By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Fitness

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Fitness has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Grand Banks Cruiser build
11/08/2015 05:45:27

Hi Johan,

It's quite a while since I built my Grand Banks and no longer have the plans. However, they are still available to purchase from Traplet Publications at this address

**LINK**

It is a very nice boat, and one which I sail regularly. If you do build one I would be very interested to see photos of your progress.

Regards,

Peter.

Thread: Vintage Gentleman's Cruiser
04/08/2015 23:33:04

The witchetty grubs look great, Bob, they may be a bit chewy thoughlaugh

Peter.

Thread: Dazzle is alive and well in Liverpool
31/07/2015 00:46:44

A model of that would test your painting skills - very colourful.

Peter.

Thread: Bob and Pauls BIG Haydock event
22/07/2015 23:52:47

I have also driven from Land's End to John O' Groats, all 1407 km (or 874 miles) of it, but not in one day, it took us quite a while as we were sight seeing along the way. Distances are regarded very differently here in Australia, as opposed to the UK, and we tend to measure journeys in time rather than kilometres. Australia is a huge country, and to do a circumnavigation, by road, would involve about 20,000 km of driving, roughly the same distance as from Sydney to London by air.

Peter.

22/07/2015 00:15:48

Come on Ashley, it's not that far. On my last visit to the UK I drove from York to Eastbourne in time for lunchlaugh Mind you, here in Australia we are used to long distances. We are currently visiting our daughter in central Queensland, a lazy 1200 km drivesmiley On the other hand, the traffic is almost non-existent, although the English roads are much better than ours.

Peter.

Thread: Vintage Gentleman's Cruiser
10/07/2015 00:08:29

Bob, I've seen Holy War too, and my brother-in-law, who built the model, was invited for a footplate ride a couple of years ago. He's English from Malmesbury, Wilts, and goes back every 2 or 3 years. When my wife and I were there, Holy War was in the shed for some servicing, but sister loco, Maid Marion, was pulling the train that we rode on.

Peter.

08/07/2015 10:49:51

Amazing what will fit in a Zafira. My brother-in-law fits his 5" gauge steam loco in his, although it is a model of a Welsh slate quarry Hunslet loco, "Holy War", and not the "Duchess of Hamilton" laugh

Peter.

28/06/2015 23:07:45

Bob, I think your solution to the perennial problem of we more mature people moving heavy models is excellent. It shows what I believe is called "lateral thinking", and is a great idea. One advantage of such big models is their "presence" on the water, something that smaller ones can't achieve, but the big drawback is their weight. Your solution has overcome that problem very nicely.

Peter.

27/06/2015 22:57:50

Absolutely marvellous Bob, you must be chuffed.

Looking at the first few photos I can just hear the following conversation - "What are you doing today sir?"

"Oh, I'm just taking my model boat for a walk, it likes to get out occasionally."laugh

Peter.

Thread: Subscription 'Pop-up'
20/06/2015 23:34:31

Thanks for that Dave, I feel much better nowlaugh

Peter.

19/06/2015 23:56:58

I almost feel left out, I have never seen a popup from MBcrying

Peter.

Thread: My Portsmouth Trip
15/06/2015 23:19:41

All RAN major fleet units have the red kangaroo, either on the exhausts or superstructure. Apparently the roo was originally added to differentiate between Australian and British vessels and, as it happens, the first such emblem was applied to the first HMAS Anzac, a British Battle Class design. She was commissioned in 1951 and decommissioned in October 1974. The current HMAS Anzac was commissioned in 1996.

Peter.

Thread: Amazing Areobatics !
14/06/2015 23:48:14

What a great shot Dave., and extremely accurate flying, I bet that pilot had his elbows tucked in tightlaugh

Peter.

Edited By Peter Fitness on 14/06/2015 23:49:36

Thread: My Portsmouth Trip
14/06/2015 23:44:15

It's good to see an Aussie ship showing our flag in Portsmouth, in the shape of HMAS Anzac. She left Australia on 15th March and was at Gallipoli supporting the 100th Anniversary of the ANZAC landing on 25th April 1915. Her CO is Commander Belinda Wood.

Peter.

Thread: Three Queens in Australia
28/05/2015 00:21:32

Thanks for the comments Bob and Dave. Yes Dave, Sydney harbour really is a beautiful sight, even on a stormy day such as the one in the shot of the Queen Elizabeth. On a sunny day it's absolutely spectacular.

Bob, the red speed boat is a jet drive vessel used to give thrill seeking passengers a high speed run around the harbour. I have not been on it, but those who do need to be prepared to get wet, as it performs some fairly radical manoeurvres in the course of the trip. On this occasion those on board had the added bonus of getting up close and personal with the Queen Victoria, which was making its first (of many) visits to Sydney.

I have no idea of how much fuel would be used on such a voyage, but I do know I would not like to have to pay the billsmiley

Peter.

26/05/2015 23:45:50

The topic title is a bit misleading as, while all three Queens have visited Australia, they have never been here together. However, I have been fortunate enough to have some of my trips to Sydney coincide with visits by the Cunarders, and have the photos to prove itsmiley

I have added one of the QE2 leaving Sydney for the final time, in February 2008, with my wife and me on board, heading for Southampton!

Peter.

01 Queen Victoria.jpg

02 Queen Elizabeth.jpg

03 Queen Mary 2.jpg

04 QE2.jpg

Thread: The Three Queens
25/05/2015 22:55:13

Great shots Dave. I've been looking forward to seeing photos of the 3 Queens together again, and you have not disappointed me.

Peter.

Thread: Cargo liner Amarna
17/05/2015 23:35:41

Lovely model of a great looking subject Bob. I do like that style of ship, maybe it's the proportions, or the clean, uncluttered lines.

Peter.

Thread: A morning walk in Newcastle NSW
13/05/2015 08:10:31

Unlike Dave Wooley, who regularly takes afternoon walks in a location where he can take photos of ships, my walks are usually nowhere near water. However, on a recent caravan trip through outback Queensland and down through the northern tablelands of NSW to Sydney, then home via the east coast of NSW, we visited my wife's home town of Newcastle NSW. Newcastle is at the mouth of the Hunter River, and boasts the largest coal loading facility in the world. It is massive, and is capable of handling many large bulk carriers at the same time. It is served by four rail lines bringing coal in extremely long trains from the mines in the upper Hunter Valley, and operates 24 hours a day. It really is something to see.

We stayed in a caravan park at Stockton, right on the river, on the north side directly opposite the Newcastle CBD, which can be accessed by a small passenger ferry. The ferry operates about every 30 minutes in each direction, and the trip takes only about 6 or 7 minutes.

Unfortunately, the weather was not very good for our stay, and included a terrifying night when winds gusted up to 135 kmh. We were lucky that our van did not suffer any structural damage, although it did leak a little. Much of the greater Newcastle area was blacked out for days, and thousands of trees were literally shredded, creating a huge mess for local councils and residents to clean up.

On the day of our departure the weather cleared, and I took the opportunity to go for a walk along the northern breakwall where I took some photos of some maritime activity at the mouth of the river. The lighthouse is on Nobbys Head, on the southern side of the river mouth, and can be seen in some of the photos. The dirty water, the result of torrential rain in the catchment area, can be clearly seen, as can the delineation between the dirty and clean water.

The first photo is of the Port of Newcastle dredge, David Allan,

Peter.

david allan.jpgdeparture and arrival.jpgdiamantina and darling passing nobbys.jpgmv weaver arrow.jpgoriental treasure.jpgoriental treasure 2.jpgtug carrington.jpgtug darling.jpgtug diamantina.jpgtug koumala.jpgtug murray.jpg

Edited By Peter Fitness on 13/05/2015 08:15:45

Thread: Dave Wooley
13/05/2015 07:28:15

Hello Dave,

It's good to hear that all is well with you. It seems such a long time since you posted an update on your afternoon walk that I was beginning to think that you may have been unwell. I would love to have the opportunity to see all three Queens together. I have seen them all individually, and taken numerous photos when my visits to Sydney coincided with any of the Cunard Queens, but to see them together would be wonderful. Hopefully I can look forward to some photos from you on the forum when the day arrives.

I did my own version of your walk on a recent visit to the port of Newcastle NSW, and managed to get a few reasonable shots of a couple of bulk carriers entering and leaving the Hunter River, together with their attendant tugs, which I'll put on a separate thread when I get a chance.

Peter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor