of HMS Challenger the navy’s old diving support ship.
the club decided to use it as a wreck in the pond.
if you built the full model it would of been about 24’ long.

01/06/2021 12:56:07

32d6d454-a18f-49ba-8ad0-6b9244fe6b33.jpegb8dbb4aa-4bd1-44ca-a34b-48232f74b3cd.jpegcc0be830-d440-45d9-8181-ee1442d648fa.jpegLast week I managed to finally get my lockdown build in the water.
I am pretty happy with the results a couple of minor niggles to remedy.

Edited By Colin Miller on 01/06/2021 12:56:46

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
06/03/2021 07:26:33

I am speechless after reading this.
I always enjoyed having a laugh with Dave when I saw him at the shows.

my thoughts and condolences to liz and the family

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
05/01/2021 19:34:21

Thanks everyone for the kind comments,

Colin family friends of my wife have a small fishing boat similar to the one you are building for catching catfish in Hungary. I have always wondered about doing a liner/cargo vessel like that but never really took the plunge

Tim, I like the small tug something different than the usual ones you see and you can make it your own too by adding your own ideas

Ray, Lysanders are great are you going to get it up or just static?

Richard, a very nice layout there do you take it anywhere or is it just for yourself?

04/01/2021 23:51:08

I have been working on my US Coastguard Cutter Bertholf

it’s getting almost complete not long until it’s done and the next one is on the bench

fbd2f53c-8cae-4432-b629-e59ad600bf4f.jpeg

96eb69b8-f84e-49c5-a9ef-2f54f84cec21.jpeg

1f1ec804-ffb7-4e9e-951f-495e094a8d7d.jpeg

0ab98bf1-0bd4-4c7e-9dd3-b474b655914f.jpeg

Thread: Model Boats December 2020/January 2021
31/12/2020 17:17:14

Colin, thanks for you info..

my magazine actually arrived this morning

Edited By Colin Miller on 31/12/2020 17:18:03

10/12/2020 15:35:42
Posted by redpmg on 10/12/2020 07:25:09:

You have no idea what poor delivery is - try waiting nearly 4 months for an issue . Was lucky enough to receive Aug & Sep issues together last week . May issue still not arrived ................

Makes me laugh when I see your complaints.

Thanks for your input, to clarify my model boat magazine arrival isn’t top of the list of my priorities but it’s a helpful indicator into what is happening to our mail.
I was nearly taken to court due to an admin error at the council and issues relating to my council tax.
the problem would of quickly been sorted IF Royal Mail delivered the letter, it eventually arrived along with a final notice 2months after being sent 5 miles !
I don’t live in the middle of no where, I’m on the outskirts of a major city and myself and about 2000 other households are being affected the same way... but hey it’s covid stopping the postman getting the 2 miles from the main sorting office regularly to where we stay since May. It’s also not allowed for us to collect as we don’t have a “you were out” card so they won’t assist us.

you can hopefully understand why I wanted to know about when the magazine was sent.

08/12/2020 22:10:11

Thanks Colin,

I just wanted to double check, I can understand the issues the magazine is facing at this time and gave no complaints against them.

unfortunately our postal service has gotten so bad our local MSP and councillors have been demanding action from Royal Mail.

thanks though for the help

08/12/2020 20:12:12

Has all the uk subscribers on here received their magazine??

mine has not arrived, and I know the Royal Mail are playing let’s blame “covid” here

before I raise another complaint with them I just want to check.

Thread: Glasgow boat clubs
29/01/2018 21:33:45

I am afraid Queens Park is not really a club any more... it is only 1 person....

there are clubs at Richmond Park, elder Park and Knightswood park sailing most sundays

Roukenglen is still on the go but it sails on a saturday.

If you wish more information let me know.. I am a member of Glasgow Richmond.....

Thread: Hannants
07/01/2017 22:22:48

Hannants are a big well known plastic model company. I have used them several times without any issues

Thread: NEO for Iwata Airbrush
10/12/2016 00:13:28

Hi all,

Firstly my apologies I won this airbrush and needed to go and remember how to use them.....

I had promised to let people know how I get on with it.

I am building (SLOWLY) a Mountfleet Sir Lancelot and decided that it needed to get some "abuse" after some research I found that they were not just painted basic grey (yawn) but in western approaches schemes. I also decided to weather it as well, this was it time to get the airbrush out and try it.

Here are some of the pictures of the process so far:img_0277.jpgimg_0282.jpg

img_0319.jpgimg_0325.jpgimg_0457.jpgimg_0460.jpg

img_0462.jpg

after I primed the hull I put shading in place around the plates on the hull and also the deck, next I painted the white base coat, afterwards some of the black shading was repainted and then the blue camouflage and under hull red applied. using the shading method I applied it to the deck and used either green or grey for the decks.

the Airbrush done really well and was easy to use, the only thing was this is a big model so preparation before hand of a good size jar of paint thinned and ready to top up the cup as you go is a must but its not a problem if you think ahead.

So thanks to Model Boats and the Airbrush Company for the competition and the Airbrush!

Colin

Thread: tirpitz
11/10/2015 20:24:33

Here is a link to a great site on the tirpitz

It details all the paint schemes...

**LINK**

Thread: Auction of Model Boats
27/11/2014 00:05:00

The ships will probably be brass not copper, they build all the ships in brass and then run tests on them for radar signatures, magnetic interference all those kind of things.

They still make them to this day if you look here

http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1361375923

You can see some of the brass ships being built for testing

Thread: Bob and Pauls BIG Haydock event
20/08/2014 15:18:29

If it's your first time at this show you will enjoy it.

we ( Scottish model warship assoc) are attending again and looking forward to it

were upstairs so if you passing say hello

Thread: NEO for Iwata Airbrush
23/06/2014 22:26:36
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 23/06/2014 18:40:18:

You've got to learn how to use it now, big fellah. wink

DM

Now to go from painting with a bog brush to and airbrush....

scary thought surprise

23/06/2014 17:22:39
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 22/06/2014 22:42:37:

Not Colin M? Gingyer?? There's no justice in the world!

Well done, you swine!

Dave M

The one and only! Davesmiley

I was shocked when I got a message from Mr bishop informing me I had won!

thanks to model boats for the competition

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor