By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tomarack

Here is a list of all the postings tomarack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
12/06/2021 15:22:32

Hi Gents,

I put several pictures of Giralda to my album here in MB

> https://www.modelboats.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=55844

Plan was published in the book >A handbook of Sailing barges < by F.S,Cooper and John Chancellor

together with SB Kathleen plan. 

Since there were no details on the Giralda plan, I chose the sb Champion class plan from H. Chapelle for my model.
This barge is very similar to the Giralda.

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 12/06/2021 15:38:48

Edited By tomarack on 12/06/2021 15:54:14

02/06/2021 17:47:10

Hi,

great idea, I have a slightly curved plywood table, which I can't straighten, I'll try as soon as possible !!!.

Tom

13/05/2021 17:11:19

Hi Ray,

Maybe I'm wrong, the results on the water will be decisive. It is a pity that the number of active modelers is decreasing .. it is similar in our country as well.
It is also a pity that Marine Modeling International has stopped publishing. But what I miss the most is the> modelbarge .info <website run by Richard Chesney. Many interesting posts and photos have been lost (many of them also from Kim Holland). The AMBO link on FB is a replacement, it works in terms of posts almost immediately, but it is more or less a problem with older posts. On the other hand, a number of new modellers can be seen, which can be gratifying. Unfortunately, the number of older modelers is declining..
Many new modelers are bothered by the great ignorance of the models they are starting to build. Well ... at least they're not afraid to ask ...

That is why I am happy to return to these pages here, and I can easily find a topic that we solved together..

Greetings

Tom

12/05/2021 17:50:34

Hi Tim,

I

Edited By tomarack on 12/05/2021 17:51:37

12/05/2021 17:50:31

Hi Tim,

I have tested (unintentionally) on the first voyage with my Capricorn model) that the leeboards on the model have virtually no effect on the model's drift.the model was practically uncontrollable (fortunately I have an electric motor in the model)

As you mention chines, the models have a really small draft, and there are very few cases where they sail with a greater incline.

My friend Kim Holland once wrote to me that in the last AMBO races (about 2 years ago) there was also a model without a fin. In any case, he could not match the models with the fin. He also wrote that if this trend persists and there are more models without a keel, then a new class should be considered.

It seems to me that your fin keel is something in between.
The fact is that Kim Holland has a similar narrow keel with the lightest lead bulb on her Lady Daphne model.
After all ... it's your choice

Greeetings Tom

22/03/2021 17:11:32

Hi gents,

Here are links to photos of my models of Thames sailing barges . I think it's especially for John to see how I progress built both models, as well as the internal arrangement of the receiver, servo and motor.

https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/TSB_Capricorn/

https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Dinghy_Capricorn/

https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Gusty_Cat/

I also have a lot of these photos on albums here, on Modelboats.

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 22/03/2021 17:13:21

20/03/2021 19:36:30

img266.jpg

Vangs rig for RC,I use the first design (the sheets are divided behind the servo like  Y , at the top of the sprite is a pulley or wire eye)

Edited By tomarack on 20/03/2021 19:38:27

Edited By tomarack on 20/03/2021 19:43:53

20/03/2021 14:16:19

img269p.jpg

20/03/2021 14:01:38

22854475-blocks-and-rigging-at-the-old-sailboat-close-up.jpg

Edited By tomarack on 20/03/2021 14:23:39

20/03/2021 14:01:36

thames barge rigging diagram2.jpg

20/03/2021 14:01:00

str54.jpeg

19/03/2021 13:31:27

Hi Ray,

¨here is this song above mentioned - They all went to Mexico..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUzRcO3c1Ak

I'm slowly continuing with a model called Red Dwarf - when I was making an album on Rajče, nothing better occurred to me in a hurry

Look here please ..=> https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/

This also applies to others who are interested in looking

Scotland the Brave => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnG1oUkWBa8

To John> I sent you two links from my Dropbox,I do hope it will be ok.

greetings

Tom

11/02/2021 14:05:15

img_3097.jpgHi Ray

We also have a very real winter with snow, and we expect frosts around - 20 ° C .

We haven't been used to such a winter in recent years.

Here are currently a number of new posts on FB. Many modelers are no longer looking for topics on traditional forums, and go straight to Facebook.
I'm currently trying to finish the wreck of a small electric motor boat I got from an acquaintance.
I'm thinking of a suitable superstructure to make. I had to buy a new ESC and servos.

Spring is perhaps behind the door ..although Punxsutawney Phil foretold a longer winter..

Mexico . It's a country ballad where everyone went to Mexico, the sheriff only catches the last man who sings it ..

The condition here on our chat reminded me a little of this song

Greetings

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 11/02/2021 14:06:24

10/02/2021 12:00:16

Hi..

it seems to me that > they all went to Mexico ....as it is in one song..or on FB ...sad

all the best

Tom

11/10/2020 14:47:48

Hi,

I did not expect such a design possibility,despite having at home a few books about tsb.

Tom

29/09/2020 23:03:01

Long yard as it is, next to it is tsb Gusty Cat

Edited By tomarack on 29/09/2020 23:07:07

29/09/2020 23:02:20

Edited By tomarack on 29/09/2020 23:08:50

29/09/2020 22:57:16

Hi all,

this is my version making yard for Caprice gundalow -90 cm long((cca 35" , 1,8 cm dia. In the middle of the yard is a spruce beam 10x10 mm, on the sides are glued beams 5x5 mm. One end is fixed in the jaw of the electric drill, the other end in the auxiliary jaw of the old drill. I had to grind both ends of the yard so that I could clamp them in the jaws of the ( electric) drills.
For machining, I first used a coarse rasp, then continued with coarse sandpaper nr 60,glued to a plywood strip. I finished gradually with finer sandpaper. The narrower end should have a smaller diameter (6 mm). When grinding, however, the boom vibrated a lot, so I preferred to finish grinding at a diameter of 8 mm
As the boom is flexible, I had to support it in the middle when sanding (I used an old leather glove). I then soaked the whole and soaked it in diluted epoxy..

greetings

Tom

Caprice gundalow

Edited By tomarack on 29/09/2020 22:58:08

11/08/2020 18:03:45

Nice boat!!

11/08/2020 16:08:02

Hi Ray,

thanks for info about Ivor, his pages were very helpful.

When I wrote to Ivor about my first model of a barge (Capricorn) in the spring of 2014, he wrote to me in an e-mail that he was 86 years old and that he wanted to transfer his original site to "Ivorbittle.com". This new site ceased to function probably in the spring of this year ...

greetings

Tom

let me put here his post scriptum from the letter (04.16.2014)

Post script. I think that the evolution of barge racing was good for
full sized barges but a mixed blessing for modellers. The full sized
barge racing produced faster hulls at the expense of load carrying but
it led to rapid development of the rig and how the barge was handled.
The legacy for those modellers who want to race barges is that, if you
want to win, you make models of the few boats like Geralda. In fact,
now you have to design your own barge if you want to win and that is
contrary to the whole concept of building and racing scale barges.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor