By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gerald Gardiner

Here is a list of all the postings Gerald Gardiner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Identification of thread form
01/11/2013 13:43:02

I don't know about Saito, but some Japanese Metric is different from the rest of the worlds Metric.

Thread: Arnot V Twin
30/10/2012 21:52:39

Although the original articles were in Model Boats Magazine, the plans are available from Marine Modelling International. https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1480 ,

They are also referred to in Scale Model Steamboats by Phillip Vaughan Williams.

Regards,

Gerald.

Thread: steam plant drawings
01/12/2010 16:08:10
Hi Graham,
There are other plans available on the net, but I didn't think it would be appropriate to post on here as this site is sponsored by Model Boats and they do have many fine plans.
Regards,
Gerald.
28/11/2010 22:07:13
Have you looked in the myhobbystore plans section?
Thread: Stuart engines
19/11/2010 02:44:51
The twin come as ether a compound or a twin, I haven't built any of them yet ( I do have a D10 set aging), but I would recomend the Stuart Oscillator or the Stuart Twin Oscillator as a start. PM Research also makes some good beginner kits.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: Getting steamed up again
19/11/2010 02:32:02
Hi Brian,
Yes it is.
Gerald.
Thread: Stuart engines
17/11/2010 15:28:08
The difference is the bore and stroke.
D10
Height
6 Inches.
Flywheel Diameter 3 Inches Diameter.
Bore 3/4 Inch Diameter.
Stroke 3/4 Inch.
Twin Launch Engine
Height
5 1/2 Inches.
Discwheel Diameter
1 3/4 Inch.
Cylinder Bore
1 Inch.
Cylinder Stroke
7/8 Inch.

I wish they would come out with a 1/2 size D10.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: Help!
22/09/2010 13:27:13
It sounds like you have the gas valve open too far. Are you using a refillable tank or a disposable one?  Does the burner work outside of the boiler?
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: Getting steamed up again
15/09/2010 14:31:29
I have just read Glynn Guest's excellent article on the Graupner Steam Engine. For those who have the equipment and skill here is a link to a similar design engine http://jpduval.free.fr/Plans_moteurs_vapeur_p1.htm  Oscillating twin cylinder engine, It is in French, but with Google translate you can manage.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: commemorative issue
18/08/2010 14:30:45
I went back into the magazine store to pick up a woodworking magazine and noticed they had sold all the copies of the commemorative issue. I asked the clerk (who for a change spoke and understood English) and he said that they had received six copies and all were sold.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: Water Pumps
11/08/2010 15:14:58
Hi Tom,
I never thought about a model fuel pump, most of the ones I had used were impeller types. I will have to check and see what the local shop has.
Regards,
Gerald.
11/08/2010 01:21:46
Any chance of some of the older steam articles being done? I think I have the one shown in the current one. Ideally I would like to see a all steam issue, but realistically I know that there just aren't enough of us steam boat nuts to make it profitable.
Regards,
Gerald. 
09/08/2010 15:41:48
Posted by Telstar on 29/07/2010 22:33:56:
Hi Brian  
To give positive displacement for an electric pump you need something like a 'spur gear' pump, these give a constant flow, and can reach very high pressure.   A single spur gear pump is often used on car engins as the oil pump, mechanically driven from the camshaft 
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,
Do you know if any one has used a small Gear Pump for a boiler feed pump?
Years back I worked with Hydraulic ones, but never thought of using one as a feed pump. I wonder if you could run the housing close enough to the gears or if you would have to make pressure plates?
Regards,
Gerald.
09/08/2010 15:21:24
Thanks Colin,
That's what I had suspected had happened. Even without Basil's piece I have enjoyed it. Any chance of posting the piece here?
Regards,
Gerald.
09/08/2010 02:13:14
I just found a copy at a local magazine store. He has all the Model Boating magazines mixed in with the full size ones.
In the part for the 90s there is mentioned an article on Pop Pops, but I can't find it?
Regards,
Gerald.
26/07/2010 14:41:22
Hi Brian,
 You would have to measure the pressure output of the pump to see if it is higher than your boiler pressure. Most windshield washer pumps for cars are impeller type, which provides high flow and low pressure. You need to use a positive displacement pump.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: Glycol in Boiler
05/07/2010 14:44:40

As the starter of this thread I feel that I should sum up my feelings on it.>>

I think I will NOT be adding it to my boiler as when running a public demonstrations I always have someone who wants to smell the steam.>>

I had posted originally as I wondered about ill effects with using Glycol. I have not experimented with it and probably won't. As Paul notes in his post >>

"Toxicology Harmful if swallowed. May be harmful if inhaled or in contact with the skin. Skin and respiratory irritant. Severe eye irritant. Typical OEL 10 - 25 ppm. Reproductive hazard. ">>

If I operated my models privately and did not exhibit them at shows or venues where the Public was involved I might try using Glycol. Having a wife and two children who are asthmatic I know how little irritant it can take to trigger an attack. With this in mind and the frequent occurrence of young children (and some not so young) wanting to smell the steam, I feel the trace of steam oil is the only thing other than water vapour that I can expose them to.>>

Regards,>>

Gerald.>>

Thread: HELP PLEASE!!!
03/01/2010 23:52:25
Hi Neil,
Check to make sure you have the fuel valve off, butane can cause headaches
03/01/2010 15:07:00
Hi Neil,
As I said in my Paddleducks reply, I have to clean the jets on my burner every once in a while. I use a small wire or blow air backwards through it.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thread: Digital Archive Back Issues
21/12/2009 14:45:41
I was hopeful that they would put some of the earlier years in digital.
Regards,
Gerald.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor