By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Banjoman

Here is a list of all the postings Banjoman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spider J
03/07/2018 15:53:33

Gareth,

For my part, I am inclined to think that you would bet better off with the first alternative, i.e. a locking pin.

If you were to make the eye on the end of the roller as unobtrusive as you could get away with, without compromising to much on its strength, and also moved it as far to the right (as shown in the photo) of the roller as possible, and the drilled a hole for the pin through the upright strut, I should both work and look "right".

Although it would of course be a deviation from true scale representation, I don't think that it would look clumsy at all, but quite realistic and "made", if you see what I mean. You might even consider inserting two or three such (smaller) eyes around the circumference of the roller, to give you a choice of locking positions for more precise adjustment ...

Mattias

Thread: Thames Tug Cullamix
02/07/2018 10:30:30

Ray,

As Bob says, a very nice model indeed -- and she looks really great on the water!

Mattias

Thread: Spider J
02/07/2018 09:03:09

Gareth,

That looks truly great!

Are those stayfall chain blocks made from scratch? They really look the business -- and from what one can see do the business, too, don't they? I mean, the stayfall tackle works the same as the full size one, doesn't it?

Mattias

Thread: Spot the missing workshop
28/06/2018 06:14:33

Dave,

That is looking very, very nice indeed!

I also note in one of the photos what looks like preparations for an access point in the floor to that drainage cover that was mentioned early on in the thread ...

Mattias

Thread: Iron barque completed
28/06/2018 06:09:21

Bob,

That is very distressing news indeed, and a real pity with such a lovely model -- please accept my sincere sympathies!

Mattias

PS. For the benefit of clarity, although, as Bob says, the package was on its way to Belgium, I was not the intended recipient; there are +/- 11 million others within the borders of said entity, one or a few of whom will now be sorely disappointed, I'm sure ...

27/06/2018 13:11:34
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 27/06/2018 12:59:28:

They are here NOW!!!

Hooray!!! Sometimes, just sometimes, Christmas does come early!

Looking forward with much interest to the upcoming photo reportage ...

Mattias

Thread: What a difference 10 thou makes ...
26/06/2018 07:06:18

Well! Yesterday, I took delivery of two large packages from the US of A ...

verktyg274.jpg

... with a thickness sander in the larger one ...

verktyg275.jpg

... and a disc sander in the smaller; both from Byrnes Model Machines in Florida!

verktyg276.jpg

To give them both a wee trial run, I picked up the slice of oak that I'd previously produced with the resawing cradle on the bandsaw (see previous posts in the thread), and had since then also taken through my Proxxon planer and thicknesser.

When I picked it up it, it had a nice and smooth enough surface, but was of a slightly uneven thickness, with one long edge averaging about 5.5 mm and the other clocking in at around 6.25 to 6.75 mm.

verktyg277.jpg

By a suitable number of passes through the thickness sander, it was then taken down to exactly 5 mm thick, within a measured margin of error of +/- 0.02 mm.

The short ends had not been squared off ...

verktyg278.jpg

... but the disc sander ...

verktyg279.jpg

... sorted that out in a jiffy!

verktyg280.jpg

I then proceeded to cut five strips off from the finished piece of oak, each strip between 1.3 and 1.4 mm thick on average.

verktyg281.jpg

These strips I then ran through the thickness sander until they were all 1.0 mm thick within a measured deviation of +/- 0.01 mm.

verktyg282.jpg

This to my mind is more than enough precise, and thus I now have a complete model timber sawmill in place with which I can produce all strip wood I need straight from (not too large) rough stock!

I'm not saying I will never buy ready-made strip wood again, but I am no longer dependent on doing so; also, in particular for more exotic woods, I suspect that it will be considerably less expensive. For example, the pear strip I used to lay the deck on Moonbeam was something like £1.15 per three feet ... Of excellent quality, and worth every penny, certainly, but it quickly adds up! Not that I think the savings will be so important that the machines will come anywhere close to paying for themselves anytime soon, but it is at least an added benefit.

Furthermore, when you have to send off for it, it can be quite tricky to calculate just how much you need of various dimensions. By milling your own, you can produce any dimensions required as you go along, and if you run out of a smaller size, some additional stuff can easily be made up from the next larger one ...

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 26/06/2018 07:07:01

Thread: Todays Boating
25/06/2018 10:39:35

Ashley,

A very well camouflaged Tirpitz, I must say, at least in that photo!

Am a tad puzzled, though, by a pirate ship that flies both the Jolly Roger and a Union Jack ...

Mattias

22/06/2018 09:49:41

That's very good news indeed, Dave!

For my part, if there's one thing that really gets on my nerves, it's having to wait for delivery of whatever it might be -- any new toy, once I've decided to get it, I want it yesterday! I currently have my two parcels from Byrnes Model Machines going through customs clearance, and keep checking the UPS app for potential progress about once every 30 minutes or so ...

Anyway, all my best wishes for next week's Jigsaw Assembly Party to be a great success!

Mattias

Thread: Remodelling
21/06/2018 06:06:19

Matthieu,

About subscriptions, I live in Belgium and have no problems getting the magazine both physically delivered on paper and through digital access, with a "paper+digital" (duh!) subscription!

Mattias

Thread: Descisions: upgrade a 1/72 corvette or buy a Coastal Craft Fairmile D
18/06/2018 06:34:33

Mike,

As Ashley says, this essentially boils down to "yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chances" ... or in other words what kind of model builder you are, and in consequence what you are likely to take more pleasure from: getting one model just so, or getting to build two different ones.

For what it's worth (not much!), for my part I tend to favour spending my time and money on fewer models rather than more, and so far I have only ever had one project on the go at a time. Also, to my mind the fact that you intend to build a static model argues in favour of the photo-etch. If your Snowberry were to be converted to r/c and go on the water, it would perhaps be more important to aim for maximum sturdiness and consider the fact that most of the time that counts, the model would only be seen at quite a distance. However, a static build is likely to be most often looked at from much closer by, where the added detail (and quality of detail) will make much more of a difference; the model will also be much more protected (perhaps even in a glass case?) or at least much less likely to be knocked about.

My personal experience of photo-etch is limited, but I have been at it enough to know that it can be frightfully fiddly, but also that the result, if worked with reasonable care and attention, can be really lovely, and that it allows for much finer and better-to-scale detail than styrene plastic.

Again, whether or not it'll be worth it for you, nobody but yourself can say.

Now, I am not at all up to scratch on which updates exist, in which bundles or combinations, but if you were to go for the middle road option of getting the Fairmile and just some of the photo etch, I'd say that to my mind, top candidates for replacement on that type of vessel would be things like railings and stanchions, ladders, companionways and smaller caliber armament.

I'm sure you have already done this, but if not, I would also suggest two further lines of inquiry, namely to image Google the matter, and to trawl the various plastic modelling fora out there. In the latter case, I'd of course suggest to look for the kit in question, with and without photo etch, but also in general at what the plastic crowd does with photo etch on e.g. tanks and suchlike -- this'll give you much more of an idea what sort of difference it can make, and might help you better understand how much (or little) that approach appeals to you?!

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 18/06/2018 06:34:59

Edited By Banjoman on 18/06/2018 06:36:24

Thread: Moonbeam Maiden Sail
15/06/2018 11:10:31

Hello Gareth,

Coming from someone with your experience and skills, that is praise indeed, and, blushing, I can only say thank you very, very much indeed for your kind words!

And next?

Well, first up will be a scratch built Fairey Huntsman 31 from Dave Milbourn's plans.

After that, I have the 1:12 kit from Tony Green Steam Models (i.e. the ex-Dave Metcalf kit) for the RNLB Alice Upjohn waiting in its box under my workbench.

After that, I'm not yet sure about the exact order of construction, but plan to scratch build

• a 1:6 steam launch from the old Wide-A-Wake plans, including machining and putting together a Stuart D10 from castings (that part of the project will have to wait, though, until I have at least a lathe);
  • a 1:10 (or maybe 1:12) circa 1920's vintage motor boat based on one or the other of C.G. Pettersson's +/- 1,000 designs (**LINK**);
  • a 1:96 or (if, I succumb to the temptations of megalomania) 1:48 static model of the four-masted barque Moshulu based on Malcolm Darch's plans; and
  • a 1:35 model of the Stockholm--Vaxholm line steamship S/S Norrskär (**LINK**).

And then ... well, once that list has been gone through, we should be at least 20 years or so down the road, when I will be getting on for looking 75 in the eyes, so further than that I don't yet make any plans. Let's just say that I'm not overly worried about having nowt do keep me busy once I retire ...

But first, thus, the Fairey!

I will probably not get started on that until the autumn, though, as I am currently spending all my model building budget on more and improved sledge hammers to crack future nuts even more comprehensively; specifically I am currently awaiting delivery of two more (I already have their wonderful table saw) beauties from Byrnes Model Machines (**LINK**) in the form of their disc and thickness sanders ...

Also, this time of the year, 'tis the season when a fair amount of one's free time is taken up by the garden -- tomorrow, f'r instance, I have some 40 meters or so of ivy hedges to trim ...

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 15/06/2018 11:11:00

Edited By Banjoman on 15/06/2018 11:11:48

Edited By Banjoman on 15/06/2018 11:12:05

Edited By Banjoman on 15/06/2018 11:12:28

Edited By Banjoman on 15/06/2018 11:25:06

Thread: Eezebilt PT Boat
15/06/2018 06:31:09

Tim,

That looks very nice indeed! Congratulations on a successful build and even more so on a successful maiden voyage!

Mattias

Thread: Moonbeam Maiden Sail
11/06/2018 06:16:34

Hello, Ray and Eddie,

Warmest thanks for your kind words!

And yes, Eddie, I will admit to a reasonable amount of pride on how the sails turned out, but much more than proud I am just simply happy and pleased with the result

Mattias

PS. Many thanks, too, to whomever of the moderators that spotted my typo in the thread title and kindly corrected it even before I'd gotten round to ask for it!

Edited By Banjoman on 11/06/2018 06:20:14

10/06/2018 16:02:36

Well! And well! again!

At long last, decent weather and no chores decided to happen on the same Sunday morning, so off I went to the club pond just outside Mechelen, and finally got to put my Moonbeam on the water for her maiden sailing!

The wind was variable in all senses, both in strength and direction, but as reputed, Moonbeam glided off quite niceley even under only the weakest hint of a waft, and, whenever the wind picked up a little, went like the proverbial clappers!

I also found her extremely well balanced, and with the sails set just so she would move in what at least from shore looked like a perfecty straight line without the need of any rudder at all.

She tacks beautifully, and goes about on a penny with no hesitation at all, no matter whether tacking or luffing.

All in all huge fun to sail, and a most satisfactory first time on the water!

Here is a short video ...

and below some still photos from this morning.

As I was alone at the pond for the first hour or so, both video and photos were taken by myself with one hand while sailing the boat with the other, a not entirely straightforward task for one who hasn't had a model yacht on the water since 1981 ...

mbsail1.jpg

mbsail2.jpg

mbsail3.jpg

mbsail4.jpg

mbsail5.jpg

mbsail6.jpg

In other words, I didn't quite dare to go for any nice close-ups or water level photos, as I was afraid that even five seconds of inattention if sailing that close to shore might lead to Moonbeam running full tilt into the pond edge ...

Cheers,

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 10/06/2018 16:03:31

Edited By Banjoman on 10/06/2018 16:04:25

Edited By Banjoman on 10/06/2018 16:04:49

Thread: Iron barque completed
10/06/2018 15:51:08

I entirely agree with previous comments – a truly beautiful model, as always when coming out of your hands, Bob!

Mattias

04/06/2018 13:59:18

Dave,

Very interesting indeed, and thanks for sharing progress on your workshop with us!

Do you plan to have the cabin additionally insulated and/or heated in any way?

Mattias

Thread: Moonbeam
04/06/2018 12:11:35

Hello Rudy,

And many thanks for asking!

The answer is "no, not yet, I'm afraid", as we had our main holidays very early this year, and so have been away for the better part of May; and while yesterday would have been an otherwise perfect day for it, alas!, the club pond was inaccessible all last weekend because of some major sporting event (bah! humbug!) or other at the same site.

However, I'm keeping a beady eye on both my agenda and the weather, and am hopeful that the required happy confluence of free time and suitable weather will occur one of the coming weekends ...

Mattias

Thread: RMS Tantallon Castle
27/04/2018 07:06:00

Bob,

Well! You learn something new every day -- about the colour scheme, I mean; many thanks for the information!

The Union-Castle line, I had already heard of, mainly because Ernest Shackleton worked as a Merchant Navy officer for them before going into exploration.

Mattias

26/04/2018 11:50:45

A very nice drawing as usual, Bob, of a very pretty ship.

Interesting colour scheme, though; did she really have her topsides painted mauve, or is it a trick of the computer colour reproduction?

Mattias

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor