By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Fitness

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Fitness has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dave Wooley
11/05/2015 23:35:07

I haven't seen anything from Dave Wooley for quite a while, does anyone know why? I miss his "Seen on my Afternoon Walk" photos and commentary.

Peter.

Thread: Seen on my afternoon walk
03/04/2015 03:41:16

I'm still travelling in the wilds of NSW and the internet is somewhat patch, so I haven't seen the replies until now. Yes Dave, she certainly is ECO, but that's all the rage now, none of this dirty wood or coal fired boiler stufflaugh

Bob, she may look top heavy, but she is very wide beamed, and the shallow draught is dictated by the depth of the river.

The dazzle scheme is well named, it certainly does dazzle, but I do think it looks rather garish. However, one could not claim that they didn't see her.

Peter.

30/03/2015 04:13:14

What a great collection of photos Dave.

We are in our caravan at present and have been in outback Queensland and NSW and actually saw one boat, we even went for a short cruise in her on the mighty Darling River. It is the PV Jandra, a modern (2001) replica of the original Jandra which was built in the late 19th century, and was used on the Darling carrying wool. The original was steam powered, but the replica has a Deutz diesel driving a generator which supplies power to an electric motor on each paddle.

Peter.

45 pv jandra, bourke.jpg57 pv jandra.jpg56 pv jandra.jpg

Thread: Propellor shaft lubrication
06/03/2015 21:02:09

As Ashley pointed out, this subject has been debated on numerous occasions, and agreement has never been reached. Speaking personally, I use outboard motor grease with excellent results - it's waterproof and does not emulsify, at least, not in my experience. Ashley prefers not to use grease, and who am I to argue with his decision? As in many things it boils down to personal preference, and as such there is no definitive answer.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Fitness on 06/03/2015 21:02:45

Thread: John Tyler
23/01/2015 22:23:52

One of our club members, Michael Marks, built the Hawaiian Pilot using the plastic model as a reference. It was scaled up considerably, as can be seen from the photo, and sails beautifully.

Peter.

hawaiian pilot.jpg

Thread: Topsail Schooner Lochranza Castle
23/01/2015 22:09:46

Another exquisite model Bob. The sea effects are, as usual, outstanding.

Peter.

Thread: Vintage Gentleman's Cruiser
18/01/2015 22:49:28

Bob, if it makes you feel any better the temperature here has been in the low to mid 30s Celsius, but the humidity has been around 80%smile d. Luckily we are currently at the seaside in our caravan, and it's only 100 metres to the water, which we have been in frequently. Unfortunately we have to go back home on Thursdaysad

I am really enjoying your build, and the innovations therein. The Abell drives look marvellous, and the wheels are very inventive. I'll be interested to hear how it all works out when the big launching day arrives.

Peter.

18/01/2015 03:34:11

That lino looks great Bob, I'm impressed. Is that what's called "thinking outside the box"?laugh

Peter.

24/12/2014 23:07:06

Thank you Bob, Dave and others. Wind burn? Now that's something I don't suffer from - sunburn, mosquito and sand fly bites? Possibly, but no wind burn. Mind you, we have to watch out for poisonous spiders and snakes, sharks, crocodiles and marine stingerssurprise. One thing I have found in my long life is that sharks etc can't get you if you stay on dry landlaugh, and there are no crocodiles within 600 km of where I live.

Peter.

24/12/2014 21:23:14

My goodness, Dave, that is really quite choppysurprise Very graphic photos, well done.

Merry Christmas from a warm and sunny Australia.

Peter.

Thread: A question for the electronics experts
22/12/2014 21:43:23

I suppose what separates people like Branson and Dyson from we plebs is the ability to see an opportunity and act on it. Branson saw the worth of Tubular Bells when no one else could, and Dyson saw the possibilities of the cyclone in vacuum cleaners. They both built empires on their foresight and became very rich men. I'm still struggling with the possibility of making my car run on fresh air, with out any success so farsad

Peter.

Thread: Model Boat Mayhem Forum
22/12/2014 21:32:15

Dave, I noticed a number of posts on Mayhem this morning (Australian time) commenting on drop outs. I have had no problems at all, but the time difference would probably account for that. Martin mentioned some problems with the hosting company's server, which now seem to have been resolved.

Peter.

08/12/2014 21:36:01

A very dramatic photo Dave, so I'm guessing you didn't go for a swim? smile o

Peter.

Thread: Vintage Gentleman's Cruiser
05/12/2014 21:29:54

Thank you for the Christmas wishes, Bob, the same to you and yours. I look forward to the ongoing story of the VGC.

Peter.

04/12/2014 21:50:48

I agree Paul, it looks absolutely magnificent.

Peter.

03/12/2014 22:39:08

Dave, I don't want to hijack your thread, but my afternoon walks are a little different to yours. I usually walk to the back of our farm, the return journey takes about an hour. My walking companion is a young lady called Nat, my son's 4 year old Australian Blue Heeler cattle dog, who loves swimming in the creek. Instead of ships I see cattle and wild life, such as koalas and the occasional wallaby. I even had a recent encounter with an Eastern Brown Snake, one of the deadliest in the world. It struck at me, but it was more of a warning than a serious attempt to bite me. Needless to say, I heeded the warning smiley

Peter.

06 farm.jpg

09 farm.jpg

15 nat in creek.jpg

30 koala and baby.jpg

Edited By Peter Fitness on 03/12/2014 22:41:05

03/12/2014 22:18:56

Great low light shots Dave, very effective.

Peter.

30/11/2014 21:26:58

Wonderful photos Dave, you are certainly spoilt for choice. It must be hard to concentrate on your walk with all that maritime activity aroundsmiley

Peter.

Edited By Peter Fitness on 30/11/2014 21:27:48

11/11/2014 21:46:48

You're certainly spoilt for choice Dave, what a great selection of vessels. The sunset shot is marvellous with the sun disappearing below the horizon between the rows of wind turbines. Living as I do, near the east coast of Australia, I don't get a chance to see the sun setting into the water.

Peter.

Thread: Incompatible battery plug.
02/11/2014 22:33:08

Like Ashley and Mattias, I use Deans connectors exclusively, and have done so for a number of years now. I have set up my motors, batteries (SLA), and ESCs using the Deans plugs, so I can interchange any of them between models without having to change polarity. Most of my ESCs are Mtroniks, and it's an easy job to remove the Tamiya connector and replace it with a Deans.

Also like Mattias, I put the female plug on batteries to prevent accidental short circuits which, while quite spectacular, are not recommended.

My soldering jig is quite reminiscent of Dave M'ssmiley

Peter.

Edited By Peter Fitness on 02/11/2014 22:36:19

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor