By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Fitness

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Fitness has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Propshaft
25/02/2009 03:40:30
 Hi David,
While I said some grease can be extruded in fact, very little is. I will do as you suggest, however, and test with and without grease - I may well be surprised.

Peter.
24/02/2009 23:08:17
Ashley, I'm curious as to why you are advising against filling a prop shaft tube with grease. I make my own shaft assemblies, and always install a capped grease tube in the main shaft tube, which is filled with waterproof outboard motor grease. Each end of the prop shaft is fitted with an o-ring, which helps prevent water intrusion, and keeps the bearings lubricated. I understand that there will be some power loss due to the slight friction caused by the grease, but unless you are running fast electrics, this power loss is almost negligible. The only disadvantage I have found to my method is that some grease can be extruded from the shaft, inside the hull, and centrifugal force can fling it around somewhat. To overcome this, I usually fit a small, curved, removable brass plate over the inside bearing.

I have used the above system in all my models, and have never had a water intrusion (via the prop shaft) problem. If I was at home, I would attach a photo illustrating my comments, but I am in Sydney at present, on our son's PC, so I don't have access to my photo library.

Peter.
Thread: Boating locations
23/02/2009 22:55:45
Colin, you are absolutely correct,  it would be far more practical to replace the club list with the links you mentioned.

Peter.
Thread: Active Stabilisers
14/02/2009 00:33:43
Ashley, the instructions with the kit point out the necessity of keeping weight down low for stability, and suggest using 2 NiCd (or similar) battery packs. I weighed one pack, then weighed a 6v 4ah SLA battery, and found that the wight of the NiCd pack was exactly half the weight of the SLA. Accordingly, I use the SLA mounted on the floor of the hull, and with the active stabilisers Sentinel behaves very well.

Peter.

Thread: Website Editorial
13/02/2009 05:25:24
I endorse Colin's comments regarding image resizers. I use VSO Image Resizer for Windows XP (a free download) and it is excellent, not only for posting pictures on a forum, but also for quicker emailing.

Peter. 
Thread: quo vadis?
13/02/2009 05:16:28
The old argument of RTR v kit v scratch built has no definitive answer, it is simply a matter of personal preference. Which route we decide to go down depends on a number of factors, in many cases it is time, or a lack of it. In others it may be an unwillingness to tackle what may seem to be a difficult build, due to a perceived lack of skill.

Personally, I have never bought an RTR model, but I have built 3 kits. However, my preference is scratch building, for a number of reasons - it gives a wider choice of subject and, for me anyway, presents many challenges which I enjoy. How successfully I meet the challenges I will leave to others to judge.

Peter. 
Thread: Active Stabilisers
13/02/2009 04:57:40
Ashley, the stabilisers in the Model Slipway "Sentinel" are very effective in helping to keep the boat upright in a turn. The model is relatively top heavy, and has a shallow draught, so it's quite "tender" when turning. I have the stabilisers in my model connected as per the instructions in the kit, and they work very well.

Peter. 
Thread: Workshop
11/02/2009 22:07:26

I'll second that Bob, get well soon Paul.

This is my workshop, a 3 metre by 3 metre garden shed which, at the moment, has been reaching temperatures of over 40 Celsius. The fan helps

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor